WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sheltowee

Journal Entries

"The first thing to notice is the guide shows only one water source from the northern terminus to Morehead; a well on private property. Also just one small tenting area. That section is about 24 miles. That does not sound like the southern AT that I am familiar with. " FreeGoldRush

I live in Central Kentucky and have section hiked all of the Sheltowee Trace over the course of many years, including doing its recent extensions all the way south to Burnt Mill Bridge in the BSF. I've hiked the Trace primarily via weekend "out -and-back" three day/two night weekend hikes.

I was able to plan and successfully hike and backcountry camp the Kentucky portion of the Trace relying exclusively on three maps (North, Central, and South) sold by the Daniel Boone National Forest. Those maps show all maintained roads, the officially maintained trails (including the Trace), other recreational infrastructure, and also the course of streams that are large enough to flow year round. I've been able to plan hikes successfully within the BSF using a similar map from that entity, one that apparently is no longer sold by the Park Service.

Long after I had completed all of the Trace then in existence (Northern Terminus to Pickett S. P. in Tennessee) out of curiosity I purchased the May, 2014 edition of Scott "Taba' Ward's "Through Hiker's Manual for the Sheltowee Trace" But, even without using guidebook listings I've always been able to find campsites along the Trace. And, as my slow motion sectioning of the Trace unfolded, there was one section where I did not need to camp. Obtaining rides from relatives, I completed the miles north of Morehead by slack packing on three separate days. But, even though I needed neither trail side water nor campsites for those day hikes north of Morehead I kept an eye out for such resources. There are far more potential camping locations in close proximity to that section than the single "site with fire pit" that Taba's guide mentions.

Obtaining easy access to water in the section north of Morehead is potentially more challenging than finding places to camp. In Taba's words, "...no water for 13.6 miles". Those are the miles between Morehead and Holly Creek (Taba guide's mile points 254 and 267.8). I do not remember seeing any water sources along that stretch of trail. So consider hiking all those miles during a single day. Or, cache in advance 2 or 3 gallons of water near where the Trace crosses Forest Road 977E. That road crossing, at mile 262.84 in Taba's guide, is just 1/4 mile from the "good camp with fire pit" that Taba's guide recommends. And, FreeGoldRush, setting up such a water cache ought to be easy. Someone, perhaps a shuttle driver, will presumably drive you past that general area while taking you from Morehead to the Northern Terminus to start your SOBO thru hike.

It is eleven miles from the Northern Terminus to Holly Creek. One approach would be to hike all of those miles during a single day, after getting an early-in-the-day start from the Northern Terminus (Taba's mile 279). Or, to camp along the way you could get water from either a small pond by the trail (mile 275). or from the aforementioned well pump across the Road from Clark Park (mile 270). I've looked at that pond. To get to the pond water I might need to get my boots or bare feet and lower legs soaked in muck. Then, I would purify the holy heck out of the water that I collected there.

Sometimes AT hikers become accustomed to always drinking clear, clean looking water that runs out of piped springs. Backpacking occasionally in arid southwestern environments has taught me to appreciate all potentially potable water, whether or not it happens to be pretty, easy to access, or free flowing.
    Last edited by Siestita; 04-18-2018 at 08:52.

TU Siestita. On two separate SOBO's that's exactly what I did. Both times arriving at the trail with H2O. One time I dry camped after starting late in the afternoon. Another time doing a mid 20's day getting water at Holly Cr. There is a small stream in a field on off the two lane road to the Northern Terminus on the right out of Morehead. There were two or three 1 gal jugs of H20 left for ST hikers at 977E marked with a note. These were late summer and fall thru-hikes.

Quote Originally Posted by FreeGoldRush View Post
    Anyone care to share a southbound thru hike itemerary or comments on this trail? I plan to hike it southbound this summer with my 12 year old son.

The first thing to notice is the guide shows only one water source from the northern terminus to Morehead; a well on private property. Also just one small tenting area. That section is about 24 miles. That does not sound like the southern AT that I am familiar with.

I'm in Alpharetta FreeGoldRush. I have the ST north and south glossy maps I can lend you. All I ask is that you make a donation to the ST. PM me.

The ST is a great fall and late summer fall trail hike. Watch for snakes, especially Copperheads. There are lots of rock shelters, waterfalls/wet pour offs, and streams.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++