WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The goal to complete every blaze is tough one for section hiking as relocations change where the official trail and its blazes is actually change yearly. I have hiked the AT through Pearisburg WV via the AT route that was there at the time I was hiking in that area. Prior to my finishing my sectioning, the AT was partially relocated. I did not go go back to do the new relocation. There are frequently long term temporary relocations for bridges out that may go for several years, I dont hear of many section hikers that go back to pick up the route once the bridge is replaced. I think your goal shoudl be modified to be you hiked every blaze and the AT route that existed when you were hiking through the area but HYOH
    I am content with completing the section as it is as the time I go thru that section and once that is walked, I check it off the list. That is the official trail as it is when I complete it, and if they decide to change it down the road, not my problem lol
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    The goal to complete every blaze is tough one for section hiking as relocations change where the official trail and its blazes is actually change yearly. I have hiked the AT through Pearisburg WV via the AT route that was there at the time I was hiking in that area. Prior to my finishing my sectioning, the AT was partially relocated. I did not go go back to do the new relocation. There are frequently long term temporary relocations for bridges out that may go for several years, I dont hear of many section hikers that go back to pick up the route once the bridge is replaced. I think your goal shoudl be modified to be you hiked every blaze and the AT route that existed when you were hiking through the area but HYOH
    I concur, and that's what I detailed in the last bullet of my first post (#20) in this thread. Whatever the official route was when I hiked it, that's what it was. For me this included a re-route on some roads in VT around a bridge that was out. So for us section hikers we'll have a unique total mileage depending on how many years it takes, and what configuration pieces of the trail were in when we hiked them. I have been keeping up with this by getting the companion or AWOL's guide every year or two to keep track of the mileages. Then I have totaled up all my sections. If no more reroutes occur in the 352 miles I have left my total AT mileage will be 2,183.4.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Agree with last 2 comments. After I do the Whites this July, I will certainly feel no obligation to go back if they re-route in 2021 or 2039 or whenever. I do adjust my end point numbers each year so conceivably I could add or subtract from what I actually hiked, but thus far it is 0.1 plus or minus.

They can re-locate the entire trail in PA and I still ain’t going back...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steve_zavocki View Post
    Agree with last 2 comments. After I do the Whites this July, I will certainly feel no obligation to go back if they re-route in 2021 or 2039 or whenever. I do adjust my end point numbers each year so conceivably I could add or subtract from what I actually hiked, but thus far it is 0.1 plus or minus.
    You may be sorely tempted in the whites to stray off the white blazes, the AT section on the Crawford Path skips several summits on the way to Washington. On a nice day they are definitely worth doing but if you stick with the AT then you need to do an out and back for each one. Same thing applies to the Gulfside North of Washington, it skips Jefferson and Adams. Yes you can do an out and back but expect many just stick to the ridgeline.

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post

I hear ya! I’d much rather walk on duff than #3 grit sandpaper.

as a section hiker...ive learned the last thing i worry about are shuttle drivers..i have never ended where i planned..either too far or too short..they are a paid service and a call 1 day is enough for them to schedule..contact a local hostel they will provide a list of them..or they will shuttle u (for a fee)..and uber and lyft sometimes is easier...

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
    ....... (I meet lots of people that say they are section hiking only to find out later in the conversation that they have zero intent to do the whole AT, we’re talking semantics here, but don’t say you are gonna run a marathon when you are actually only going to do a 5k)….......
    So I should I describe myself when meeting you on the trail? I'm out hiking my first section next summer.... it will likely be the southern terminus to ???
    I love the idea of coming back and connecting the next section.... and later the next section....and who knows, it would be cool to be able to say some day taht I did the whole trail, but honestly I doubt if that's realistic.....too far away, young kids at home, full time job, can't spend all of my limited vaction time on the trail, etc......

I don't want to be confused a a "section hiker impersonator"....so how would I describe myself?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by QuietStorm View Post

Sissy. Embrace the suck.

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    So I should I describe myself when meeting you on the trail?I don't want to be confused a a "section hiker impersonator"....so how would I describe myself?
    I just say I’m out for a walk.

If folks want to sweat the semantics and judge my worthiness to hike then their opinion doesn’t concern me so much. I used to worry about such things, but it really is rather silly. I guess I’m turning into a grumpy old fart, but I do love to walk in the woods

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Yea well that's like telling someone in a bookstore to start watching movies instead.
    Just suggesting that there is more than one book.

I concur, and that's what I detailed in the last bullet of my first post (#20) in this thread. Whatever the official route was when I hiked it, that's what it was. For me this included a re-route on some roads in VT around a bridge that was out. So for us section hikers we'll have a unique total mileage depending on how many years it takes, and what configuration pieces of the trail were in when we hiked them. I have been keeping up with this by getting the companion or AWOL's guide every year or two to keep track of the mileages. Then I have totaled up all my sections. If no more reroutes occur in the 352 miles I have left my total AT mileage will be 2,183.4.
    Fully concur. I completed the AT in sections over 29 years so obviously, there were relocations. For example, on my first section hike - 40 miles in Vermont 1977 - the trail didn't go over Stratton Mountain. I compiled my mileage using each year's data book. Total: 2,158 miles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    So I should I describe myself when meeting you on the trail? I'm out hiking my first section next summer.... it will likely be the southern terminus to ???
    I love the idea of coming back and connecting the next section.... and later the next section....and who knows, it would be cool to be able to say some day taht I did the whole trail, but honestly I doubt if that's realistic.....too far away, young kids at home, full time job, can't spend all of my limited vaction time on the trail, etc......

I don't want to be confused a a "section hiker impersonator"....so how would I describe myself?
    You can describe yourself however you want...it's just a personal pet peeve I have. Most people who want to chat are pretty straight forward with what they are doing. I just find that some folks tell you one thing early on only to reveal later in the conversation that what they told you up front is not accurate. Happens a lot with "thru" hikers. I'll roll into a shelter to stay the night and end up hanging out with someone else staying there. The person will say they're thru hiking. Then later on they'll say that they got off trail last year due to an injury or whatever and are finishing it up this year. Technically this person is a section hiker.

Again, semantics...and my own pet peeves...I'm an engineer by profession so I really can't help myself
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Three's no right or wrong way as far as I'm concerned but my personal rule is a continuous uninterrupted set of footprints. That liberates me to take side trails if I want to and avoids the relocation issue - you still have a continuous set of footprints as long as you start off from the trail head you ended at. Not the AT, but next summer I'm continuing on the PCT. I have continuous footprints from the Mexican Border to Tuolumne Meadows. After the summer, my continuous footprints will reach Ashland, and then I'll continue from there in 2019. If the PCTA relocated some section of trail in SoCal or wherever that I've already hiked, who cares, it never will change the fact that I have my continuous foot prints and when I finish the trail I can say that I've covered ground by foot from border to border, that's my goal, and it has nothing to do with what some trail authority might say.

You can describe yourself however you want...it's just a personal pet peeve I have. Most people who want to chat are pretty straight forward with what they are doing. I just find that some folks tell you one thing early on only to reveal later in the conversation that what they told you up front is not accurate. Happens a lot with "thru" hikers. I'll roll into a shelter to stay the night and end up hanging out with someone else staying there. The person will say they're thru hiking. Then later on they'll say that they got off trail last year due to an injury or whatever and are finishing it up this year. Technically this person is a section hiker.

Again, semantics...and my own pet peeves...I'm an engineer by profession so I really can't help myself
    Unless they get lucky and finish it within 12 calendar months.

I identify as a thru hiker though I’m a section hiker with no intention of completing the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    There is more than one trail. Really. I know a lot of people want that 2000 miler patch, but the reality is there are a lot of great trails out there and while you are walking 40 miles through a boring area of the AT you could be doing something much different. If you hike a loop you don't need a shuttle driver and your trip will cost you a lot less. You might also have the whole place to yourself.
    This is actually great advice. Even though I plan to complete the A.T., branching out to other trails has been a lot of fun and taught/reinforced a number of outdoor skills that are often overlooked on the A.T. with navigation and route finding being at the top of that list. Plus hiking a variety of trails
    can keep the hobby fun as opposed to the monotony just of planning repeated A.T. hikes where the logistics and travel costs can increase substantially for hikers as they try to complete sections farther from home.
    Hiking and supporting other trails can also be seen as voting with our feet. The A.T. is arguably overused and there are a lot of underused trails that could benefit from hikers and support. Regular use of other trails is an important way of showing that the efforts to create and preserve trail systems are paying off and providing direct benefit to the public.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 12-14-2017 at 13:18.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Elaikases View Post
    Unless they get lucky and finish it within 12 calendar months.
    Great segue into my first post.

I am planning to section hike the entire AT within one calendar year. I have a very flexible job but not flexible enough for 6 months off. I can take off 2 to 3 weeks a month. I plan to start next summer thru fall and do the northern part as far south as possible. Hopefully get in some hiking in the south over the winter and finish up any gaps next spring. I have scanned these boards a little and I don't see the "section thru hike" (not sure what to call it) mentioned much.

I really enjoy all the great info on White Blaze.

Rick in Georgia

Get your legs broken in prior to your section hike. Take a loaded pack out on 5-10-15 mile day hikes prior to your section hike. That way, your legs will already be somewhat adjusted to the trail.

Have Fun

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++