WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

So far I know of no gaiter that would fit good enough to protect trailrunners. But then, all gaiters I own or ever have seen here are designed for mountiain boots (wide cut) or backcountry skier boot (extra wide cut).
    The OR gaiters in your link are specifically designed for your kind of shoes, never seen such here. Do these really work fine in snow?
    Last winter I started the last of a series of endurance hikes when heavy snowfall set in, plus I had to follow a stretch of ~10km with no recent tracks through deep snow. Knee-deep to mid-thigh-deep. After 1hr I was not only exhausted, but all my shoe/gaiter/trousers/raintrousers system had started to fail and I got soaked. Had to retrace finally and go back home.
    I've learned that there is good reason why everybody is using (backcountry-) skiers for such Tasks and conditions.
    Looking forward to a personal encounter of your trails, hopefully this spring!

@nsherry-- I have looked up the vapor barrier sock thing. Some stuff I've read say that the colder the better. Otherwise, your socks just sweat. Do you agree with this? I don't think it usually gets that cold here. If it were say -10 degrees here (rarely), I'd just wait a couple weeks and go out then.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++