WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I have gear from zpacks, ula, and enlightened equipment that was manufactured in the U.S. but I bought each item because it was the best on the market for my particular needs. U.S. Manufacturing is not dead but it doesn't make sense to manufacture cheap commodity goods here and manufacturers that succeed have gone up the value chain. I don't consider a $30 Wal-Mart sleeping bag competition for my zpacks bag that cost 13x or my EE bag that cost 10x but the majority of campers and hikers will go for low cost and that's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I had no idea they even made that much.
    I'm sorry.
    My mistake.
    $300 a month.
    About $75 a week or $15 a day.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    I'm sorry.
    My mistake.
    $300 a month.
    About $75 a week or $15 a day.
    thats still more than the figures I always thought it was.

Most, not all, of my soft goods (clothing) are made in Asia.
    Packs, tent, tarp, pads, stoves, beanies, trowl, sleeping bag, socks (wool and down) are made in the US.
    I also have some gear made in England, Spain, Czech, and Japan.

So no, not everything is made in China.

These discussions always remind me of the time a few decades ago when I showed up at my father's place in New Hampshire in a VW Rabbit. He excoriated me for not buying "American" as he leaned on his Chevy Pickup. I politely pointed out that my car had been made in Westmoreland PA, whereas his truck had been made by GM in Canada. A quick change of subject ensued.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Quote Originally Posted by wordstew View Post
    I admit it I have bought some camping/hiking items that were obviously from China and for the most part turned out to be pretty good. However I find that when I believe I'm buying "American Made" I usually later discover that the manufacturer has sourced some if not all of the product parts or manufacturing to/from China.

what's your opinion should we be trying to only purchase "American Made" gear?
    As a cottage gear maker, I try to source what I can from USA sources, but it's tough to get to 100%. In the interest of full disclosure, I do buy titanium foil from China, but then make the windscreens I sell myself, in Ohio. Titanium sheets for trowels, spatulas and stoves I've been able to get from USA sources. All the titanium cuting is done locally in an Ohio shop. I do resell Toaks pots as part of my complete kits; these pots are made overseas. The blades for the Little Buck saws come from Europe, as I cannot find a USA manufacturer that has the quality blade I want. The aluminum tubes for the saws are made in the USA. So even with best intentions, there are some components of my gear that are not from USA. These are some examples of challenges and successes that may interest the community.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Most of my gear is made in the USA.
    I can not say that I chose the companies I use BC of the fact that they are made in the US, it just happens to be that the higher quality, cottage companies are in the USA. I do have pride for the USA flag on some of my gear, and I appreciate that they were made here but I would not use a lesser quality item JUST because it was made here.
    I drive a Toyota why? Because of the quality. (Yes I know they are made in the USA, but it aint a ford!)
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

You could extend this discussion from gear/equipment to supplies. How many hikers resupply at dollar stores? We all know why they can sell things for a dollar, right? I have no problem with people choosing to buy American made products for whatever reason. What annoys me are the people who complain about the lack of American made products and then shop at the dollar store while extolling the value of free-market capitalism. It's like they don't understand what the word "Free" means.

FWIW, I bought my tent, quilt, pack, and socks from companies that manufacture in the USA, not for patriotic reasons, but mainly because they are from cottage companies that make superior products not available elsewhere. My snapps is from Sweden, but when that runs out, there is a local distillery that makes an Akavit I will have to try. Otherwise a replacement bottle would be only 20$ at the duty-free shop, but the RT plane ticket to ARN is $1000!

Registered Offender

Everything but babies are made in China now; they're made in VaChina.

The sales market is a global place now. It's cheaper to ship a product halfway around the world than to pay higher manufacturing wages locally. And because we consumers want inexpensive goods and high paying jobs, we're in a bit of an ongoing conundrum which we helped create. Machines/robots will drop prices further, but at what cost? As it always does, time will tell.

Both Wal-Mart and Amazon would not have grown to their current proportions had 'Made in USA' mattered all that much. It's no longer a sign of quality with most products, anyhow.

Darn Tough socks, made in Vermont with a lifetime guarantee, have a new AT logo quarter sock. Buy through the ATC, and you're sending some dough to the trail!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Darn Tough socks, made in Vermont with a lifetime guarantee, have a new AT logo quarter sock. Buy through the ATC, and you're sending some dough to the trail!
    The owner is quite proud that he has kept production at the factory in VT. They supply the US military which requires US production. Lifetime guarantee to boot.

Quote Originally Posted by QiWiz View Post
    As a cottage gear maker, I try to source what I can from USA sources, but it's tough to get to 100%. In the interest of full disclosure, I do buy titanium foil from China, but then make the windscreens I sell myself, in Ohio. Titanium sheets for trowels, spatulas and stoves I've been able to get from USA sources. All the titanium cuting is done locally in an Ohio shop. I do resell Toaks pots as part of my complete kits; these pots are made overseas. The blades for the Little Buck saws come from Europe, as I cannot find a USA manufacturer that has the quality blade I want. The aluminum tubes for the saws are made in the USA. So even with best intentions, there are some components of my gear that are not from USA. These are some examples of challenges and successes that may interest the community.
    Your post is a great extension of what I was trying to get at earlier. Back in the WW2 timeframe and after, I'm guessing it would be hard to find anything that couldn't be sourced in the usa. Knife blades, sure, likely many good quality choices. metal sheets or foil...sure (although maybe not titanium so much back in those days)

I buy American made as much as possible for selfish reasons. I'm a land surveyor and when people buy houses it's good for business. The odds of some Chinese factory worker buying a house in my area is pretty slim.

The majority of my antique and newish big items, sleeping bag and tent, were made either in the USA or Europe. My newest clothing and MSR tent were made in Asia, Jordan, Bangladesh, Taiwan, etc.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    You could extend this discussion from gear/equipment to supplies. How many hikers resupply at dollar stores? We all know why they can sell things for a dollar, right? I have no problem with people choosing to buy American made products for whatever reason. What annoys me are the people who complain about the lack of American made products and then shop at the dollar store while extolling the value of free-market capitalism. It's like they don't understand what the word "Free" mea
    I shopped at dollar stores all the time when I did my through hike. The only things I recall buying were food items and maybe alkaline batteries, ibuprofin, disposable wipes, etc. It was all made in the USA. I don't buy your premise. Of course, some dollar stores charge a lot more than a dollar for many items.

Rummaging through my cold weather clothes I discovered that the Patagonia balaclava dating from the mid-90s was made in the USA. Who would have guessed it?
    DOLLAR STORES:
    In Elk Park, NC approximately 1 mile from the NC-TN border.
    Approximately 0.3 miles past the Dollar Store there is a local market and gas station.
    Wayne

Images

Love my made in the USA Tarptent.IMG_5315.JPG
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Are made in the USA labels actually made in the USA?

Images

Fancee Feest stove, 100% parts and labor, made in USA "Shug" made in USA also....what's not to like about him :-)

While I do not specifically go looking for Made in USA products, it may make a decision between 2 equal products easier. However, a lot of my gear is American made simply because I have a lot of cottage gear from TarpTent, ZPacks, etc.

The parts and material aspect is less important to me. As long as the final manufacturing is done in the US, it is providing a job here instead of overseas.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++