WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Mid Size boot recomendations

Need some help--
    My winter montrail boots are finally worn out and beyond repair accordingly to my coobler friend.
    I'm 65 and need extra support around my ankles.
    Will be returning to the trail in April starting back up at PA at PenMar with plans to head north to Maine.
    So I need to be getting some mid size boots real soon so I can get them worn in before heading back.
    Looking for suggestions/recommendations on some solid midsize boots for my upcoming hike?
    What has worked for you? Also, your thoughts on adding inserts and if I should go for a waterproof boot or not?
    Thanks in advance for you help.

Default Mid Size boot recomendations

Lowa Renegade GTX Mid is a good lightweight boot with decent ankle support. It's been my go-to for the past 7 years.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gone Rogue View Post
    Lowa Renegade GTX Mid is a good lightweight boot with decent ankle support. It's been my go-to for the past 7 years.
    Concur with the Renegade. I've been wearing them for about 5 years. Good customer service, I emailed them about some wear after the rocks here in PA and got two 40% coupons in return.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

I've been very satisfied with my Oboz Bridgers. Excellent insoles and support. I highly recommend them.

I wear Altra Lone Peaks and dread the winter time because they are not waterproof/ resistant against snow, however Altra does make a mid sized version that is waterproof. I have been looking at those but dislike cold wet snowy winter hiking enough that I have now bought them.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Happy with my Oboz Sawtooth - although not waterproof.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I wear Altra Lone Peaks and dread the winter time because they are not waterproof/ resistant against snow, however Altra does make a mid sized version that is waterproof. I have been looking at those but dislike cold wet snowy winter hiking enough that I have now bought them.
    I bought them recently. Mine are not waterproof. Comfy, but not waterproof... I hope yours turn out better. I am forced to stick with my Keens for snowy days, even though my feet do not like them.

If just looking for recommendations, my two Mid boot (non trail runner) of choice are:

1. Merrill Moab Ventelator and there is a waterproof version.

2. Asolo GTX Fugative. I know one Gentalmen that was old school and did the entire AT in one pair of Asolo.

I also will trade out stock shoe insoles for Superfeet.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

If you're looking for a new boot, you've got to go somewhere that you can try them on. Everyone's foot is shaped different, and so what might be a perfect boot for someone else might be terrible for you.

I know there have been boots that I've read about and loved the specs and really wanted to get a pair. But when I went to a store to try them on, no size would fit my foot.

I personally love Salomon. I've owned and loved the Quest 4D, and currently use the X Ultra 2 Mid. But then Salomon simply fits my foot... well enough that I can order Salomon boots or running shoes online and feel confidant they will fit.

But I wouldn't think about trying a different brand without being able to try it on first.

As for water-proof or not... I prefer waterproof because most of my camping is in GSMNP where you will cross numerous small creeks if you hike anywhere other than the AT.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you're looking for a new boot, you've got to go somewhere that you can try them on. Everyone's foot is shaped different, and so what might be a perfect boot for someone else might be terrible for you.

I know there have been boots that I've read about and loved the specs and really wanted to get a pair. But when I went to a store to try them on, no size would fit my foot.

I personally love Salomon. I've owned and loved the Quest 4D, and currently use the X Ultra 2 Mid. But then Salomon simply fits my foot... well enough that I can order Salomon boots or running shoes online and feel confidant they will fit.

But I wouldn't think about trying a different brand without being able to try it on first.

As for water-proof or not... I prefer waterproof because most of my camping is in GSMNP where you will cross numerous small creeks if you hike anywhere other than the AT.
    What he said!
    When I bought my boots, I asked the salesman to bring me a variety of boots for my foot shape. I asked him NOT to show or tell me the prices. Fit was all that mattered.
    I'm on my second pair now, with over 700 trail miles, and have not had one blister.
    Fwiw, the Keen Targhee 2 mid is what fit my feet the best. Waterproof, but not for very long. They will eventually seep, and it takes a while to dry them out once they get completely soaked.

Vasque St. Elias GTX

Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    Vasque St. Elias GTX
    I second this and I scored a brand new pair at a local Goodwill for $17.99.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ratamahattayou View Post
    I second this and I scored a brand new pair at a local Goodwill for $17.99
    i'm on my second set of soles. Love 'em.

++ New Posts ++