Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I tried to join the marines, but I couldn't pass the physical.

my head wouldn’t fit in the jar.

Quote Originally Posted by one-eyed guy View Post
    A jar-head, a dog-face, a Tommy or whatever the Ozzies get called, we are all brothers.....])
    A digger. Unless it's the sergeant calling you and then it's likely something offensive/abusive/very descriptive.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Quote Originally Posted by jjozgrunt View Post
    A digger. Unless it's the sergeant calling you and then it's likely something offensive/abusive/very descriptive.
    As a retired NCO, I understand that all too well....

although, we have gotten very far off the original post by now. Going back to it, I will simply say this: If you are living in your parents house, their house, their rules. If you are of an age to be an adult, be one. That involves much more than just hiking the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    My time in the Army is the reason why it took me so long to take up hiking. All those long miserable road marches turned me off of long distance walking. Its much more enjoyable when I’m not wearing a kevlar helmet, a 203 slung over my shoulder, an Alice pack full of MRE’s, ammo and explosives and can take a break when I want to, and sleep where I want to.

Funny how being self-directed shines a different light on what is basically the same activity.
    And why when I hear “ultralight backpacking” I think they mean something around 40 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    At twenty two my old man gave me a hundred dollar bill, patted me on the back and said "good luck".
    Want to go hike, grow up.
    I was 17. Got $20 and told to always keep money on me in case I got mugged (so I probably shouldn't actually spend that $20) cause I was going off to "the big bad city."
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

19...frying pan and the world was my playground.

If you come home and your parents in their anger kick you out, well you already have a tent and are used to sleeping outside.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    19...frying pan and the world was my playground.
    And they all moved away from you on the Group W bench....

(I know who gets sent there!)

yup, father stabers and litterbugs.

Images

Rumor has it that Alice's Restaurant has a thru hiker special, a 3 lb burger. But they only have bench seating.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

If your parents are still supporting you it sounds like you aren't really in a place to attempt something like this. I would become independent first and then go for it, not vice-versa.

I think the OP bailed on his own thread......

-

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Goat View Post
    How in seven hells is your daughter making 75k and living with you?! If she was mine I'd tell her to pound sand! I bought my first house before I could buy a drink and am teaching my kids to be as self sufficient. I'm not having my kids loaf around my house as an adult. I would very much like them to take a year off after high school and do a long trail, if they like, and wife and I will trail boss for them and send care packs and track progress. But when they get done, they go to school and/or get the hell out. Not that I don't love them all, but they need to grow up, and not when they're 35 like seems to be the new trend. Once my youngest is in college or has turned 19 and been removed from the nest wife and I are living on big land in a small cabin. No space for freeloaders.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
    at one point, I had discussed with my son who would potentially make over a 100 in his early 20's - living at my place and retiring by mid 30's

Makes sense for a 26 year old, still living with parents, to want to do a thru-hike. Gives them another 5-7 months to put off having to make real-life decisions...
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    perhaps he lost an internet connection

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TX Aggie View Post
    Given the number of dickish responses he received, I'm not surprised.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Given the number of dickish responses he received, I'm not surprised.
    if by dickish ya mean not the response he was lookin’ for...okay.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    if by dickish ya mean not the response he was lookin’ for...okay.
    No, I mean dickish. Responding coherently and explaining why the OP's plan was unwise (as some people did) is perfectly acceptable. But the self indulgent chest thumping about "back in my day" style self reliance and making sweeping generalizations about the younger generation is kind of pathetic and contributes to the growing reputation of this site as being inhabited by a bunch of crotchety old timers who's opinions are of decreasing relevance. Frankly as a member I find it embarrassing.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-13-2017 at 11:16.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    No, I mean dickish. Responding coherently and explaining why the OP's plan was unwise (as some people did) is perfectly acceptable. But the self indulgent chest thumping about "back in my day" style self reliance and making sweeping generalizations about the younger generation is kind of pathetic and contributes to the growing reputation of this site as being inhabited by a bunch of crotchety old timers who's opinions are of decreasing relevance. Frankly as a member I find it embarrassing.
    Are you being sarcastic?

Seriously, that’s why so many of these kids are stereotyped as “snowflakes” because their parents/friends/family/culture have been too worried about hurting their feelings to begin with. Many of them never deal with the harsh reality of, well, reality until they’ve known nothing but decades of compliance.

Some may call it rude, others may call it direct. But I can tell you this: you’ll be hard pressed to find a kid who grew up doing chores on a farm/ranch/fishing boat/family store etc, etc where they were forced to hear and learn criticism on a regular basis out there asking a forum what they should do because mommy and daddy don’t agree with their plans. They will either listen to their parents out of respect, or they’ll have enough knowledge and conviction of their own to tell their parents tough, they’re going anyway.

Reality isn’t safe.

Oh, and he admitted himself that he’s 27. If a 27 year old man can’t handle “dickish” remarks on an Internet forum from people he doesn’t even know.......that sort of proves the point.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++