Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was out in the OR Bivy 3 weeks ago just south of Hidden Pond along the FT. I didn't find any fleas nor ticks, but after dark I had some Mossies whining around my ears while I was laying in the sack. My OR sack has a built-in mesh, so that protected me from bites. The whine is a little obnoxious, so have something to cover your ears -- if it's gonna be anything like it was for me.

Got to wake up and watch the moon & clouds, and got to see a shooting star.

I'd say, though, there was lots of moisture in the air so take something to lay over your bag -- don't cowboy up without dew protection over your bag/sleeping area.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    There's a little cool spell coming up for the beginning of the year. That time might be your best bet for getting a trip in for the holidays. Lows in the 30's will keep any remaining skeeters in check.

I was back out at crooked springs on the 22/23rd. It's almost spring-like out there except for the short days. Still have not found any ticks on me or my gear.
    Sounds great if I can get over this damn pneumonia...antibiotics finally starting to work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    I was out at hidden pond on Sat. for an overnighter. No ticks, still some skeeters (maybe about half as many as two weeks ago). There is more water out on the crooked springs prairie thanks to Irma. It's probably going to take a couple mid-20s nights to get them close to zero.
    Thx for all the great info! Did a short section with my 11 year old from mid day Thursday to mid day Saturday. We started at 88 store to Alexander springs. Great weather, it got down to 25* at Farles prairie Friday night. Hoping to get back out this winter solo and start at Clearwater to Rodman.

Well, that was short. Stayed over at Crooked pond Sat night and a few mosquitos were out and about. Maybe they blew in from St. Pete?

Next trip I’m hoping to try my new hammock WITH the bug net...I got luck last trip.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++