Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Default Mid Size boot recomendations

    Need some help--
    My winter montrail boots are finally worn out and beyond repair accordingly to my coobler friend.
    I'm 65 and need extra support around my ankles.
    Will be returning to the trail in April starting back up at PA at PenMar with plans to head north to Maine.
    So I need to be getting some mid size boots real soon so I can get them worn in before heading back.
    Looking for suggestions/recommendations on some solid midsize boots for my upcoming hike?
    What has worked for you? Also, your thoughts on adding inserts and if I should go for a waterproof boot or not?
    Thanks in advance for you help.

  2. #2

    Default Mid Size boot recomendations

    Lowa Renegade GTX Mid is a good lightweight boot with decent ankle support. It's been my go-to for the past 7 years.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-20-2013
    Location
    Pittsburgh
    Age
    64
    Posts
    722
    Images
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gone Rogue View Post
    Lowa Renegade GTX Mid is a good lightweight boot with decent ankle support. It's been my go-to for the past 7 years.
    Concur with the Renegade. I've been wearing them for about 5 years. Good customer service, I emailed them about some wear after the rocks here in PA and got two 40% coupons in return.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    13 HF>CramptonsGap
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-OtterCreek/DollySods/WRim-NCT
    17 BearRun

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-03-2015
    Location
    Center Conway, NH
    Age
    65
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I've been very satisfied with my Oboz Bridgers. Excellent insoles and support. I highly recommend them.

  5. #5

    Default

    I wear Altra Lone Peaks and dread the winter time because they are not waterproof/ resistant against snow, however Altra does make a mid sized version that is waterproof. I have been looking at those but dislike cold wet snowy winter hiking enough that I have now bought them.

  6. #6

    Default

    Happy with my Oboz Sawtooth - although not waterproof.
    Back to the Earth I screamed, and no one listened.
    Back to the Earth I lived, and they all followed.
    https://smokebeard.wordpress.com/about/

  7. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-02-2016
    Location
    Townsend, TN
    Age
    57
    Posts
    31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I wear Altra Lone Peaks and dread the winter time because they are not waterproof/ resistant against snow, however Altra does make a mid sized version that is waterproof. I have been looking at those but dislike cold wet snowy winter hiking enough that I have now bought them.
    I bought them recently. Mine are not waterproof. Comfy, but not waterproof... I hope yours turn out better. I am forced to stick with my Keens for snowy days, even though my feet do not like them.

  8. #8
    Registered User gbolt's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-21-2014
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Age
    57
    Posts
    526

    Default

    If just looking for recommendations, my two Mid boot (non trail runner) of choice are:

    1. Merrill Moab Ventelator and there is a waterproof version.

    2. Asolo GTX Fugative. I know one Gentalmen that was old school and did the entire AT in one pair of Asolo.

    I also will trade out stock shoe insoles for Superfeet.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

    I am Third

    We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

    YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

  9. #9
    GSMNP 900 Miler HooKooDooKu's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-25-2007
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Age
    50
    Posts
    3,354
    Journal Entries
    1
    Images
    5

    Default

    If you're looking for a new boot, you've got to go somewhere that you can try them on. Everyone's foot is shaped different, and so what might be a perfect boot for someone else might be terrible for you.

    I know there have been boots that I've read about and loved the specs and really wanted to get a pair. But when I went to a store to try them on, no size would fit my foot.

    I personally love Salomon. I've owned and loved the Quest 4D, and currently use the X Ultra 2 Mid. But then Salomon simply fits my foot... well enough that I can order Salomon boots or running shoes online and feel confidant they will fit.

    But I wouldn't think about trying a different brand without being able to try it on first.


    As for water-proof or not... I prefer waterproof because most of my camping is in GSMNP where you will cross numerous small creeks if you hike anywhere other than the AT.

  10. #10
    Registered User MtDoraDave's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-31-2016
    Location
    Mount Dora, FL
    Age
    46
    Posts
    563

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    If you're looking for a new boot, you've got to go somewhere that you can try them on. Everyone's foot is shaped different, and so what might be a perfect boot for someone else might be terrible for you.

    I know there have been boots that I've read about and loved the specs and really wanted to get a pair. But when I went to a store to try them on, no size would fit my foot.

    I personally love Salomon. I've owned and loved the Quest 4D, and currently use the X Ultra 2 Mid. But then Salomon simply fits my foot... well enough that I can order Salomon boots or running shoes online and feel confidant they will fit.

    But I wouldn't think about trying a different brand without being able to try it on first.


    As for water-proof or not... I prefer waterproof because most of my camping is in GSMNP where you will cross numerous small creeks if you hike anywhere other than the AT.
    What he said!
    When I bought my boots, I asked the salesman to bring me a variety of boots for my foot shape. I asked him NOT to show or tell me the prices. Fit was all that mattered.
    I'm on my second pair now, with over 700 trail miles, and have not had one blister.
    Fwiw, the Keen Targhee 2 mid is what fit my feet the best. Waterproof, but not for very long. They will eventually seep, and it takes a while to dry them out once they get completely soaked.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-12-2011
    Location
    Sylva, NC USA
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Vasque St. Elias GTX

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-30-2015
    Location
    morehead, kentucky
    Posts
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pheral View Post
    Vasque St. Elias GTX
    I second this and I scored a brand new pair at a local Goodwill for $17.99.

    Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-12-2011
    Location
    Sylva, NC USA
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ratamahattayou View Post
    I second this and I scored a brand new pair at a local Goodwill for $17.99
    i'm on my second set of soles. Love 'em.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •