WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Cdt sobo 18

Default Cdt sobo 18

Hey all. Just curious to see if there’s any planning on a CDT SOBO thru this upcoming summer. Let me know. You can get in touch via Instagram @clayhikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m envious. Good luck!
    Look forward to your trip report.
    Wayne

With all due respect the reason many folks come to great sites like Whiteblaze is because we !@#$ing hate instagram.

I am not planning on CDT SOBO this year but look forward to following along with the Instagram crew. Bookmarked you to keep an eye on (if I ever get around to creating an IG account I'll be sure to follow).

Last year I kept up with a dozen or so CDT hikers through IG. The format is great in my opinion for following thru hikers. Most youtube vlogs are 90% filler, and there are very few online forums for CDT journals or threads, including this place. Whiteblaze is awesome for any and all things AT related but not much current talk about CDT. Probably just because the number of CDT hikers is a fraction of the other long trails.

I agree with Absarokanaut that in general IG is a scourge on society, but following the right people and/or hashtags you can see some quality nature/outdoors/adventure content. This may apply more so to CDT because of the type of hiker it attracts.

I learned about the 3mph film crew through IG last year as they were hiking through Montana, even ran into them randomly as they were passing through Lordsburg, NM on the last leg of their hike. They are hoping to have their film ready to go for hiking season, with showings at some of the Trail Days events, REIs, and other venues around the country. It is a professionally filmed documentary following a crew of hikers from Canada to Mexico. (no I am not part of the crew, just really enjoyed meeting them and what they are doing)

https://www.instagram.com/3mphfilm/

Good luck Clay!

I plan a CDT sobo starting in July. Now at mile 1,020 on the FT.

Quote Originally Posted by LuckyMan View Post
    I plan a CDT sobo starting in July. Now at mile 1,020 on the FT.
    Thats going to be shockingly different hikes.

You're stacking. Luv it. Gonna be a big yr for ya on trail.

That's one heck of a shake down hike.

All my best.

Do tell you have Emerson, Lake, and Palmer or The Verve's
    LUCKY MAN for trail music.

Snow conditions this year are looking much more favorable for a nobo hike - below average in NM, CO, southern WY and above average in northern WY and MT/ID. Now looking at going nobo, from Breckenridge to Canada starting in early July or late June, or if schedule permits starting at Crazy Cook late this month.

I did start at Breckenridge 6-19 and am north of the Winds now. Cirque of the Towers was at least as spectacular as the High Sierras but without the crowds. I am already planning on returning to the Winds ...

The Winds are a secret. Don’t tell the Griswolds.
    2018 has proven to be a Flip Flop year with so much of the trail closed on the southern half.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++