WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Sleeping bag help Marmot Never Summer 0 degree vs. REI Magma 10 degree

Anybody have any opinions on the Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag vs. the REI Magma 10 degree bag? Looking to get a cold weather backpacking bag and I think I've narrowed it to these two. I think the Marmot would hold up better, but like the REI bag because it's a pound lighter and packs smaller. Any opinions would be appreciated. I would really like to get the Mountain Hardware Phantom Torch, but can't drop over $500 on a bag.

Thanks.

REI Bag is lighter, packs up smaller, is 10 degrees less warm and has the coolest anti-snag zipper slider that I don't think Marmot has incorporated in their bag yet.

Not sure why you think the Marmot bag would hold up better. When's the last time you wore out a sleeping bag? Also, the pertex shell on the REI bag is awesome for water and wind repellency, and I don't think the Marmot shell fabric is as nice.

When you are sleeping in 20 degree and colder weather, you might need an extra peice of clothing inside the REI bag relative to the Marmot bag. In warmer than 20 degree weather, the REI bag will be lighter to carry, easier to pack and plenty warm enough.

REI has not traditionally pushed the limits of technology in their gear, instead they've pushed the limits for adequate and affordable gear using decent, but not cutting edge technology. In the case of the new REI bags, from what I can tell, REI has upped the ante significantly.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Nsherry, thanks for your opinion. It sounds like both are good bags, but with the deal I'm able to get on the Marmot, it's about $150 less than the REI bag, just wondering if that's enough to sway me? I was set on the REI bag previously. The reviews I've read on both bags have been mostly positive...just looking for some other opinions before making the purchase.

Images

In time I would appreciate the one pound less far more than the cheaper price. Bags last a long time.

Warmer is better. At least in winter. All other things being equal, of course.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Warmer is better. At least in winter. All other things being equal, of course.
    Bill, I used to think that too. We carry our fears and a lot of us are afraid of getting cold.

I have a -40 degree down expedition bag in my closet that I used extensively for about 10 years, generally unzipped. I haven't taken it out of its storage sack in 20 years.

My 20 degree down bag is now my winter go-to bag. With an added quilt and a puffy jacket I have used that 20 degree bag in -15 degree F nights without issue. But, most winter nights that I spend don't get down below 20 and very few get down to zero. And my 20 degree bag plus my over-quilt is still lighter than my expedition bag.

I no longer believe warmer is better for my sleeping bag, I believe warm enough, in combination with adequate supplemental insulation, is best.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Since it hasn't been mentioned, I'll go there.

Are you a cold sleeper or not? The ratings of a sleeping bag are a good approximation, but most women and people like me are cold sleepers (that's why the European Norm ratings for women's bags are about 10 degrees lower than men's ratings). For example the Marmot Ouray 0 degree women's sleeping bag is rated for 10 degrees colder temps than the Marmot Never Summer 0 degree bag.

I own/ use the Never Summer 0 degree bag if I expect that temperatures are going to drop below freezing. I have been completely comfortable inside it when it was 15 degrees out, wearing only a pair of fluffy wool socks and my base layer. I don't know if the base layer is necessary for the warmth, but I don't like the feel of the nylon shell against my skin.
    - also, when temps drop below freezing, I bring my water filter and my fuel canister inside the bag with me. Having a couple of cold items inside the bag, the extra protection of the colder rated bag gives me assurance (insurance?) that I will still be comfortable inside it when the weather is cold.

I've read enough people saying that layering inside a sub-rated sleeping bag will get you 10 or more degrees of comfort out of your sleeping bag, but as was mentioned - I pack my fears. I damn near froze one night in a substandard bag in November wearing all my layers (and one of my hiking partner's layers!), and prefer overkill in the sleeping bag department because I don't wish to go through a night like that again. My sleeping bag is my safe retreat from cold weather.

Compare all the numbers, not just the advertised rating. Not all 0 or 10 degree bags are the same. Compare the European Norm, Lower Limit, Comfort ratings as well. For me, this was the difficult part of selecting a sleeping bag because they don't all use the same ratings. Some use one or two of them, some use all of them, some only use their advertised rating.

Good luck.

++ New Posts ++