WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bear Hangs

Default Bear Hangs

One thing I think could be added.
    Near shelters put in some Bear Hangs so you do not have to rip apart the trees and landscape to find a good place for yours.

Lots of shelters have bear cables and boxes.

Last week I was hiking south of Port Clinton and those shelters did not have them. I was thinking it would be nice to have a fund to get them installed at all the shelters. Some locals I talked to did not think there was any bear problem so saw no need. I really could not find any suitable trees so ended up with the food in the shelter as did others.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Alternately...
    IMG_9568.JPG
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Voice it to the ATC and NPS.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    One thing I think could be added.
    Near shelters put in some Bear Hangs so you do not have to rip apart the trees and landscape to find a good place for yours.
    Pretty sure I never ripped apart trees or the landscape to find a good place to hang a bag 30 feet off the ground.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Just sleep with it, I do and I'm still alive.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    Pretty sure I never ripped apart trees or the landscape to find a good place to hang a bag 30 feet off the ground.
    Never had a hang 30 feet either.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    I certainly have, using a thin cord to haul a 14lh food bag over a limb virtually assures that the bark on the top of the limb is going to get cut into from the friction.

Woodpeckers are pretty rough on those trees too.

While I enjoy bear poles and hangs, I understand they are expensive to put up. I will find a tree where those do not exist.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Alternately...
    IMG_9568.JPG
    While I hated the added weight and the limited space of a bear canister while hiking the JMT, I must say that I loved how easy it made it to deal with food storage at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I certainly have, using a thin cord to haul a 14lh food bag over a limb virtually assures that the bark on the top of the limb is going to get cut into from the friction.
    And so . . . this thread.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    While I hated the added weight and the limited space of a bear canister while hiking the JMT, I must say that I loved how easy it made it to deal with food storage at night.
    Over the years I've used a lot of methods, including sleeping with my food, and I have to say that even weighing in at 2Lbs, my Bearvault is by far the easiest and laziest method I've found, the fact that it's one of the most effective methods is just an added bonus.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I have found on the AT (and elsewhere) that typically bear "hot spots" are already equipped with some type of food storage method (box, cables and/or poles). So even though I used to hang my food for many years I have gotten lazy in recent years and just sleep with it if one of these methods is not provided. I have yet (this is always the key word) to be harassed with the food in my tent. Note that I carry stuff that doesn't have strong odors, is packed in Ziploc bags, all of which is placed in a trash bag with the top closed and that's all placed in an OR sil-nylon dry sack.

Are new bear hot spots popping up that don't have food storage provided...sure. Could a random bear just wander in and become a problem...yes. This just hasn't been an issue in many years and a couple thousand miles of hiking so far.

Disclaimer: this is all based on my own empirical evidence, and not a detailed scientific study.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    I bought a bear canister for my 2013 JMT thru, and I have used it on the AT several times. It's heavier, but that's balanced out by it being easier to use and it makes a wonderful chair.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Most AT overnight sites with bear "problems" do get (eventually) some sort of system to keep your food separated from wildlife. OTOH, why isn't this the responsibility of the hiker instead of the trail manager or local club? Shouldn't hikers take responsibility for their own safety and protection of the local wildlife, rather than 'demanding' their 'needs' should be taken care of? Are we reaching the limits of "development" of overnight site infrastructure? That said, all 14 AT overnight sites in my state have bear boxes....

Cosmo

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    Most AT overnight sites with bear "problems" do get (eventually) some sort of system to keep your food separated from wildlife. OTOH, why isn't this the responsibility of the hiker instead of the trail manager or local club?
    For the same reason local clubs designate tenting sites rather than leaving it up to the individual hikers: it's less wear and tear on the landscape. Lots of tree limbs die from bear bag lines repeatedly scraping their bark off, so a permanent food box/hang facility is a better idea than leaving it as the responsibility of the hiker.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    ... why isn't this the responsibility of the hiker instead of the trail manager or local club?...
    Of course it's the hiker's responsibility... and we'd live in a perfect world if everyone would be responsible hikers.

But from the point of view of a land manager, you have to account for the fact that there will always be a certain percentage of people who will not take responsibility, that will ignore rules they don't agree with or are too lazy to follow,or simply won't take the time to learn the rules and be ignorant.

So as a manager, you have to decide what you're going to do:

1. Nothing?
    Perhaps what ever problem you're trying to deal with will only get worst... perhaps leading to a lawsuit.

2. Close the place down?
    Sometimes you're mandate won't allow that, or a closure might simply be ignored.

3. Change the rules? (Like require bear canisters)
    More rules might simply be ignored.

4. Spend money on increase enforcement?
    If we had enough money to enforce the existing rules, there wouldn't be a problem.

4. Spend money on infrastructure that might make compliance more likely? (Bear boxes and Bear cables).
    Make the rules simpler to obey and they are more likely to be followed.

Ban hurricanes too, did you see what Irma did to those poor trees?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++