Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Oh, and he admitted himself that he’s 27. If a 27 year old man can’t handle “dickish” remarks on an Internet forum from people he doesn’t even know.......that sort of proves the point.
    I would love to buy you a beer, sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

It's not like old farts talking about how kids these days are bums is a new thing. The WWII generation did that with the boomers in the '60s and '70s, the boomers said the same about my generation (x), and now we say the same about millennials and Gen Y and they will say the same about their kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    No, I mean dickish. Responding coherently and explaining why the OP's plan was unwise (as some people did) is perfectly acceptable. But the self indulgent chest thumping about "back in my day" style self reliance and making sweeping generalizations about the younger generation is kind of pathetic and contributes to the growing reputation of this site as being inhabited by a bunch of crotchety old timers who's opinions are of decreasing relevance. Frankly as a member I find it embarrassing.
    Yep..........................
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    I would love to buy you a beer, sir.

LOL
    I prefer Shiner Bock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    No, I mean dickish. Responding coherently and explaining why the OP's plan was unwise (as some people did) is perfectly acceptable. But the self indulgent chest thumping about "back in my day" style self reliance and making sweeping generalizations about the younger generation is kind of pathetic and contributes to the growing reputation of this site as being inhabited by a bunch of crotchety old timers who's opinions are of decreasing relevance. Frankly as a member I find it embarrassing.
    sometimes it’s situations like this that cause one to look inward instead of outward ie;the internet. I’m sure he’ll be fine, sounds like he had good parents.

PS I don’t care to belong to any club that would have me as a member ~Grouche

It was thirty posts in before the OP provided enough information to have an actual idea about his living arrangements with his family. Multiple people made di...stinctively negative comments about it, just assumptions really, before that information was available.

Multigenerational households are not uncommon, in some parts of the world it is the norm, particularly where real estate is expensive. Sometimes parents buy big houses late in life and appreciate the company of their children. The OP stated that he contributes financially to his own upkeep.

The OP wasn't really asking for comments on his living situation. He came looking for advice on how to assuage his parents concerns about a thruhike, which commonly pop up whether the individual lives at home or not, or is 18, 26, 35, or 42 even.
    "Sleepy alligator in the noonday sun
    Sleepin by the river just like he usually done
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea
    Call all he wanta but he can't call me..."
    Robert Hunter & Ron McKernan

Whiteblaze.net User Agreement.

To belabor on this would not strengthen my position, people feel how they feel, for that I do not apologize, but here’s some links for one area the OP query.

https://whiteblaze.net/forum/search....rchid=12632075

Quote Originally Posted by Alligator View Post

The OP wasn't really asking for comments on his living situation. He came looking for advice on how to assuage his parents concerns about a thruhike, which commonly pop up whether the individual lives at home or not, or is 18, 26, 35, or 42 even.
    Which, in a way, he was given. If he didn't live with his parents as an adult, he wouldn't have to ask permission. That is essentially the answer that many of the self sufficient, responsible adults gave him. You wanna hike? Hike. Move out and become your own boss. Don't whine to the Internet that your parents won't allow you to.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Got my permit to hike the PCT but my parents are not happy with my decision of wanting to quit my job and hike the trail. Anybody have experiences like this? What did you do for insurance while out there? How was it finding work when your hike was over? Am i being silly throwing caution to the wind? I'm not in my career and am hoping to move on to a more stable career type job afterwards.
    Sounds like you are in transition amd a through hike sounds like a perfect time to be transitional. If you’re parents arent happy with your decision, thats their problem. You are responsible for your own happiness, just as they are responsible for their own feelings. Don't let their fear become your fear.

Images

LOL
    I prefer Shiner Bock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gexFV_Q6sL4

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    Which, in a way, he was given. If he didn't live with his parents as an adult, he wouldn't have to ask permission. That is essentially the answer that many of the self sufficient, responsible adults gave him. You wanna hike? Hike. Move out and become your own boss. Don't whine to the Internet that your parents won't allow you to.

He only stated they were "not happy" with his decision of wanting to quit his job and hike the trail. (See quote below.) There was nothing stated about asking permission, just assumed. Several people just heard lives with parents and that was enough to let loose.

This is a site with a primary emphasis of hiking the AT, with other trails also included. Thruhiking is a major topic in these forums and coming here to ask about how to deal with the response of one's social circle is a reasonable question. Many people contemplating a thruhike don't have family, friends, or significant others with any hiking experience and irrational/unfounded concerns are often raised.

Who's to say the people responding were actually self-sufficient and responsible adults--it is the internet. But really, the qualification one might be looking for in a response is whether the responder thruhiked and how did they deal with the issues asked, which was parents not on board. It was not, parents said no you can't do it. I'm not saying past thruhiking is a requirement either, just that it might provide helpful insights.

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    Got my permit to hike the PCT but my parents are not happy with my decision of wanting to quit my job and hike the trail. Anybody have experiences like this? What did you do for insurance while out there? How was it finding work when your hike was over? Am i being silly throwing caution to the wind? I'm not in my career and am hoping to move on to a more stable career type job afterwards.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Maybe the parents rely on him?

It's true that parents can dislike the idea of long distance hiking for many reasons. I'm 44 and haven't lived with my parents in over two decades and they aren't thrilled when I disappear to go hiking. I have a Delorme InReach to keep them happy.

He only stated they were "not happy" with his decision of wanting to quit his job and hike the trail. (See quote below.) There was nothing stated about asking permission, just assumed. Several people just heard lives with parents and that was enough to let loose.

This is a site with a primary emphasis of hiking the AT, with other trails also included. Thruhiking is a major topic in these forums and coming here to ask about how to deal with the response of one's social circle is a reasonable question. Many people contemplating a thruhike don't have family, friends, or significant others with any hiking experience and irrational/unfounded concerns are often raised.

Who's to say the people responding were actually self-sufficient and responsible adults--it is the internet. But really, the qualification one might be looking for in a response is whether the responder thruhiked and how did they deal with the issues asked, which was parents not on board. It was not, parents said no you can't do it. I'm not saying past thruhiking is a requirement either, just that it might provide helpful insights.
    I agree with your overall point, but here’s the thing: if he’s not first willing, at 26, to confront the challenge of moving out of his parents’ house or wait for their approval, what do you think his chances are of successfully completing a thru?

I just read through the OP's previous posts on WB and now I'm seriously confused.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I agree with your overall point, but here’s the thing: if he’s not first willing, at 26, to confront the challenge of moving out of his parents’ house or wait for their approval, what do you think his chances are of successfully completing a thru?

Why make assumptions about why he lives at home. Maybe he's went to school locally and finished recently. Maybe he helps take care of a family member. Maybe he's a musician but his parents are cool with the living arrangements. You're judging the guy based on a flawed set of standards.

Anyway, lots of folks thruhike and finish who don't want to be on the classic 9 to 5.
    Call for his whisky
    He can call for his tea

Why make assumptions about why he lives at home. Maybe he's went to school locally and finished recently. Maybe he helps take care of a family member. Maybe he's a musician but his parents are cool with the living arrangements. You're judging the guy based on a flawed set of standards.

Anyway, lots of folks thruhike and finish who don't want to be on the classic 9 to 5.
    You mistake my assumption.

It’s not because he lives at home. I understand plenty of people live at home, especially in larger cities. The assumption comes from asking a forum what to do because a grown adult doesn’t know how to explain to their parents the desire to go on a hiking trip on their own. If they don’t have the wherewithal to either have their parents’ trust or to simply move out, then what are the chances they will be able to successfully pull off a thru hike where decisions can literally be life or death and there’s no safety net.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Sounds like you are in transition amd a through hike sounds like a perfect time to be transitional. If you’re parents arent happy with your decision, thats their problem. You are responsible for your own happiness, just as they are responsible for their own feelings. Don't let their fear become your fear.
    His parents problem is they are supporting him to some degree or he would be living on his own. His parents are responsible for their own happiness so maybe they should say "Go hike the trail and let us know where we should send the stuff you left behind. Good luck and goodbye."
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

*snip* thru hike where decisions can literally be life or death and there’s no safety net.
    thanks for the laugh

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++