WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bear Cans Required on Blood Mountain?

I just noticed Guthook's says that bear cans are required at Blood Mountain. Is this true? I thought only the smokies REQUIRED them and every where else it was recommended but not officially required.

If it is true, are cans required in all of georgia? Im planning on knocking out the whole state in march with the bubble and currently do not have a can.

Journal Entries

Im not sure on actual miles of the section that require the bear can but basically if you want to camp on blood mountain you need a bear can i believe. Think the section in georgia is from one gap to neels gap a total of maybe 7 miles i think. The rest of georgia you do not need bear cans. You can easily skip over that section so you don't have to carry a bear can. I also didn't need a bear can in the smokies 2 years ago when i went through unless that changed.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Im not sure on actual miles of the section that require the bear can but basically if you want to camp on blood mountain you need a bear can i believe. Think the section in georgia is from one gap to neels gap a total of maybe 7 miles i think. The rest of georgia you do not need bear cans. You can easily skip over that section so you don't have to carry a bear can. I also didn't need a bear can in the smokies 2 years ago when i went through unless that changed.
    are you saying you only need the can if you plan to CAMP in that spot, or do you also need one just to hike through it? I'm hoping just the former.

Journal Entries

Just to camp in that section

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Here is the link to the original USFS order that details the exact regulation, to the best of my knowledge this order has simply been renewed and the original terms are still in place. It only affects around 5 miles of the trail.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...rdb5351875.pdf
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

And no, bear cans are not required in the Smokies. The Park has installed bear cables at each shelter and campsite.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Just to camp in that section
    Pretty much anywhere that requires the use of a bear canister only requires its use to store food over night or any other time you're not in direct control of your food.

This is a subject that comes up frequently in discussion groups for places that do require bear canisters... such as back-packing in Yosemite National Park.
    One of the standard "tricks" for getting an extra day of food to fit in your bear canister is to simply carry your 1st days food in your pack.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    And no, bear cans are not required in the Smokies. The Park has installed bear cables at each shelter and campsite.
    Technically, bear canisters are NOT an approved method of food storage in GSMNP.
    I can't see someone getting in trouble for using a bear canister in GSMNP, but park rules REQUIRE the bear cables installed at each campsite be used, or that you do a "bear hang" (10' off the ground, 4' away from trunk) when cable systems are full or otherwise not available.

Curious as to why anyone would want to purposely hike in the “ bubble”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post

meet people and get laid........

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    meet people and get laid........
    Ha....that’s truly HYOH! .

Images

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    They aren't misanthropes?
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Bear canister is required on the Georgia AT only from Jarrad Gap to Neel Gap, only if you are staying overnight. No where else in Georgia that I am aware of. However, use of canisters is still encouraged.

Journal Entries

I would look up the specific requirements for Blood Mountain as i believe it's a requirement for a certain time period. Otherwise you are not required to have a canister. It's probably a good requirement as there bears in the area that will take any thing that's hung from a tree. Not much available for those that feel they need to hang in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    I would look up the specific requirements for Blood Mountain as i believe it's a requirement for a certain time period. Otherwise you are not required to have a canister. It's probably a good requirement as there bears in the area that will take any thing that's hung from a tree. Not much available for those that feel they need to hang in that area.
    They are required March 1st to June 1st each year, from Jarrad Gap to Neels Gap.
    Last edited by gpburdelljr; 12-07-2017 at 00:23.

It’s a short section that most people walk right through.

I actually ended up camping at the shelter in this area due to a nasty blizzard. None of us had bear canisters but the shelter had a bear lockbox anyway.

I did not carry a canister and truly think that it is a waste of space on the AT. I hung a bag religiously though when there were no other alternatives. When passing through Neel Gap I camped just off the trail behind Mountain Crossings. The hostel was full and I did not take advantage of the Blood Mountain Cabins. That night we stashed our food bags in the hostel behind some furniture to avoid an illegal hang. Hanging a bag is all about the bears, practice before you go, and do it for the bears!

Quote Originally Posted by Tengo Hambre View Post
    I did not carry a canister and truly think that it is a waste of space on the AT. I hung a bag religiously though when there were no other alternatives. When passing through Neel Gap I camped just off the trail behind Mountain Crossings. The hostel was full and I did not take advantage of the Blood Mountain Cabins. That night we stashed our food bags in the hostel behind some furniture to avoid an illegal hang. Hanging a bag is all about the bears, practice before you go, and do it for the bears!
    Mountain Crossinfs is outside the area where a bear canister is required if you camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    They aren't misanthropes?
    I don’t dislike people but I go to the woods for lil piece and quiet not to party or socialize....

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    It’s a short section that most people walk right through.
    I actually ended up camping at the shelter in this area due to a nasty blizzard. None of us had bear canisters but the shelter had a bear lockbox anyway.
    I haven't been to Wood Hole Shelter since I camped there a couple of years ago. So it's good to hear they have a bear box now. That said, if you were there in snow you were no doubt outside the required time for mandatory bear canisters of March 1- June 1st.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++