WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Does anyone have experience with layering down jackets? Cold front is bringing single digit temps first night or two of my hike in oklohoma. I never had to wear my fleece or down jacket in my 20 degree quilt and was comfortable in baselayers at the temp rating. I would mail one jacket home at the halfway point once the front passes.

I contemplated using a army poncho liner as an overquilt but its heavy and bulky for a thin blanket.

Its going to be cold in the Ozarks this week...glad I won't be out there...brrr....

Since the OHT is largely a wooded trail with less exposure at a lower elev but with rolling terrain with the idea I'd be varying my pace in those temps I'd be using a 4 layer system of a REI/Wintersilks light wt silk LS baselayer, mid layer 250-320 wt LS Icebreaker 1/2 zip, RAB Microlight 825 FP Down vest w/ a nice functional Pertex DWR or a lighter wt less insulating Patagonia Nano Puff vest, and likely a now discontinued Montbell UL 800 FP down Inner Jacket w handpockets(could be a Pat Nano Puff or TNF Thermoball synthetic jacket as well depending on how wet it may get. I'd also have either a 6 oz MB Versalite Rain jacket or an older 6 oz model ZPacks Challenger rain jacket that would double as a wind jacket. If I saw forecasted much snow, wind, or rain I might throw in a Montbell Tachyon or Patagonia Houdini Wind Shell; either of these pieces are acceptable wts and bulk to add the diversity of a more breathable wind jacket. Round it out with accessories for the extremities...merino beanie, Buff, glove/ mitten liners w/ Windstopper or eVent or Dyneema Composite shells, calf length Smartwool trekking socks, Hanz or Sealskinz light insulated calf height socks, and some Toasty Toes. This would offer many(enough) possible apparel layering combos as conditions change without massive winter bulkiness.

It's enough because my approach is that my main insulating piece is not apparel but my sleeping bag or quilt. And, when I stop which may be after dark even in winter, I'm not spending time walking around camp or doing many other things not in the bag or quilt. When I stop I'm typically in the bag or quilt within no more than 15 mins of stopping for the day.

Since I've had frost nip before from hunting treks I would likely throw into the mix a pr of Goosefeet down socks.

Right now I have smartwool 250 baselayer, tka 100 midlayer, my trail co 800 down hoody, and frogg toggs jacket, bottoms wearing leggings and shorts. sleeping in an ee 20 degree with ridgerest solar and z lite with under armor 4.0 leg thermals.

Glove liners and goretex mitts, smartwool balaclava and grid fleece beanie, liner socks and sealskin socks, midweight socks for sleep. Considering getting some sort of vest from goodwill for the first night of low single digit temps.

I went into a Goodwill and did the exact same thing on a winter Sheltowee Trace thru. I also bought a $2 aluminized mylar sheet to throw into the mix from a General Store. You got that covered with the TR Solar. Get some Hot hands or Toasty Toes too. I expect you know this but for possibly someone else's benefit heat water to safely store in a reservoir or bottle for inside you quilt.

You did what I'd like to see more doing when asking similar questions. You gave your bottom half pieces and extremity accessories and sleep set up pieces. They all make a difference.

Get out of the wind. Find someplace that is warmer like at the front base of a south facing large rock that acts as a heat sink or if near one of those OT shelters in one of the corners. If all else fails head over to Hot Springs NP to the Spa Houses.

I also like that you're stacking your thrus. Maybe, it's because I do the same.

Stayed at wilhelmina last night and the ice is too bad to drive down to Talimena, so I will start at wilhelmina and hike the oklohoma sections in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by wperrott92 View Post
    Stayed at wilhelmina last night and the ice is too bad to drive down to Talimena, so I will start at wilhelmina and hike the oklohoma sections in the spring.
    Sounds like a wise plan. All the rain AR got the last week or so should help with some of the dryer parts you will be going through in Western AR. One thing I loved about finishing my OT hike at Pinnacle Mountain was being able to keep walking to the NLR bus station and catching a ride home. But it appears you are from LR, so logistics home should not be an issue for you.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

To restate, if going EABO it's possible to walk right into LR via a couple short paved road walks but mostly pedestrian/bike baths. I walked all the way to the LR GHound along the Arkansas River in full backpacker/ultra runner looking regalia.

I am currently in the process of bailing out which is humiliating, but at least now I know the absolute limit for my current gear setup is mid teens temps.

It has been in the negative temps overnight and single digits during the day. No shame in bailing out. I've camped when it was that cold and it is not on my list of the most fun things to do.

Gaining trail savvy wisdom shouldn't be all that humiliating.

I'll tell you though if you stayed in those empty OT shelters in the corner where you could gain a few degrees warmth, spark a contained small warming fire(as I recall all the OT shelters were in wooded areas with plenty of nearby tinder), supplement warmth in your sleep system as you've been researching, and if need be ditch to inside or town for a warm stay for the coldest spells I think you had a good shot of making it to Talimena SP in OK. Wouldn't be surprised if that psychological bungee cord had less and less stretch the further you hiked away from home in LR. It's good you got out for a few wks in Dec though. That's beyond what most did including myself.

Hold onto that feeling of quitting. How does that make you feel? Now, don't stay there in that feeling. Don't make it your history. Now, get back out their as soon as you can and piss all over that humiliating feeling by finishing what you started re-establishing more empowering feelings. Learn from that quitting what not to do, and more importantly focusing on what you will do better next time to joyfully achieve your goal. Develop the habit of not quitting rather than the vice versa. You may be disappointed but you made the call. Pick yourself up and go forward.

Already posted in the gear forum but main lesson is I need to finally invest in a quality sleeping bag for cold temperatures. I love my Enigma 20 in the 30-40 degree range, annoyed in the 20-30 range, and downright painful below.

Can never get a complete seal even when wrapped and always fall into putting my head inside below 25-30 even with adequate head insulation. Due to being 220 pound side sleeper with a roughly 50 inch chest I'm looking hard at the nemo sonic bags as I don't think I would enjoy squeezing in a WM versalite.

Already posted in the gear forum but main lesson is I need to finally invest in a quality sleeping bag for cold temperatures. I love my Enigma 20 in the 30-40 degree range, annoyed in the 20-30 range, and downright painful below.

Can never get a complete seal even when wrapped and always fall into putting my head inside below 25-30 even with adequate head insulation. Due to being 220 pound side sleeper with a roughly 50 inch chest I'm looking hard at the nemo sonic bags as I don't think I would enjoy squeezing in a WM versalite.
    I have found that just adding a $20 fleece quilt liner extends my 25°-30° quilt significantly.

Down to 13° in a few instances.

This is from the last 60 days of testing in a hammock which is based on comfort not survivability.

Test Data:

Screenshot at 2018-01-02 11:18:05.png

HR = JRB Hudson River TQ
    GL3 = JRB Greylock 3 Partial UQ
    JRB = JRB Quilt Liner
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-04-2018 at 00:02.

I'm sure that would work to some extent but I've found I just dont enjoy quilts much below freezing. I certaintly will be stationed in places with colder climates in the future.

I'm sure that would work to some extent but I've found I just dont enjoy quilts much below freezing. I certaintly will be stationed in places with colder climates in the future.
    I imagine a quilt liner would also work in a bag. It's just a blanket with a long footbox (up to your knees).

quilt-liner-inside-no-sniveller.jpg

Absolutely, and I plan on continuing to use my quilt for most trips. But for temperatures below freezing I'm looking at getting a 0-10 degree bag so that I have two systems to cover all temperatures.

Absolutely, and I plan on continuing to use my quilt for most trips. But for temperatures below freezing I'm looking at getting a 0-10 degree bag so that I have two systems to cover all temperatures.
    Yeah...I just ordered another quilt (5°-10°) for similar reasons.

The 25-30° quilt just wont handle the job on its own. (i.e. I am also annoyed under 30°)

But right now I am in 27* with very chatty winds (feels like 17*) and this quilt liner is doing a fine job providing a comfortable environment even as the tarp beats agane my hammock.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 01-04-2018 at 01:19.

I thought about doing that but in addition to the lack of down in the lighter quilt even with enough hats/good etc. and straps never got comfortably in a quilt when it got cold. Comparing the WM versalite and nemo sonic right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I have found that just adding a $20 fleece quilt liner extends my 25°-30° quilt significantly.

Down to 13° in a few instances.

This is from the last 60 days of testing in a hammock which is based on comfort not survivability.

Test Data:

Screenshot at 2018-01-02 11:18:05.png

HR = JRB Hudson River TQ
    GL3 = JRB Greylock 3 Partial UQ
    JRB = JRB Quilt Liner
    Well you're adding an UQ and now the quilt liner.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++