WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    .... Definitely on my bucket list.
    Coffee and anyone else, if you decide to hike the LT, I may be able to provide rides, maildrops, etc since I live in Rutland. That is, if I'm available.

Quote Originally Posted by handlebar View Post
    Congratulations! The LT was the most physically challenging short trail I've hiked. Reminded me of back-to-back-to-back... hikes out of Stecoah Gap nobo.
    Thanks! I agree for short hikes. On the whole, I still think the AT in the southwestern part of Maine up through the Bigalows is the toughest hiking I've ever done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Sorry I missed you guys. Because of the time taken and the random sequences of my hike, I wasn't part of any bubble and consequently only met other hikers once. The only exception was hiking near Bolton Mountain where I met the older guy who I later saw at Rt. 15 and meeting two women who I had seen earlier at Minerva Hinchey Shelter. Also, I wasn't diligent about always signing the shelter registers - my bad.

These two spreadsheets - one sorted by date, one sorted by location - illustrate the convoluted nature of my hike.Attachment 41085Attachment 41086
    White Beard (older gentleman), Squint and Bug (the two women) are probably the south bounders you met. We hiked with them a little also but we had a faster pace. I bet we just barely missed you

Cool, I will have to look at your journal. I imagine that you hit quite a few of the side trails, with the frequent on and off.
    When I did my End-to-End in 2015 I walked all of the then side trails – as part of a continuous route. This occasionally meant hiking the Long Trail Northbound on a Southbound hike.

I am in the process of typing up my journal, but I have only written up to Mansfield, as of today:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/lt2015goat

Quote Originally Posted by Highland Goat View Post
    Cool, I will have to look at your journal. I imagine that you hit quite a few of the side trails, with the frequent on and off.
    When I did my End-to-End in 2015 I walked all of the then side trails – as part of a continuous route. This occasionally meant hiking the Long Trail Northbound on a Southbound hike.

I am in the process of typing up my journal, but I have only written up to Mansfield, as of today:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/lt2015goat
    I've read most of your journal. Quite a feat to hike so many of the side trails. The LT is challenging enough without the added ups and downs of all those trails. Have you kept track of your total elevation gain and loss?

Just stumbled across this thread— congrats on your third time completing the LT!

I started section hiking in May of this year and made it to Stratton-(the Ver-mud was unreal..) then went back the last weekend of October to get to Rte 11 before Bromley. So I hope to have it all done within 3-5 more years. Beautiful trail for sure- and VERY challenging. Living in MD makes it tough to get up there for just a weekend trip..

Thanks for sharing your trail journal!

The CT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    Have you kept track of your total elevation gain and loss?
    I only really kept track of elevation gain and loss when I was hiking the side trails around Smugglers’ Notch. This amounted to around 9,000 feet of gain/loss in a day. I do know that by the time I finished my hike in Connecticut I had pretty big calves.

Quote Originally Posted by stowe18 View Post
    Just stumbled across this thread— congrats on your third time completing the LT!

I started section hiking in May of this year and made it to Stratton-(the Ver-mud was unreal..) then went back the last weekend of October to get to Rte 11 before Bromley. So I hope to have it all done within 3-5 more years. Beautiful trail for sure- and VERY challenging. Living in MD makes it tough to get up there for just a weekend trip..

Thanks for sharing your trail journal!

The CT

Thanks for your note. I smiled when I saw that you lived in Maryland. My first LT hike occurred over 5 years 1977-81 when I too lived in MD. Long drive but worth it!

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Haha!! —wow... well you’re right, that drive is long and I dread that whole NJ turnpike and NYC area, but once you get north of that, it’s all completely worth it!

Cooker: I haven't been around White Blaze for a while, but was glad to see this thread. I enjoyed following your complete dissection of the LT this year. It was great to renew your acquaintance during my hike. I much appreciated your kindness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++