WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Garmin InReach or similar device

For those who've actually carried this device or something similar, would you do it again? Was it worth it's weight? Did it give you or your family the peace of mind knowing you could communicate?

Yep. It interfaces nicely with the Earthmate app to send emails. I usually just send the wife two...."OK, Starting here" and "OK, Finishing here". She loves it as she knows roughly where I am and that I can SOS if needed. My wife/family was really concerned on my first "I'm vanishing into the mountains, NO CELL service and will be back in 5 days".....that was met with a "Oh REALLY!!!". Until I said I'd get and use this device. Even just testing it, left the family with a collective "ahh.....OK". Well worth it.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Yup. Yup. Yup.

The weather reports can be nice sometimes too.
    “The man who goes alone can start today; but he who travels with another must wait until that other is ready...”~Henry David Thoreau

http://lesstraveledby.net
    YouTube Channel
    Trailspace Reviews

Yes, I have one and have carried it in the Sierra Nevada the last two summers. I really like the two way communication capability. I leave instructions to family to only contact me in emergencies. I like the fact that message sending confirmations exist, unlike the Spot. Recommended.

Love mine for the peace of mind it gives my wife. It especially came in handy on my JMT hike. I was supposed to meet a horse packer on day 15 for a resupply, but was unable to make the daily miles I had planned in the comfort of my home. Thanks to my inReach, I was able to coordinate with my wife at home to let them know I would be a day late..... Saved my hike.
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Have InReach and would recommend to anyone, good to have, esp if folks at home worry.

If your loved ones are left behind and tend to worry, it's invaluable. The suckers are pretty heavy tho lol.

I agree with everything that was said above me. I actually had to use mine to connect with my parents when my water filter froze I needed to get a replacement halfway through a week-long trip.

I bought mine, Inreach, originally for traveling in mainland Africa and on Madagascar for business. My wife loved that she could track me on a map and we could text from anywhere. Then when my PLB needed renewing I just decided to carry it instead on walks. Invaluable in really remote areas, read most of Australia. Used it twice once for me and once for another bushwalker I found injured on a trail. Two way comms with the rescue/medical people are a bonus.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

If you want to be able to communicate, sure. I wanted to give my family peace of mind that even when I couldn't communicate and something happened, I could get help (those positioning devices are not very powerful). That's why I got a PLB. Now my family knows hat I can get help in any situation and to not worry if they don't hear from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    If you want to be able to communicate, sure. I wanted to give my family peace of mind that even when I couldn't communicate and something happened, I could get help (those positioning devices are not very powerful). That's why I got a PLB. Now my family knows hat I can get help in any situation and to not worry if they don't hear from me.
    I've never understood the quote they are not very powerful. Both times I have had text from the control in Denver? within minutes, and then contact from the Australian Rescue within 10 minutes. People who have used a PLB have no idea their signal is being heard until someone turns up. Knowing help is on the way instead of hoping it's coming can be a very powerful tool when dealing an injured person. It also helped the rescue people knowing what they were dealing with. I had a PLB just find the inreach more useful.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    I've never understood the quote they are not very powerful. Both times I have had text from the control in Denver? within minutes, and then contact from the Australian Rescue within 10 minutes. People who have used a PLB have no idea their signal is being heard until someone turns up. Knowing help is on the way instead of hoping it's coming can be a very powerful tool when dealing an injured person. It also helped the rescue people knowing what they were dealing with. I had a PLB just find the inreach more useful.
    I think it has to do with the power of the signal...I don't know the exact specs but the PLBs put out a locating emergency call at something 10x the power that the Spot and InReach do. It's the difference between say a handheld walkie talkie radio and an HF backpack radio. I am a Ham Technician so know what difference power can make with a unit.

Plus one thing about PLBs is that the battery is one use - if you trigger the unit, you have to send it in for battery replacement before it is operational again. Battery life is five years. They are more powerful but single purpose in nature. I wanted a device primarily for making my family and friends comfortable with my trips. I should note that the InReach usually picks up a signal within a few minutes but sometimes more if under forest cover.

if I didn't have anyone back home who cared to monitor my progress I would definitely carry a PLB but the InReach is good for my purposes.

Journal Entries
    Images

I love my Inreach. The only reason I carry it, is because my family and friends like to watch my progress on earthmate.

I've thought about a PLB. Can't really think of anyone else to use it with so that SPOT is just more expensive--if you think of monthly payments (though I think the initial cost is less). This one is the most inexpensive PLB I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-.../dp/B008OPJGBC

The InReach has the advantage of also being a GPS.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    I've thought about a PLB. Can't really think of anyone else to use it with so that SPOT is just more expensive--if you think of monthly payments (though I think the initial cost is less). This one is the most inexpensive PLB I've seen. https://www.amazon.com/McMurdo-Fast-.../dp/B008OPJGBC

The InReach has the advantage of also being a GPS.
    I saw no mention of the McMurdo unit being waterproof. Is it waterproof? Floating?
    I own the ResQLink+ purchased from REI. It rides on my backpack shoulder strap. Ready to send two signals for 24 hours.
    https://www.rei.com/product/843146/a...locator-beacon
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I saw no mention of the McMurdo unit being waterproof. Is it waterproof? Floating?
    I own the ResQLink+ purchased from REI. It rides on my backpack shoulder strap. Ready to send two signals for 24 hours.
    https://www.rei.com/product/843146/a...locator-beacon
    Wayne

From what I read, waterproof but not buoyant. They have other units that float.

I hike the AT now with the Inreach. Previously used a SPOT. SPOT would sometimes NOT send a preset message and neither I nor the recipient knew until I got home. I know configure the Inreach to send the recipient and me on the Inreach preset messages. If I get a message back which I sent home I know the message home made it.

Quote Originally Posted by JJ505 View Post
    From what I read, waterproof but not buoyant. They have other units that float.
    A nice unit and price. Details from McMurdo:
    “The battery enables it to operate continuously for a minimum of 24 hours. Waterproof to a depth of 10m, the FastFind 220 is also supplied with a flotation pouch, for easy retrieval.”
    Does anyone know how long the InReach will broadcast? What is the battery life with minimal on trail use?
    Wayne

my understanding is that the satellite network used by inreach is not as extensive as that used by the plb. Also, I don't believe the inreach transmits the VHF location signal either, does it? (VHF being picked up by aircraft, both overflying airliners and Civil Air Patrol coming to look for you, and then the searchers can use it to home in on your location using DF equipment)

Regarding how long it transmits....My best guess based on my research is that it doesn't work the same way. It sends out a message with gps coordinates. I'm thinking it's not a continuous transmit thing.

My read on them is that both systems offer some strong pros and cons...
    if you want to be found, the PLB is likely better.
    but the iridium device offers support on lots of other levels.

A big drawback in my thinking with the inreach is, that if you have been using the device to chat with home and draw down the battery before you really need it for emergency, it might put you in a bad situation.... on the otherhand, IF its not relying on a constant transmission, maybe you don't need much battery to get a signal out...assuming you have satellite view

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++