WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Re-supply options

I am planning on a thru-hike with a friend of mine in April, 2018. I have section hiked about 500 miles total (distances from 20-90 miles at a time). Looking ahead, I am hoping to minimize mail drops, but am concerned about the ready availability of other re-supply options, both in general and for specific items. In general, my concern is keeping the number of days until the next re-supply to a reasonable minimum. For specifics, I am most concerned about specific foods that I rely on especially Mountain House or other freeze-dried meals (that may not be available at many stores), and then also Esbit fuel. I'd be interested in what others have experienced about the availability of those specific items. Thanks in advance.

Mountain House meals everyday on a thru hike? That's an insanely expensive diet for a thru hike. But I suppose, as long as there is a Walmart handy, which is a reasonably frequent occurrence, you can get them. They don't have Esbit, but do have something similar. Barbeque brick fire starter is basically the same thing. Consider using an alcohol stove as back up. Or the Esbits as backup to the alky stove.

In between, eat what everyone else eats. Lipton Sides with tuna. Available nearly anywhere. Dollar General stores are also frequent and stock the basic hiker diet.

How often you go off trail to resupply is a trade off. Frequent trips to a store lets you carry less food, but takes more time. I try to go about 5 days between stops but never more then 6 1/2. Lots of times you can cut that down to 3 days without going out of the way. Basically you have to schedule as you go based on how far the next convenient stop is and if there are any "limited supply" options (restock snacks) along the way.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

Your plan going into your thru is good as long as you are willing to adapt to your thru.

You will not want MH meals after a short time but will reserve them for the last days before resupply (weight savings, and once in a while are not bad).

While Esbit may be increasingly available, learning about simple do it yourself 'do it on trail' alchy stoves would be a great value. A discarded soda/beer can can be made into a workable stove with just the smallest of knifes, but you should do this on your own to know what you can make.

On average you can be in town easily every 3rd night on the AT (though remote hostels are included in this), but plenty of opportunity to change and learn. Good Luck

Get AWOL's AT Guide as soon as it becomes available (early next month), and you'll be able to determine resupply points and the likelihood of getting what you want. At a Walmart you'll have a good selection to choose from; at a gas station you can pick either mac & cheese or Ramen noodles.

Yeah, at this point, thinking about Mountain House most days (but only 1 per day). I really love the Mountain House meals for the ability to just pour in water and not have pan cleanup. I'm open to considering other options based on experience. I've budgeted $4,500 for the entire trip; hoping that is enough. I saw the Coghlin's fuel tablets at WalMart (online) but couldn't find them in the store. Could be just because it's out of season right now though. An alcohol stove sounds like a good suggestion as a backup; just really cautious about adding weight. However, I don't want to be without fuel either. My friend and I will be making a trip to the local Dollar Store to scope out some options and will check out your Lipton Sides suggestion.

My friend and I did a short hike on the Foothills Trail; we had planned on 10 days (and was carrying the full ten days of food - no fun). Only made it four days when we learned that Hurricane Nate was making an appearance in the area. But that is why we were concerned about not carrying too much food - learned our lesson. At the same time, we were only going 5-8 miles per day to start. I know that will increase over time, but we want to give ourselves time to build up to that.

Freeze dried meals seem easy...until you try others. I use to rely on them, now I'm not sure ill ever eat another. Expensive, bulky and messy if you ask me. There's millions of food options online, dont limit yourself

Put the Walmart app on your phone. Order anything you like and have it sent to the next Walmart up the trail. You would be amazed at what’s available.
    As for “eat Lipton Sides and tuna like everyone else”:
    If that’s what it takes to Thru-Hike, count me out.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    Get AWOL's AT Guide as soon as it becomes available (early next month), and you'll be able to determine resupply points and the likelihood of getting what you want. At a Walmart you'll have a good selection to choose from; at a gas station you can pick either mac & cheese or Ramen noodles.
    It is out for Pre Sale and ships when published. I have already Pre Ordered my copy.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

If you only have $4500 to spend, your not going to be eating MH meals. Those are fine for short trips but on a thru the cost of those things will bankrupt you before you know it. Having a buddy to share food costs with helps. You can buy a bigger package of some things and split it. If a supermarket uses discount cards, be sure to ask if they have a guest card or sign up for one. Ingles and Food City are two which are good to have.

Quote Originally Posted by gbolt View Post
    It is out for Pre Sale and ships when published. I have already Pre Ordered my copy.
    Not really concerned with "shipping" an electronic copy. I'm already taking my phone, and this won't add any weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    They don't have Esbit, but do have something similar. Barbeque brick fire starter is basically the same thing...
    Maybe you have different fire starters than we have, but the ones I tried out here did not work at all. Very lightweight (so not much total energy in a single brick), fast burning (so not lasting long enough per brick) and extremely sooty. To clean the pot afterwards was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    In between, eat what everyone else eats. Lipton Sides with tuna.
    Quote Originally Posted by DownEaster View Post
    at a gas station you can pick either mac & cheese or Ramen noodles.
    I did the first 318 miles this year and never had a tuna, mac & cheese, or Ramen, can't stand any of them. I sent one parcel to Fontana Dam as everyone said it was a poor place to resupply and that was it. Did an order from Zero Day Resupply and had it sent there. There are ample resupply options without eating the above. I must admit that I tried a lot of different things, not coming from there, and loved the sachets of chicken and bacon precooked.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    Yeah, at this point, thinking about Mountain House most days (but only 1 per day). I really love the Mountain House meals for the ability to just pour in water and not have pan cleanup. I'm open to considering other options based on experience. I've budgeted $4,500 for the entire trip; hoping that is enough. I saw the Coghlin's fuel tablets at WalMart (online) but couldn't find them in the store. Could be just because it's out of season right now though. An alcohol stove sounds like a good suggestion as a backup; just really cautious about adding weight. However, I don't want to be without fuel either. My friend and I will be making a trip to the local Dollar Store to scope out some options and will check out your Lipton Sides suggestion.

My friend and I did a short hike on the Foothills Trail; we had planned on 10 days (and was carrying the full ten days of food - no fun). Only made it four days when we learned that Hurricane Nate was making an appearance in the area. But that is why we were concerned about not carrying too much food - learned our lesson. At the same time, we were only going 5-8 miles per day to start. I know that will increase over time, but we want to give ourselves time to build up to that.
    I have used alchy stoves, wood burning stoves and canister stoves. For the AT, I'd go either with an alchy or a canister. The advantage of the alcohol stove is that you can get fuel pretty much everywhere. Nearly every gas station has Heet in a yellow bottle for $3, which is basically de-natured acohol. Alchy stoves are light, simple and reliable. The fuel starts out a shade on the heavy side when you leave town, but it lightens up pretty quickly when you burn an ounce or so per day. As a pre-Christmas arts and crafts project, you might want to take an hour and build your own stove -- the SuperCat stove is probably the easiest one to build, as well as being the simplest and most fool proof to use. Instructions are here:

http://jwbasecamp.com/Articles/Super...Super_Cat7.htm

As far as Mountainhouse goes, I actually kinda like some of their meals and don't mind adding them to my re-supply bag when they are available. However, most often, I prefer to take an ad-hoc approach to re-supply, meaning that I like to hit the grocery store whenever I happen to arrive in town. Most small towns have a decent grocery store, but finding Mountain House is relatively rare (you need a town with a WalMart or an outfitter). Generally, I end up grabbing basic food and constructing meals rather than using the boil-in-bag ready to eat meals. That being said, if you like the ready to eat meals and you have the money, then more power to you.

Mountain House meals in #10
    cans repacked in Ziplock bags.
    Wayne

I appreciate all the suggestions, and they've given me lots of ideas. My deal with Mountain House meals is mostly because I used to buy the noodles packets in the store until I had one cook a little too long and stick in the pan. I spent the next hour trying to get the pan clean with limited success. With MH meals, of course, there's no pan cleanup at all; the biggest advantage being the time savings and convenience. Suggestions on the pan-cleaning dilemma would be appreciated. The other ideas here have been helpful and interesting though. I think I will consider Ramen noodles now and then, even though I dislike the idea. I've been scoping out the local dollar store and experimenting with potato flakes plus some added ingredients. The friend I will be hiking with just confessed to me that I'm getting that for Christmas. Sneaky friend. The idea of an alcohol stove is intriguing; although I've previously not considered an extra stove and fuel because of weight. Likewise, alcohol as a fuel is heavier than esbit; but I will have to consider its availability over esbit. I did download the Walmart app and will experiment with the Coghlin's fuel tablets when they arrive. If $4500 is cutting it too close, please comment (what is a realistic budget in your experience?). The electronic copy idea is a great idea; I was concerned about the weight of the entire guide (since I'm trying to avoid mail drops -- but then a few envelope-type mail drops would be realistic. An idea that just occurred to me is to limit the mail-drop idea to just those pages of the guide that are needed + esbit fuel. That would keep the packages small and postage affordable -- and then make due with buying virtually all of my food in trail towns/outfitters. Sorry about the one paragraph stream of consciousness reply; any further insights from your experiences will help. Thanks!

FBC - Freezer bag cooking - is a similar concept with MH meals, but with non-freeze dried ingredients. To do this you need something called a "cozy". This is an insulated sleeve which the freezer bag is placed in. Usually made from aluminum covered bubble wrap. Heat what ever your cooking up to a boil, then transfer into the freezer bag and let stand for 5-10 minutes. This works well for the Lipton sides. If it's real cold out, boil for a few minutes longer before putting into the bag. Some meals you can just add the boiling water.

The only down side is you will go through a lot of freezer bags. Even with washing it out, your not going to want to reuse a bag more then a couple of times before it gets funky.

To keep stuff from burning onto the bottom of the pot takes attention. Look away for a minute and you have boil over. Frequent stirring towards the end helps. The type of pasta makes a big difference. I have the most trouble with flat, ribbon noodles. Shells are better. Rice can be tricky too.

If you really burn something on to the bottom of the pot, a handful of fine gravel and a little water does a good job of cleaning it out.
    Last edited by Slo-go'en; 12-12-2017 at 20:56.

There aren't many Walmarts along the trail.

Mountain house meals are expensive and not a real healthy option.

Honestly, I kind of turn my nose up at them nowadays lol.. they taste like pure salt to me.

I suggest spending time on the internet researching diy backpacking meals. Theyre are some really good recipes out there that are extremely easy to make. The ingredients are typically easier to find than MH meals too.

Hell, if I didnt own a dehydrator I'd be tempted to order a harmony house veggie kit every month on trail to spice up my meals.

Also, freezer bag cooking is overrated. MH bag cooking is over rated. Meals cooked in your pot just simply taste better. Hate all you want but it is much more satisfactory imo. And clean up is a breeze once you know how to cook in your pot. No wet, slimy, gross, smelly bags to pack out either.

I honestly think the one part about backpacking you can always improve upon is food and cooking methods. I'm always learning new stuff. It's food, it's essential to life. I only have one life. I don't want to spend my vacation eating ramen noodles and mh meals for six months straight. Those bowel movements would be straight up painful.

Learn from others. you'd be surprised at how gourmet you can get on trail with only one pot. Add in a mug and the possibilities are endless.

First time I ever saw someone dry bake a fresh hot blueberry muffin on trail my mind was blown. It was one of the most impressive things I have ever seen in my life. She shared it with me and it still is to this day, one of the best things I've ever eaten.

Ps..The Mountain House fettuccini Alfredo is probably the most platable to me now. The Louisiana red beans and rice is absolute garbage. The freeze dried ice cream is cool every so often too.

Also, for future weekend trips. I suggest heading over to makeyourgear.com and picking up some dehydrated/freeze dried goods and some boil in bags. Assemble meal yourself. You will instantly be forever enlightened and will pass by every MH in your local Walmart from that day forward.

Fastfox

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I should add. Don't be scared about bringing real food.

Fresh garlic, a small onion, a jalapeno pepper. They're not heavy and simply make meals and life better on trail.

Everything you bring on trail doesn't have to be processed and vacuumed pack contrary to popular belief.

I know a few that go out for days at a time eating fresh fruits, vegetables, and nuts. And after eating the same processed, unhealthy snacks for the tenth time in three days.. you'll be willing to trade it all for a fresh Clementine or two.

Also, when leaving a town after a resupply there's no reason you can't pack in a "heavy" sub for dinner and some fresh pastries for the next morning... Real food isn't a burden to carry if you plan on eating it first.

I witnessed people packing in Chinese food take out for dinner after going into town to resupply.

Just accept it my young grasshopper, mh meals are lame!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I personally do not like freezer bag cooking or the Mountain House style meals so I prepare one-pot cooked meals from simple things I can buy at any trail town and sometimes I send myself resupply packages with better foods I can purchase at Trader Joe's. A typical one-pot meal might be cheese tortellini. In addition to Trader Joe's brand, a number of brands typically offered at grocery stores or Wal-Mart can be purchased. Calorie dense. I use a Jetboil and the home made pot cozy. Typically, I will boil water and olive oil, put in whatever I'm cooking (like the tortellini) bring it back to a boil and immediately take it off the stove and put it in the cozy for ten minutes. Then I re-head the mixture just to a boil and put it back in the cozy for another ten minutes. By this point, the food is almost always fully cooked and ready to eat. The nature of this type of meal is that there is little residue to clean and the olive oil makes it pretty slick and nothing sticks to the pot because I don't really have the food on an open flame for very long at all. I eat everything in the pot. Then I usually add a little water, heat it up if necessary, use my fingers to clean the pot, and either discard the water well away from camp in a wide arc (just an ounce or two) or drink it (sounds gross, but why? It's just water with food residue). When I heat up my water the next morning and it boils, it sanitizes the pot. I've been doing this for years and it works for me. But some like freezer bag cooking better. I think it doesn't taste as good and then you have a bunch of used bags to pack out.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++