WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Mountain House sold at Walmarts is a 2 ounce package, said to be enough for one. It is not enough for a dinner. The Pro-pack is 4.06 ounces. That is enough for one. The size usually sold in a hiker store is 4.6 ounces.

MaryJanesFarm (http://shop.maryjanesfarm.org) is another option for prepackaged meals, and they are organic. Not quite as calorie dense as MH, but much healthier. Available at some REI's. "GoodToGo" is another option, again, imo, better than MH. I'd rather go this route than MH and I do use these as an option at times. Not a full resupply, only thing I eat kinda thing but a good option. Expensive options for a thru hike though.

Meant to add I also take BigSur bars along. The one flavor is like eating pecan pie (i love pecan pie) and calorie dense as well: 600-630 calories/5oz

Stuff stuck on pans: If you have a camp fire going, get some water (doesn't have to be filtered), and just put water in the pan/pot and set it on the fire. A slow boil/simmer, will quickly loosen the stuck-on-food. This works at home also.....think of it as a heated soak. I'd not do it using camping fuels however! Unless you are just carrying a lot of extra fuel.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

One other piece of advice on freeze-dried foods (I've tried both MH and Mary Jane's) ... try them out at home prior to the trip to (a) make sure you like the products and (b) see if your .... ahem ... digestive system processes these foods differently than foods you are used to. I've had some interesting reactions to these foods, not sure if it is the salt or something else about it. FWIW.

I don't know the cost of the MH, but if they are $7.00 each and you are on trail for 180 nights, that would be $1,260. So, for just one of your meals you would be spending over 25% of your budget. Add to this the generally high cost of purchasing the rest of your meals, in towns, and most of your budget is spent on food. So, if you want to go that route, which there isn't anything wrong with it necessarily, you would probably need a bit more money. I have always figured about 1k a month. As mentioned, using FBC you can alleviate the cleaning dishes issue and eat much cheaper. BTW I would not re-use freezer bags if used for cooking food. A much cheaper option is to use the bread and storage bags. They are much lighter as well. Just make sure that they are protected from puncture if stored in your food bag. In spite of their appearance they hold up well when used for FBC. I have been using them for years.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Stuff stuck on pans: If you have a camp fire going, get some water (doesn't have to be filtered), and just put water in the pan/pot and set it on the fire. A slow boil/simmer, will quickly loosen the stuck-on-food. This works at home also.....think of it as a heated soak. I'd not do it using camping fuels however! Unless you are just carrying a lot of extra fuel.
    If there's any fat left in the pan, you can also sprinkle some ashes into the pan to make a crude soap. Ashes and water make lye, which reacts with the fat to make soap.

Once again, great suggestions. Even I've hiked about 500 miles on the AT in 20-90 mile sections, I am learning a lot, so thanks for all your great suggestions. I had to laugh at the "bowel movements" comments (also cringe at it, from personal experience). Loved the Harmony House Kit suggestion and will probably buy one and experiment at home between now and April. The different cooking suggestions (freezer bag, pot cooking, olive oil, avoiding the sticking mess), have my wheels turning, too. I am reading everything posted here. Thanks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++