WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default An introduction to the Long Trail

Hey! I have written an article about the Long Trail which is to be an introduction to its history, particularities and a description of the different sections of it and I was wondering if I could get some feedback about it
    You can find the article there:

https://hikingspree.com/long-trail/

Thanks!

PS: there is no ad on the website.

Awesome article, thanks for taking the time to write it! As an attorney I do a lot of proofing.

- Quotes should be after the period. State”. Vermont to State.” Vermont
    - Darn tough should be Darn Tough
    - the ski lift down the (insert word) for a bite to eat
    - Eden,VT Mile 235 to Eden, VT Mile 235

Enjoyed your article.
    I hiked the Long Trail many years ago and remember well the mud and the intoxicating scent of the pines. It was my first experience in the arboreal woods. I would love to hike up that way again.

Boreal forest, not arboreal, Oops

I'm thinking of an autumn end to end. You definitely increased my interest.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I'm thinking of an autumn end to end. You definitely increased my interest.
    The LT is unique. It's got a little bit of everything and you have to pay attention. The LT moto should be "No Mercy". Fall is the best and we've been having mild ones lately.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Fall is a beautiful time for a long distance hike in Vermont. There are a few popular spots where you will encounter crowds of leaf peepers, but as long as the evenings are cold there will not be too many people out overnight.
    When I hiked in the fall of 2015, I started just as the leaves began to change and saw peak foliage between Mount Mansfield and Camel’s Hump. While I was hiking with bare trees for a few days, eventually I caught up with autumn.

Nice article! A few points of information on resupply: A bus will take you from the Inn at The Long Trail into Rutland so you don't have to hitch. Middlebury is another nice resupply town and there is a bus right from the trail crossing. Bristol is a really nice resupply town. Johnson is nearer than Morrisville, isn't as varied - but an much nearer hitch (and a long, but doable walk).

Images

The bus at the Inn at Long Trail is great. The other folks on the bus were all locals and gave us plenty of helpful info on where to go in Rutland. It's cheap, too.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I enjoyed reading the introductory sections about the history and geography of Vermont. When you started describing the trail, however, I was quite disappointed. Your description of the actual trail is weak. For example, Camel's Hump is not in the section of Smuggler's Notch. Mt. Mansfield is in the Smuggler's Notch Section. I won't go on.

Journal Entries

:banana

"At 4,236 feet, this is the Appalachian Trail’s first 4,000 foot summit after leaving the Smoky Mountains."

My ATC Data Book tells me that just ain't so. Unless of course Vermonters consider all of the AT located south of Maryland to be "the Smoky Mountains"?

I suspect, however, that you could accurately say this: "At 4,236 feet, this [Killington] is the Appalachian Trail's first 4,000 foot summit after leaving Virginia."

Approximately 150 miles after leaving Great Smoky Mountain National Park, the AT reaches the Roan High Knob Shelter at an elevation of 6,286 feet. Later at various points in southwestern Virginia's Grayson Highlands the northbound AT again climbs to elevations well above 4,000 feet rising to 5,080 feet at Buzzard Rock and later 5,440 feet at Rhododendrum Gap, up on Wilburn Ridge. Continuing north, in central Virginia the AT reaches 4,022 on Cold Mountain and then 4,063 on The Priest.
    Last edited by Siestita; 01-31-2018 at 16:38.

Wow, what a great place to get a critique, editing, and notes - for free!

++ New Posts ++