WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I was doing some test setups in my basement, suspended from 2 spikes nailed into beams. One gave way (pulled out) and dropped me onto concrete floor. Very hard surface to fall onto, but at least it was not sharp.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

I was in my hut and had just settled into my hammock for an afternoon nap when I saw the skipper and professor pass by my window talking about making me dig yet another hole -- this time it was part of a trap to capture some cannibals who had just arrived on the island. I was really tired of always being the one to dig holes so I decided to leap from my hammock and out the window before they could come through the door. But my foot got caught in the netting and I ended up doing a cinematic backwards somersault before landing in the sand on my back. Luckily I was such a wiry string bean in those days that I was not hurt.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

Images

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I was in my hut and had just settled into my hammock for an afternoon nap when I saw the skipper and professor pass by my window talking about making me dig yet another hole -- this time it was part of a trap to capture some cannibals who had just arrived on the island. I was really tired of always being the one to dig holes so I decided to leap from my hammock and out the window before they could come through the door. But my foot got caught in the netting and I ended up doing a cinematic backwards somersault before landing in the sand on my back. Luckily I was such a wiry string bean in those days that I was not hurt.
    Map Man for the Win!
    “For of all sad words of tongue or pen,
    the saddest are these, 'It might have been.”

John Greenleaf Whittier

Personally, I've never had a hammock fail and I usually sleep right through the night. However, a friend had a hammock with a spreader bar and every time he rolled over it would dump him on the ground.
    "Never fart in your sleeping bag."

I've only had one fall, right in my backyard. I had set up two sets of turtle dog (tripod) stands side by side, for my son and I to hang from. Heavy wind and rain was forecast, which we wanted to enjoy in our hammocks. While hanging our tarps, I tied the inboard lines to the opposite tripod stands, instead of staking them to the ground. Just before midnight, as the wind kicked up, my son announced he couldn't sleep and headed inside.

"OK, buddy", I said, while I peered under my tarp to make sure he made it in the back door. I closed my eyes and drifted back to sleep. In the middle of the night, I had a strange dream, albeit very brief, that I was falling and woke up to hitting cold, wet grass with a bugnet and soaking wet tarp collapsing on my face. Evidently, when my son left his hammock, there was no weight to secure it and so when the wind blew hard on his tarp (tied to my stands), it pulled them over dropped my like a brick. Somehow, I recognized what had transpired and could only laugh as i fought my way out of the soaking wet tangle of mesh and fabric and cords, gathered up both of our messes in the downpour, and dropped the whole works on the tile sunroom floor until morning.

The bad- I was hanging between two trees above a large flat rock when a 'biner failed , after years of trouble free usage.
    The good- at the time i was using a neo air inflatable pad instead of an under quilt. a pretty soft landing all things considered.the pad did not burst.

The bad- I was hanging between two trees above a large flat rock when a 'biner failed , after years of trouble free usage.
    The good- at the time i was using a neo air inflatable pad instead of an under quilt. a pretty soft landing all things considered.the pad did not burst.

Yup, happened last month. Headed to a buddy's woods cabin and my gear was all spread out. So I grabbed a couple random biners that we're nearby - unrated, non-supporting ones. Got about 30 seconds of hang time and hit the ground hard. Straightened the biner completely.

This thread reminds me of a backpacking trip I did with Sgt Rock in 2010 as we hiked a section of the BMT from Calderwood Lake south to Unicoi Gap---and also included others like 4 time BMT thruhiker Regina Reiter and Rick Harris etc.

Sgt Rock was very proud of his homemade hammock he built from scratch using uber-light materials. Excellent! He spoke highly of the thing. We passed thru Beech Gap and headed south to the top of 5,000 foot Whiggs Meadow and set up in some nasty October weather with wind and cold rain and fog.

Around 10pm as we were all in our separate shelters (I was several hundred yards away on top of the actual bald)---Sgt Rock hit the ground as the bottom fabric of his hammock split lengthwise and dumped him out. Hope he doesn't mind me telling this story. Fun was had by all etc etc.

We had to make a few emergency phone calls to get Dixiecritter to come from Knoxville to deliver a new hammock in Tellico Plains.

TRIP 115 368-XL.jpg
    Sgt Rock sports behind me with his poles (?) in Cold Spring Gap on the BMT.

TRIP 115 355-XL.jpg
    Sitting out a cold rainstorm in Mud Gap.

TRIP 115 391-L.jpg
    Rock on left on the Whigg.

TRIP 115 431-L.jpg
    Rock resting in his upgraded hammock on the Brookshire Creek trail below Sled Runner Gap.

Luckily I haven't fall from Hammock Yet.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++