Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by capehiker View Post
    At 26, I was getting ready to re-enlist for my third time. Man, times have changed.
    Thank you!
    I was about to say that the country could benefit from universal military training. Then apply those skills to a long distance hike.
    It might free up a lot of space in homes across America.
    Where were we?
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by backtrack213 View Post
    I pay rent at my house, my phone bill, my car insurance, I buy all my own groceries i planned on moving out this coming new year but this being a possibility for me is making me want to wait to do so after a thru attempt. I have money saved and plan on paying off my little credit card debt and have about $5,000 for a thru hike and whatever comes my way after. Finding work afterwards is my biggest concern as I cant just come back to my job.
    Sounds like you are being a responsible person and with all due respect, why are you living with your parents if you are basically paying rent, covering your bills etc.? Is this hike your way of cutting the cord and becoming an independent person?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

You don't need your parents permission. You're twenty six years old. Enjoy your hike.

There will be other jobs. Motivated people with talent will always find work.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    How in seven hells is your daughter making 75k and living with you?! If she was mine I'd tell her to pound sand! I bought my first house before I could buy a drink and am teaching my kids to be as self sufficient. I'm not having my kids loaf around my house as an adult. I would very much like them to take a year off after high school and do a long trail, if they like, and wife and I will trail boss for them and send care packs and track progress. But when they get done, they go to school and/or get the hell out. Not that I don't love them all, but they need to grow up, and not when they're 35 like seems to be the new trend. Once my youngest is in college or has turned 19 and been removed from the nest wife and I are living on big land in a small cabin. No space for freeloaders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    If my kids wanted to live with me when they are making $75k a year, I'd be happy. (currently, oldest is in freshman year in college, youngest is high school senior). Now, they'd still be responsible for chores, and rent/utilities, but why not stay with us? Save them a lot of money, which would better be saved than spent on rent. Not a bad thing to do until they've saved enough to put down on a house.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I lived with my with parents for three years after finishing college and paid my expenses and a small amount for rent while I saved around 75% of my income. The late 90s tech market was so hot that even people in their 20s could pull down $50+/hr doing software contract work. And I worked as many hours as I could. Three years later I put 20% down on a home. It depends on the family but if everyone is compatible and responsible, no reason not to get a head start on life that way. (But I was too focused on money... I gave up a chance to thru hike the JMT ... It was 15 years before I achieved that goal and got back into backpacking... So i say, go on the thru!)

At 26, I was getting ready to re-enlist for my third time. Man, times have changed.
    I was right there with you. First time at 22, second time at 26 after my second tour of Germany.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    I was right there with you. First time at 22, second time at 26 after my second tour of Germany.
    Thank you for your service.

Here is my 2 cents...Which wont be as harsh as normal because it is near the end of another long hard day at work and my brain hurts...

Work hard play hard. If you can be independent then go hike, otherwise, keep going to work like the rest of us
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 12-08-2017 at 17:09.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    Enlisted at 17, reenlisted at 23, reenlisted at 25... retired at 37...Still haven’t finished hiking a long trail.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Enlisted at 17, reenlisted at 23, reenlisted at 25... retired at 37...Still haven’t finished hiking a long trail.
    It's surprising how many ex service men and women bushwalk. Enlisted 18 retired 38, Infantry of all things. Of course that's with the Australian Infantry so the best in the world. I'll just head off and make some tea and biscuits, and wait for the show.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    It's surprising how many ex service men and women bushwalk. Enlisted 18 retired 38, Infantry of all things. Of course that's with the Australian Infantry so the best in the world. I'll just head off and make some tea and biscuits, and wait for the show.
    My time in the Army is the reason why it took me so long to take up hiking. All those long miserable road marches turned me off of long distance walking. Its much more enjoyable when I’m not wearing a kevlar helmet, a 203 slung over my shoulder, an Alice pack full of MRE’s, ammo and explosives and can take a break when I want to, and sleep where I want to.

Funny how being self-directed shines a different light on what is basically the same activity.

I was nearly 18 when the first gulf war started and some friends enlisted but I went to community college. I've always regretted not serving. Young people who serve in the military are definitely following a higher calling than the trail - thank you to all who served or are serving.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    From what I hear the US Navy has the best infantry. They are usually called US Marines. Pass the biscuits.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    From what I hear the US Navy has the best infantry. They are usually called US Marines. Pass the biscuits.
    Oohrah.

My dad fought in Korea and for a portion of the time was assigned as a liaison scout/sniper to K-Force. He thought that the Aussies were some of the toughest fighting men around. But, all of K-Force was made up of WWII ANZAC combat vets, so....

He was also impressed at the wages of the Australian soldier...

However, after many action ops his opinion that the finest combat soldier for all seasons was a Mormon. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by ScareBear View Post
    Oohrah.

My dad fought in Korea and for a portion of the time was assigned as a liaison scout/sniper to K-Force. He thought that the Aussies were some of the toughest fighting men around. But, all of K-Force was made up of WWII ANZAC combat vets, so....

He was also impressed at the wages of the Australian soldier...

However, after many action ops his opinion that the finest combat soldier for all seasons was a Mormon. Seriously.
    If by finest you mean ruthless with a long reaching arm...okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Yeah I've had this discussion when working with marines. They are certainly the best you have, and as I've told them we'd make them welcome after they have had a couple of months of training to bring them up to our level. BBL Time for some cake.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

A jar-head, a dog-face, a Tommy or whatever the Ozzies get called, we are all brothers.....

And I am looking forward to a long walk in the mountains. Get a chance to see if I can still do the long walks. (10 miles, so far, and I am good. 12 miles [without a break] and I feel it for a few days.])

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    If by finest you mean ruthless with a long reaching arm...okay.
    LOL. No.

He appreciated the fact that the Mormons in his company were never hungover, late, rebellious, out of shape, gamblers, womanizers or cursed. He also appreciated the fact that all of the ones in his company were from Utah and were outdoorsmen who grew up working and living outside. They knew how to deal with the unrelenting cold and harsh terrain, were in great physical condition before enlisting, understood how to be on a team and were almost as good a shot as he was. They were the first to volunteer for the crap details. After being in action repeatedly, his first choice for his squad were always Utah Mormons...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++