WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Ozark Highlands Loadout

Starting OHT thru hike on Tuesday-https://lighterpack.com/r/9oaoce
    Forecast is for 40-55 degree days and 25-30 nights. Anything missing? Weights may be a bit off.

Have fun. I'll be doing some hiking at the lake this week. Its gonna be cold at night.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

have fun. seems a little light on the warm clothes - you're wearing a long sleeve T, and al you have to add is a down jacket? I don't see a stove or pot or anything to carry or treat water, either.

I don't cook and very rarely treat water. I anticipate being plenty warm in a midweight merino baselayer, but I'm still debating whether to take a down jacket or a 100wt fleece.

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    I don't cook and very rarely treat water. I anticipate being plenty warm in a midweight merino baselayer, but I'm still debating whether to take a down jacket or a 100wt fleece.
    May want to make sure you have some immodium in your first aid kit.

Seems a little too stupid light, to me, but I don't have to sleep outside this time of year.

Cold/Wet conditions are more likely than extremely low temperatures below my sleep system so I am dropping the down jacket in favor of a 100 wt fleece and a synthetic insulation vest.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We’ve hiked in 49 states. Arkansas is one of two where we’ve gotten sick from the water.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

We’ve hiked in 49 states. Arkansas is one of two where we’ve gotten sick from the water.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

How long will you be on the trail? The forecast is definitely trending down toward Christmas Eve. However, it’s difficult to pinpoint the trail and locations with accurate weather forecasts.
    I for one would never debate the down jacket and fleece. Both. I’ve learned the hard way.
    Good luck. Be safe. Have fun.
    Wayne

I finished in exactly 7 days. Mileage was under what I've come to expect due to less daylight, but I found that hiking with a headlamp after dark was pretty boring. Good hike but I also found that while I still prefer hiking alone I am not a huge fan of low traffic trails.

Gear wise I took a down jacket and fleece pullover and should have left one at home. Since I do all of my hiking in the east I will just be taking a fleece from now on. I am reconsidering my shelter as I found the solomid xl to be small for someone my size when the tarp was wet, and condensation got my quilt damp several nights. My second neoair popped the last night of my hike and I've resolved to finally move away from inflatables.

I finished in exactly 7 days. Mileage was under what I've come to expect due to less daylight, but I found that hiking with a headlamp after dark was pretty boring. Good hike but I also found that while I still prefer hiking alone I am not a huge fan of low traffic trails.

Gear wise I took a down jacket and fleece pullover and should have left one at home. Since I do all of my hiking in the east I will just be taking a fleece from now on. I am reconsidering my shelter as I found the solomid xl to be small for someone my size when the tarp was wet, and condensation got my quilt damp several nights. My second neoair popped the last night of my hike and I've resolved to finally move away from inflatables.
    Try zipping up rain shell and put quilt footbox inside. Lil warmth and keeps off wet shelter walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I finished in exactly 7 days. Mileage was under what I've come to expect due to less daylight, but I found that hiking with a headlamp after dark was pretty boring. Good hike but I also found that while I still prefer hiking alone I am not a huge fan of low traffic trails...
    7 days? From Fort Smith SP to where? There're 230 miles of mostly well built trail not including the 15 mile or so Buffalo River bushwack(mostly). Did you do an abbreviated OHT hike? What did you expect for daily Dec mileage and Dec traffic? I found a 26 MPD avg to be a challenge during Sept and Oct. Doing about 20/ low 20's on some very rocky narrow single track roller coaster segments was challenging for me.

There's much to miss on a OHT thru night hiking with no moon. Coves, overlooks, waterfalls, rock houses, ledges, caves, beautiful rivers/creeks(Buffalo, Hurricane, and Richland for starters), far reaching deciduous forest views, etc

I did the 180 from Fort Smith to the highway near Tyler bend. I'm doing the ouachita trail next week which I've never hiked previously, my understanding is a bit easier with a couple resupply opportunities unlike the OHT?

The Sylamore section is an official part of the OHT. The bushwack along the Buffalo River, although not an official part of the OHT, isn't as hairy as some make it sound. You'd have to do that bushwack, which actually follows an old road for some of it, to connect the parts though. There's a simple map set for the bushwack which basically holds your hand available. I would have copied it for you or lent it to you if I had seen your thread earlier. The Sylamore section doing the Sylamore Crk as an add on is well worth it. Anymore miles along the Buffalo River is worth it to me as well as it is a(the first) to receive National River designation.

Did you see any other thru hikers? I saw only one in Sept.

OT is easier. You'll largely be alone again though you have very nice shelters. Be careful with water logistics as well as finding the trail in a few sections that, when I did it a couple yrs back, were overgrown spots as well as some places where the thread wasn't as obvious.

When you can bang out a 180 miler in 7 days on rocky OHT narrow single track tread why are you so concerned about resupply opps? But, yes the OT IMO has easier resupply opps IF you mail a box or two especially if on a more moderate pace! Same with the OHT. On the OHT did have to hike into the small hamlet of Ozone for one box mailed to the PO making a great stop for calories at the Burger Barn. Owner hooks up hikers with large portions. Lure of another large greasy plate of fries and a chicken steak burger had me going into the Oark General Store one other time enabled by a serendipitous convenient PO Delivery man where I went on his entire route followed up by another such ride from some very nice folks that lived behind the store back to the TH.

BTW lots of ledges and overhangs and a few bridges on the OHT to wait out a shower.

BTW, both trails all or in part have a very wide window of hikeability with Dec, Jan and possibly even Feb possibly better than the deep summer months of July and Aug.

Pay attention to the OT water (assume you have Tim Ernst book). There are areas where I had to cache water, but then I hike a lot slower than you. On the upside AR has gotten a lot of rain the past week. I felt the trail got easier as you go from the West to the East. Saw a few bald eagles.

Plan to eat at Queen Wilhelmina Lodge. A very pleasant place for a real meal (some evenings a buffet) and also place to take a shower.
    Beware of special hunting days in AR during the holidays (wear orange is good if you have it). Didn't know about it the first time until I started running into hunters, fortunately none shot at me.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    Must have really mad an impression on you, I see you posted it twice.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

I saw one thru hiker when I was dropping off my resupply caches before I started, but only a couple day hikers during my hike. Only reason I'm concerned about resupply is I don't like carrying more weight than I have too and enjoy diversions that let me gorge.

Planning on taking my same 7 pound baseweight setup including a tarp even though there are shelters. Gonna stop and eat/resupply at wilhelmina and story, and put a food cache at the highway 7 trailhead. There has been more rain but I will always carry a liter of water on the OT, on the OHT I never carried any water.

We have similar backpacking/hiking styles. Great flexibility with the tarp and shelters. The OT shelters are not the crowded rat traps that the AT shelters can be. I also rocked a cuben tarp. Don't know Dec AR weather patterns that well but on my thru after heavy rain some fords were sketchy up to chest deep. Made H2O logistics easier though.

All my OHT and OT materials are in storage but from memory:

Wilhemina was closed for renovations so no experience there. Would look forward to a big meal and shower though as Astro said. I supplemented in Mountain Fork(sandwich, some snacks) at a small general store.
    Story I forget if I ate there or went further into Jessieville where there were more restaurant options. I mailed a small box to the Story PO(have special dietary and supplement needs). Don't remember if this is the PO with the small café next door?
    Mt Ida has many food options. Enjoyed stopping in for eats and getting right back out.
    At Foran Gap(forget the HWY #) hitching into Mena had a bunch of possible eats.
    Snacks at Pinnacle Mt SP. BTW, a bus can be taken into Little Rock from near the SP entrance. Ask for bus info at the SP Visitor Center or they mau have bus schedules on a bulletin board outside the entrance. Hit The pinnacle Mt Observation Desk - great sweeping view across and up the Arkansas River. I felt amazed this is the same river I paddled in Salida Colorado on a Colorado Tr thru. I walked into Little Rock via pedestrian/bicycle trails adding on the Arkansas River Trail. It was a worthy add on for me as I never had explored LR. Did some stuff in LR as well(Governor's House, Clinton Museum, etc).

Recommend Tim Ernst's OT guide. It really helped with water logistics and resupply. For me, it also helped adding on some worthy loops.

Looks like some snow and night temps in the low teens this weekend so I'm considering busting out higher volume frameless pack and adding insulated pants and a second sleeping pad.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++