WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Great suggestions, Luna and ratamahattayou. Thank you!

Journal Entries
    Images

Duplicate Post
    Last edited by rickb; 12-12-2017 at 08:03.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Shackleton’s voyage to Antarctica aboard the Endurance. Look for “South With Endurance” and Frank Hurley’s photography.
    An amazing story.
    Yes!

Not only one of the most amazing stories, there have been so many books written on the topic they exist at many different reading levels. Alfred Lansing’s is the classic one — no pictures but relatively short. There have even been one’s written around the ship’s cat, I think.

Added plus — happy ending for the men involved.

If you want to include a short story, consider Jack London’s “To Build a Fire”. I don’t think it ended up so well for the man, but his dog did better (as I recall).

Both of those may well stay with their readers for a lifetime.
    Last edited by rickb; 12-12-2017 at 08:05.

Link to Touching the Void... https://www.amazon.com/Touching-Void.../dp/0060730552

First person account by Joe Simpson

Interesting enough, nobody mentions one of the countless books about the Lewis&Clark expedition, esp. the ones that are more focused on Sacajawea.
    This is a story nobody knows here in Europe, and it was a fascinating reading for me. Some would fit perfectly for kids, I think.
    While some other books mentioned above still send shivers over my back (and I'd hesistant exposing my kids to), like Joe Simpsons Story, or the novel from Jack London.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    ​My Side of The Mountain
    LOVED that book! Probably read that at least 5 times when I was a kid.

That story not only helped influence my love of the outdoors and adventures of all kinds, but really illustrated and inspired the concept of self-sufficiency. For a ten year-old girl back then, that was kind of a big deal.

(I also loved and learned from "Dove", the story of Robin Graham, who set off as a teenager on a solo trip to sail around the world.)
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post
    LOVED that book! Probably read that at least 5 times when I was a kid.

That story not only helped influence my love of the outdoors and adventures of all kinds, but really illustrated and inspired the concept of self-sufficiency. For a ten year-old girl back then, that was kind of a big deal.

(I also loved and learned from "Dove", the story of Robin Graham, who set off as a teenager on a solo trip to sail around the world.)
    It was a great book (now that someone remembered the name).

"Lost in a Mountain in Maine" is another one that was required reading for Maine school kids.

Try "Forever on the Mountain". A fine true story of the worst mountaineering tragedy on Denali. Not like an Everest or K-2 climbing story, but has lots of simple lessons about how conditions change and how safety and communication are key.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    While some other books mentioned above still send shivers over my back (and I'd hesistant exposing my kids to), like Joe Simpsons Story, or the novel from Jack London.
    Some other books listed here might not be suitable for kids and some clearly focus more on death rather than survival. Having said this, I refused to let my son do a Presidential Traverse with his friends until he read a chapter out of "Not Without Peril" that I selected for him.

Quote Originally Posted by TwoSpirits View Post

Another great book, though not on this topic.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    Interesting enough, nobody mentions one of the countless books about the Lewis&Clark expedition, esp. the ones that are more focused on Sacajawea.
    This is a story nobody knows here in Europe, and it was a fascinating reading for me. Some would fit perfectly for kids, I think.
    Thanks Leo! I’m sitting here within sight of Stephen Ambrose’s Undaunted Courage and didn’t think to include it.
    Wayne

Journal Entries
    Images

Before he popped that cork on Katahdin, Aaron Ralston wrote a book on how he survived his ordeal.

I just watched the movie, but I can think most kids could handle the story.

Hell, my parents took my brother and I to see Deliverance when I was eleven or twelve and look how I turned out.

I can still recall my mother saying “that” had to be as bad for a man as for a woman as we left, without fully understanding her maternal misgivings for this fun family night out however. With other people’s kids, I would not recommend that one, though.
    Last edited by rickb; 12-14-2017 at 17:06.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Before he popped that cork on Katahdin, Aaron Ralston wrote a book on how he survived his ordeal.

I just watched the movie, but I can think most kids could handle the story.

Hell, my parents took my brother and I to see Deliverance when I was eleven or twelve and look how I turned out.

I can still recall my mother saying “that” had to be as bad for a man as for a woman as we left, without fully understanding her maternal misgivings for this fun family night out however. With other people’s kids, I would not recommend that one, though.
    Great story, aside from not letting a responsible person know of your hiking plans and sticking to em, my biggest take away from this story...keep a sharp knife, always!

The Crystal Horizon, Reinhold Messner

The Last Place on Earth, Roland Huntford

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++