WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: smoke?

Default smoke?

bring ciggs or quit?im a light smoker.not before noon and 5 a day max.i dont bring ciggs and i never miss em.wondering what you do.

god made your lungs to breath in clean air not poisonous smoke. it's a no-brainer.

Did he make an exception for the liver?
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

Images

Default Imo

Quote Originally Posted by MOWGLI16
    Did he make an exception for the liver?
    Yes. He turned the water into wine; it's our job to turn the wine back into water.

Mweinstone:

Leave the Marlboro's at the house.

Default i roll my own

bali shag or drum.

MW---

While it'd obviously be in your best interest to quit or cut back before you leave, in the end, I don't suppose it will affect your trip much.

Many hikers---you'd be surprised how many---are smokers. Most of them cut way back while thru-hiking, so even if you don't quit this spring or summer, you'll probably find yourself smoking less.

But the cigarettes almost certainly won't be a factor in whether or not your trip is a success.

Some of the hikers I know best are smokers, and they seem to do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Tarlin
    MW---

While it'd obviously be in your best interest to quit or cut back before you leave, in the end, I don't suppose it will affect your trip much.

Many hikers---you'd be surprised how many---are smokers. Most of them cut way back while thru-hiking, so even if you don't quit this spring or summer, you'll probably find yourself smoking less.

But the cigarettes almost certainly won't be a factor in whether or not your trip is a success.

Some of the hikers I know best are smokers, and they seem to do just fine.
    I am glad to hear this... Not because I want to justify a habit I am trying to quit, but because I feel like this isn't something you hear often. I have only met a dozen or so thru-hikers face to face and I would say that half of them smoked. I am going to try and quit beforehand, but chances are I will smoke now and then on the trail...

...Or is it Hiker Trash? Almost There's Avatar
    Images

I still smoke off and on...I don't smoke on the trail however, not because I feel it takes away from the nature experience, but more because I feel better at the end of the day without putting the smoke into my lungs. I say leave them and quit for good, you'll be better off in the long run. I so want to quit but it's hard, if I can't before my 4 week hike in June, well, the 4 weeks should do it. The funny thing is I never miss them while I'm out hiking, it's only when back in the real world that I want one. Besides you should pack out any butts you smoked, and that will leave your pack smelling like an ashtray! I have often packed out others butts, so don't smoke on the trail, but hey if you want one with a beer on zero...knock yourself out.
    Walking Dead Bear
    Formerly the Hiker Known as Almost There

Catch-Up
    Images

34 days to go till i begin my hike.....6 days ago when i woke up and saw that i had 1 ciggarette left in my pack, i told myself that im going to smoke it, and that will be the end of it.....i was a light smoker also, 5-7 a day....as much as i miss it at times and feel like pulling my hair out, i also love not being enslaved to it anymore....cant wait to finally hike those uphills with clear lungs!!

Default almost there listen up

definatly if were light smokers we exspirence less urge on the trail. and also your right on about smokin in town. sitin at a bar after a week or longer of no smoke or booze and all rain and walk,we enjoy to smoke and drink more after missing it.and heavy smokers have a diferent exspirence.also ii smoke rollies so their is no trash to pack.any body packin old cigg butts is silly.if you must smoke enjoy rolling your own with no filter.way better.

Seeking the light that unites us all... Tudor's Avatar
    Images

I only smoke cigars, and only in a great while, maybe once a month. I am packing 3 Cubans with me on the trail for my SOBO, 2 for when I get to Harper's Ferry and meet up with a business acquaintance, and one for when I finish up on Springer. Should be cool!
    "Off the beaten path I reign!
    Roamer, Wanderer, Nomad, Vagabond, call me what you will..."
    -Metallica

"You're a mountain, I'd like to climb. Not to conquer, but to share in the view!"
    -Incubus-

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

IMO more people start smoking on the trail than quit. I think it has to do with people beginning to feel a bit invulnerable once they've done a large number of miles, they fele on top of the world, be health of thier lives etc, so whats smoking going to hurt. I could be completely wrong, I 'm just speaking from my observations.
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Images

I had quit for 9 years. I started again on my hike this summer. Seemed like everyone I was hiking with rolled smokes. Must say, now I kick myself in the ass, but I quit once before so maybe I can again.

Spirit in search of experience. wacocelt's Avatar
    Images

Good luck with that Nokia. I quit back in 93' and haven't been in the least tempted to start again. Be well!

Puck
    Everything is exactly as it should be. This too shall pass.

Every year when I leave Springer I carry a few cartons of those cheap Tahoe cigs to sell by the pack ($5) to the hikers trying to quit. I'm sold out by Neel Gap. There's money to be made off the weak.

Default wolverene

your funny. i was gonna sell menthals.and only by the cigg.one dollar.im also bringin a suckling pig to roast and sell at the first selter.so the dieters can eat.loner ,your definatly the funniest one on this site.and i know funny.so dont question my authority.

o.k. stoner, you're da boss.

Images

Default smoke?

american spirit one pouch 2wks never had a prob!ky

Images

Default $$$.$$

There is one good thing to keep in mind if you decide to smoke (or dip/chew) on your hike. Tobacco is cheap in the south, especially if you come from the north or other parts with high "sin" taxes. Several folks I hiked with in '99 actually started or restarted smoking on their hike. Of course, if you are all good and addicted when you get up into NY, NJ, CT, etc., be sure to factor the cost back in.

Or you could just find Jester2000 and bum one that he is carrying.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by khaynie
    Yes. He turned the water into wine; it's our job to turn the wine back into water.

Mweinstone:

Leave the Marlboro's at the house.

Never heard that one before. I still have coffee coming out my nose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++