WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    Already posted in the gear forum but main lesson is I need to finally invest in a quality sleeping bag for cold temperatures. I love my Enigma 20 in the 30-40 degree range, annoyed in the 20-30 range, and downright painful below.

Can never get a complete seal even when wrapped and always fall into putting my head inside below 25-30 even with adequate head insulation. Due to being 220 pound side sleeper with a roughly 50 inch chest I'm looking hard at the nemo sonic bags as I don't think I would enjoy squeezing in a WM versalite.

Did you gram weenie on quilt width? I've gotten through a few unanticipated really cold nights by wrapping myself up in a cheap aluminized mylar emergency "blanket" inside a quilt.

As a rotisserie side sleeper too I have the same issues making the so called assumed wt and $ savings and temp ratings so often associated with quilts unrealized as I have to do so many other things to make the system work that drive up the sleep system wt, supposed cost savings(have to add greater $ gear, $ apparel, etc), complexity, and fiddle factor, to get to the same temp rated high end down sleeping bag sleep comfort. And, for me, that occurs with the highest end down quilts with the best pad attachment systems I've seen even in a sufficient shoulder width.

As quilt assumptions are increasingly being tested that don't always pan out according to some quilt marketing and quilt aficionados that swear by them under all conditions for all people it's being realized at some cold temp pt it makes greater sense for some to go to a mummy bag. Certainly nothing wrong with quilt manufacturers but they aren't for everyone under all scenarios. Under 20* I went back to the highest end lightest wt accurately temp rated bags. I'll still save a quilt for above 40* temps and for over layering but I'm no longer snuggling down into a quilt under a tarp or cowboy camping in 20* and below temps. Sound sleep is just too valuable on a LD hike in winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Well you're adding an UQ and now the quilt liner.
    The UQ was always a part of the equation. It is a constant.

It wasn't "added"

The difference is...in a Hammock the UQ is not being compressed.

Even so...I find my UQ over performs when the TQ fails (comfort test) @ 30°.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-04-2018 at 10:40.

I would say that my wide/long quilt is definitely wide enough as I can tuck it without too much trouble even sleeping on my side. Just not worth the trouble/hassle when its super cold so I'm going to try both the Nemo Sonic 0 and WM Versalite in my living room as both are readily available to order quickly and have fantastic return policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    The UQ was always a part of the equation. It is a constant.

It wasn't "added"

The difference is...in a Hammock the UQ is not being compressed.

Even so...I find my UQ over performs when the TQ fails (comfort test) @ 30°.
    Even though the UQ is always a constant for you in context of hanging it is added into the sleep system equation. In other words your TQ isn't a stand alone piece. And, nor would it be either if on the ground especially on the ground. We can say the same for sleeping bags but to a higher degree perhaps more important is how a quilt pairs with it's pad, sleeping clothes, etc.

We sometimes get things out of context because most often comparisons of pieces like sleeping bags verse quilts, shelter verse shelter, shirts verse shirt, jacket verse jacket, socks verse socks , etc are analyzed as stand alone pieces. That's great for in the lab. In the real world that rarely occurs. Don't get me wrong. We can gain valuable insight by making stand alone comparisons but I find it much more insightful in real world applications to compare sleep systems, apparel layering systems, what in totality is on my feet/torso/perhaps even in a larger context of other factors like on my entire person. It's about stepping back, willing to take honest analysis of the bigger picture as well.

Even though the UQ is always a constant for you in context of hanging it is added into the sleep system equation. In other words your TQ isn't a stand alone piece. And, nor would it be either if on the ground especially on the ground. We can say the same for sleeping bags but to a higher degree perhaps more important is how a quilt pairs with it's pad, sleeping clothes, etc.

We sometimes get things out of context because most often comparisons of pieces like sleeping bags verse quilts, shelter verse shelter, shirts verse shirt, jacket verse jacket, socks verse socks , etc are analyzed as stand alone pieces. That's great for in the lab. In the real world that rarely occurs. Don't get me wrong. We can gain valuable insight by making stand alone comparisons but I find it much more insightful in real world applications to compare sleep systems, apparel layering systems, what in totality is on my feet/torso/perhaps even in a larger context of other factors like on my entire person. It's about stepping back, willing to take honest analysis of the bigger picture as well.
    The "quilt liner" was the focus of my point. Regardless it will extend the range of a bag, quilt, or a TQ/UQ system.

Screenshot at 2018-01-02 11:18:05.png
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-04-2018 at 19:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    The "quilt liner" was the focus of my point. Regardless it will extend the range of a bag, quilt, or a TQ/UQ system.

Screenshot at 2018-01-02 11:18:05.png
    Got you. How do you find it getting into a liner than a quilt and getting settled into a hammock while hanging? I found it a bit too complex, entangling . Ironically I have no problem when doing so on the ground. RU a back, side etc sleeper?

Got you. How do you find it getting into a liner than a quilt and getting settled into a hammock while hanging? I found it a bit too complex, entangling . Ironically I have no problem when doing so on the ground. RU a back, side etc sleeper?
    The quilt liner can be frustrating trying to find the footbox in the dark.

I have started to wear the quilt liner footbox over my head upon entering the hammock with the TQ already deployed.

Its easier to transfer the known location of the liner footbox when its on my head.

after the QL has been conquered I add a deflated Thermawrest Trail Sit Pad (12x16) between the quilt liner and the TQ (in the footbox).

Was side sleeper but have adapted to my back since sleeping in a hammock every night.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-04-2018 at 20:20.

Did you have issue keeping all that settled comfortably underneath you throughout the night as a side sleeper which is why you went to sleeping still on your back? It's funny hearing you talk about the liner as I've been there.

No. I wrap the quilt liner underneath me then partially do the same with the top quilt. I am basically very comfortable in the diagonal mummy position until early morning when I throw a knee out to the figure 4 position. I have had the best sleep of my life in the last 60 days. However most of my life I have not been a bed sleeper.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++