WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    In any case... my JMT track in the properties indicates 205 miles... yet if you ask Google Earth to show an elevation profile, that same track is shown as being only 175 miles (a better than 10% discrepancy).
    As if by magic, Google can make miles disappear! ;-)

Yeah, I just checked, and we have 210.4 miles. I personally only deal with trails in the east, and my partners deal with the Western trails. I'll check with them about what mileage we use. But you're almost certainly right about the reason for other maps having differing mile markers between the start and finish.

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Guthooks works great on iPad. Just FYI when you need a new tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL... I'm about the most frugal person you'll ever meet. The $50 (on sale) Amazon Fire tablet is plenty enough for me. I can't bring myself to spend a few hundred bucks on an ipad, when the Fire checks my email and browses the web just fine. Plus if I break it or lose it I just buy another one and barely shed a tear.

Anyway, not sure why the Guthook app is not compatible with my tablet. The Google Play Store won't even let me install it, and it's not available in the Amazon app store. For now I'll just continue to use my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post
    LOL... I'm about the most frugal person you'll ever meet. The $50 (on sale) Amazon Fire tablet is plenty enough for me. I can't bring myself to spend a few hundred bucks on an ipad, when the Fire checks my email and browses the web just fine. Plus if I break it or lose it I just buy another one and barely shed a tear.

Anyway, not sure why the Guthook app is not compatible with my tablet. The Google Play Store won't even let me install it, and it's not available in the Amazon app store. For now I'll just continue to use my phone.
    Well.....it IS a $50 tablet.....

The tablet version just makes it easier for my old eyes to read.

Quote Originally Posted by Analog_Kidd View Post

Ah, it's a Fire Tablet, that's why. For some reason, Amazon felt it was necessary to use a version of Android that doesn't work with the standard Android maps, so if we offered our apps on the Amazon store, you wouldn't be able to use the maps... which kind of defeats the purpose ;-)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I haven't looked at Best Buy's offerings lately, but in the past they have had a Digiland pad for about $40. This is what we've bought for my youngest one fearing she wouldn't be able to take proper care of an expensive table. But it has worked out very well. The 1st one lasted about 2 years before something got flakey enough that we simply bought another one... which had more power then the first.

I even bought a 2nd one just to play games with the kids on a bigger screen than my phone (we've enjoyed 'Ticket to Ride')

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    Ah, it's a Fire Tablet, that's why. For some reason, Amazon felt it was necessary to use a version of Android that doesn't work with the standard Android maps, so if we offered our apps on the Amazon store, you wouldn't be able to use the maps... which kind of defeats the purpose ;-)
    Even more important, the Amazon Fire does not have GPS capabilities. No GPS - what good are maps? You definitely can't use an app like Guthook on this tablet. The tablet only supports WiFI.

From the Amazon web site:

Location Services Location-based services via Wi-Fi
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

So if they get a new version do you pay for it again?

Quote Originally Posted by jlp1976 View Post
    I’ve had a couple of sections that I frequent for a couple of years now and never charged an upgrade fee.

I just want to chime in that the Guthooks app is worth every penny. It is my go-to source for trip planning, and for when I am on the trail.

I used to buy the ATC paperback guides but no more. The app weighs exactly 0.0 ounces since I have my phone with me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by jlp1976 View Post
    No. Every upgrade is free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by guthook View Post
    If anyone is having a particular problem with the apps, as mentioned by some about the Android app, please contact us directly so we can work it out. [email protected]

As for the trail updates, all of those things do happen automatically when we update our databases. I just added a bunch of fairly significant reroutes in the southern end of the AT last week.

And I match my mileage to the ATC's official mileage, so as soon as I get my copy of the Databook, I'll be making those changes as well.

Cheers!
    Guthook
    Thank you for replying! The fact that you are willing to respond on forums enhances your product!!

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    I just want to chime in that the Guthooks app is worth every penny. It is my go-to source for trip planning, and for when I am on the trail.

I used to buy the ATC paperback guides but no more. The app weighs exactly 0.0 ounces since I have my phone with me anyway.
    The download PDF AT Guide is less than $9 and also weighs 0.0 ounces.

I have a couple questions:
    If using a newer iPhone, and assuming all other notifications and pushes are off...and using in airplane mode...approximately how long could I expect to hike AT before a phone recharge?

Also, if I buy the $80+ app today, but hike next year, is the app still available to me along with future updates?

Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post
    If using a newer iPhone, and assuming all other notifications and pushes are off...and using in airplane mode...approximately how long could I expect to hike AT before a phone recharge?

Also, if I buy the $80+ app today, but hike next year, is the app still available to me along with future updates?

Thank you
    With Guthooks, you keep the maps you buy.

Thank you!

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by BowGal View Post

Thank you
    Depends on how much you use the phone for other things. I was able to take 10+ pictures a day and ~30 minutes of video a day, run Guthooks and randomly check for service/texts at night on an iPhone 6+ and never ran out of battery in 5 day stretches. We did carry an Anker but my wife used it since she had a tendency to forget to put her phone back into airplane mode.

Additionally, I ran it in low power mode along with airplane.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Excellent! Thank you.
    I’ve been testing my charger...so far I’ve been able to recharge my iPhone from 50% to 100% six times.
    I may take a few pics, likely no videos, and I’m not on any social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++