WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Dehydrated venison and mixed vegitables

I plan to try dehydrating ground venison, lean no added beef fat and mixed vegetables. I plan to carry them to pad out my rammin soups and into my instant potatoes (poor mans shepherds pie). i hope this will add a bit of flash and dash and calories without adding much weight. has anyone tried this combo?

Quote Originally Posted by cs2blue View Post
    I plan to try dehydrating ground venison, lean no added beef fat and mixed vegetables. I plan to carry them to pad out my rammin soups and into my instant potatoes (poor mans shepherds pie). i hope this will add a bit of flash and dash and calories without adding much weight. has anyone tried this combo?
    I have not camped with it yet, but yes, i have made several ground meat/veg meals and variations of the same. I rehydrated one to taste test. It was ok, but the venison remains a bit hard. I have a couple of books on backpacking meals and one of the books recommended mixing some bread crumbs in with the seasoned ground meat prior to cooking. Per the author, the breadcrumbs helped the meat reabsorb the water. I think it specified 1/2 cup fine bread crumbs to 1 lb ground meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++