WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Reservoir Comparison and Advice

Hi all,

I'm trying to decide between the Platypus 2L reservoir (5.6oz) and the Osprey 2.5L LT (5.9oz). The Platypus is .3oz lighter but is also 15.6"x7.9" compared to the Osprey's 15x8" dimensions, so I was thinking the Osprey might be easier to handle and won't take up as much usable space. This past season I hiked Durango to Silverton around Labor day weekend with a 3L CamelBak reservoir (18x9, 8oz) and it was way more than I ever needed, I also had a Smart Water .75l bottle too, and it went down so far that it made getting it in the pack much more difficult and time consuming.

Whichever one I go with will be a noticeable step up in terms of weight and space but I'd love some advice from those that have used either or both of these. I'm also interested in the ease of use as far as opening, filling, and closing. The amount of time it takes to get water really adds up.

I'm a bottle-drinker, so I can't really help you with your question about which is the better hydration system. However, I would say that you'll probably want more holding capacity than 2.0 litres or or 2.5 litres. Most days on the CT, you'll encounter plenty of water and you don't really need to carry more than 1 litre. But, there are 3 or 4 medium-length stretches where you might not find any water, and 2 litres would be pushing it, and 2.5 would only be a bit better.

The first of these stretches is a 10 or 11 mile section burned section after you cross the Platte River. The altitude on this stretch is only 7,000 or 8,000 feet, so it's not unusual to have temps in the high-80s, and you are fully exposed to the sun. For a section like this, I will normally drink a bit more than 2 litres, and if it's hot, then it might even require 3 litres.

The second of these stretches is from Lujan Creek to the Cochetope Creek. It could be 10-ish miles without water in a wet year, but in a dry year it might be 17 or 18 miles. It's cooler in this section because of the altitude, but you're still exposed to the sun. I would tend to use about 4 litres if there's no water for 17 or 18 miles.

The third section you've already done, which is the day that takes you to the Kennebec Pass. On both of my thru hikes, I found water, but there's a stretch of 15 or so miles where there's no guarantee that you'll find a spring running. So, that section would probably require a full three litres of water for me.

Irrespective of which hydration system that you choose, you'll need to find a strategy to augment your carrying capacity for the few sections where water is more scarce. A couple of Smart Water bottles would do the trick, or you could use what I like to carry, which is the light weight Platypus Soft bottle. The soft bottle weighs about an ounce, but when you don't need it, you can roll it up into a compact size.

Enjoy the hike!

Over the years, five of my hydration bladders have failed, three were Camelbacks, one was an Osprey, and the third was a Platypus. The Platypus lasted seven years before it gave up, so I stick to their products at present.
    No hydration bladder I have used is easy to fill, irrespective of the diameter of the opening.

All bladders/bags fail at most inopportune times! I had a sawyer fail early on JMT and evernew 2l fail on CT at platte river just before the burn area in July! I always carry at least a 1l bottle that can double as a dirty water bladder for sawyer filter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The reservoir will only be 2-2.5 but I'll have a max capacity of 3.5-4 with my one clean bottle and one dirty bottle.

Good to know about the reliability of Platypus, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mckillio View Post
    . . . Good to know about the reliability of Platypus, thanks.
    I can't speak from personal experience, but from many customer comments, mostly competitive mountain bikers in Oregon, the CamelBaks are by far the most reliable and problem free of the bladder options out there (including specifically Platypus) and their bite valves are also the very best. I can speak for the superiority of the bite valves from personal experience. The difference in bite valve performance is SIGNIFICANT!

CamelBak bladders have changed significantly over the last 10 years. They currently carry a lifetime guaranty against failure, and have for about the last five years, if I recall correctly.

Personally, for backpacking, I carry the 2 L platypus bottle (or two in the desert) as my backup large volume water reservoir and sleeping pillow. When I want a reservoir with hose, which I don't use backpacking, I use a CamelBak.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

I have 4 of the Osprey 3L older style bladders that we use for extended desert hiking. The newer versions are lighter, but still have the stiff backing. This makes entry and exit into the pack easier. You can fill it without fully removing it.
    Haven't had any failures, but I treat my equipment with kid gloves.

Darwin just turned me onto these, the Vecto Water Container. Looks exactly like what I was looking for. The only downside is it only comes in a 2L
    https://cnocoutdoors.com/products/vecto-water-container

Works for me in various combinations:
    Platypus Hoser. Pick a size. Mine is 2 L.
    Platypus 1L Soft bottle & hose+bite valve
    Spare Platypus caps.
    BeFree Filter & Hydrapak 2L soft canteen
    OR Bottle holster on pack belt+1 liter bottle, brand varies.
    2 to 6 liter capacity as needed. 2-3 liters is my norm.
    Wayne

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

The system that works for me is a 2L Evernew bladder, 2L Platypus Hoser, and a pair of 0.5L water bottles.

The Evernew is the dirty water bag that screws directly to my Sawyer filter.
    If you use SmartWater bottles, one of these can substitute as a dirty water container for your filter if the Evernew bladder gets damaged.
    The stiff thick hose that comes with the Hoser was replaced with food-grade surgical tubing. This allows me to use the Sawyer in "gravity feed" mode.

I've attached a water bottle pouch to the waist belt of my pack, and I can reach the side pockets on my pack without stopping.

During my JMT thru, I would start the day both water bottles (0.5L + 0.5L) and the Platypus (2.0L) full.
    When I finished the 1st water bottle, I would swap the two while on the move.
    When I finished the 2nd water bottle, I would stop to refill the water bottles from the Platypus.
    When I finished the 3rd water bottle, I would swap the two while on the move.
    When I finished the 4th water bottle, I would stop to refill the water bottles from the Platypus.
    While working on the 5th and 6th water bottles, I would search for a water source to refill the Platypus.

If I knew I was about to start a dry area, I would obviously break this pattern early and refill the water bottles and the Platypus.
    I never had to... but if I ever did have to go farther than the water sources available on the JMT, this system allows me to start with as much as 5L of water.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    The system that works for me is a 2L Evernew bladder, 2L Platypus Hoser, and a pair of 0.5L water bottles.

The Evernew is the dirty water bag that screws directly to my Sawyer filter.
    If you use SmartWater bottles, one of these can substitute as a dirty water container for your filter if the Evernew bladder gets damaged.
    The stiff thick hose that comes with the Hoser was replaced with food-grade surgical tubing. This allows me to use the Sawyer in "gravity feed" mode.

I've attached a water bottle pouch to the waist belt of my pack, and I can reach the side pockets on my pack without stopping.

During my JMT thru, I would start the day both water bottles (0.5L + 0.5L) and the Platypus (2.0L) full.
    When I finished the 1st water bottle, I would swap the two while on the move.
    When I finished the 2nd water bottle, I would stop to refill the water bottles from the Platypus.
    When I finished the 3rd water bottle, I would swap the two while on the move.
    When I finished the 4th water bottle, I would stop to refill the water bottles from the Platypus.
    While working on the 5th and 6th water bottles, I would search for a water source to refill the Platypus.

If I knew I was about to start a dry area, I would obviously break this pattern early and refill the water bottles and the Platypus.
    I never had to... but if I ever did have to go farther than the water sources available on the JMT, this system allows me to start with as much as 5L of water.
    That seems like a very good system, and very close to what I’ve been looking at doing as well. My only difference is I’ve been using an MSR 3L for a dirty water bag, the Platypus, and a single 1L Nalgene. I think I like your setup a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    That seems like a very good system, and very close to what I’ve been looking at doing as well. My only difference is I’ve been using an MSR 3L for a dirty water bag, the Platypus, and a single 1L Nalgene. I think I like your setup a bit better.
    No difference with what I’m doing except I omitted the swallow by swallow play by play of how I use the components. I can drink directly from the BeFree filter on the Hydrapak soft bottle.
    Wayne

Drub Weight of components above:
    1 & 2 liter Platypus containers with hoses
    BeFree filter and 2 liter Hydrapak container.
    10.6 ounces,
    2.2 ounces per liter of water capacity.
    Osprey 2 liter reservoir weighs 10.5 ounces.
    This old dog can do S.U.L.!
    Wayne

Auto Correct strikes again.
    DRY Weight of components.
    Wayne

Images

Been using Platypus 2L with hose attachment for years. Also, carry a spare Platy 2L (actually holds 2.4L) in case of problem or if long distance between water. Have had some develop leaks, but Cascade Designs has been very good about replacing for free.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

++ New Posts ++