Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The Colorado trail was my favorite hike to date and the collegiate west was my favorite section of that hike. And the CW keeps getting better as the CTF moves more and more trail off mixed use track and onto single track. In my opinion, of the sections of the CDT I've hiked (only those coinciding with the CT) and the PCT I've hiked (Mexico to Tuolumne) the big challenge of Colorado over CA is the weather being much more volatile with near daily precipitation and storms, at least when I went during August. Pct weather seems far more benign making for easier hiking and less stress over avoiding storms.

Images

Sure, the CDT and CT are excellent trails, but I believe the subject is the PCT, and the OP at age 29 will certainly be able to hike all of them!

Anyway, we will also be starting in earnest out PCT sectioning next year (we have already hiked the JMT portion a couple times). What's nice about sectioning it is the ability to really cherry-pick your times for the sections.

Sun protection: Definitely need to have a good holistic scheme, a combo of protective clothing and a dab of good sunscreen now and then. I get by with an ounce a week by wearing a big hat to minimize UV on the face and generally wear long sleeves, loose fitting, cool and thin. I do wear shorts mostly out west during the day, and find just a dab behind the knees and at the sock line area sufficient. Also pay attention to when you have to protect from UV. Most of the UV occurs in limited hours centered around mid-day. I see folks putting globs of sunscreen on at sunrise even though there is essentially zero UV, then they re-apply at 10 am just about when the UV actually starts up in earnest (maybe more like 9am from mid-May to mid-July).

Water: Obviously a big deal down south, but using that pct-water link really should make it manageable. Once you get to the Sierra and north, I don't think water is much of a problem.

Terrain: easy compared to the AT ! Seriously, at least everywhere I've hiked along the PCT. Nice gradual grades mostly. Of course there are some tougher spots. Since you're sectioning 2-3 weeks at a time, it might behoove you to plan on for any one section in the higher parts to make sure you have a few days to altitude acclimate. So if you have a 10-13K altitude section for your next trip, try to start at 6-8K or so if you can manage it.

Logistics and resupply: Immensely popular trail, I think this has been fairly well worked out, especially with all the app help we have.

Social/people: We, too, LIKE seeing people along the trail, but it can sometimes be a bit too crowded, but since you can cherry pick your times/sections, this can be easily managed. For example, we plan on doing the southern part Campo-north earlier than most, maybe starting mid-late march if the southern snow year isn't too heavy. The thru-hikers cannot start that early generally because they would arrive at the Sierra too early for easier passage. You do cross a couple high places early that would have some snow, but micro-spikes and other proper gear should make it manageable.

Weather: Yeah, generally also "easier" than the AT as in all my years of hiking out west (about 39 years) I've only had a few total multi-day soakers, whereas along the AT I think I got soaked about a dozen times. The cool crisp nights out west make for fantastic sleeping. The only really HOT days we anticipate is the southern areas, but timing when we hike that section should minimize that issue. We are cool-weather hikers generally, so plan most of our sections in the spring, late summer and fall. Mid-summer we'll spend mostly in Colorado, higher and cooler.

I think you'll really REALLY like hiking out here. I did enjoy hiking the AT for its unique characteristics, but overall hiking out west is more enjoyable. Way better scenery, better weather, fewer crowds, easier trails. Good combo!

Here are some pics from along the heart of the Sierra this last September; some of this along the PCT, most off to either side. which brings to mind another subject, depending on how "pure" you are: there are plenty of trails or routes that parallel the PCT through the immensely popular Sierra, like the Sierra high Route and others, if you feel like some variation from the regular PCT along the way.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6W4Zf2

I am very excited to start the PCT completion...If all goes like I have planned I will be starting in 2020 from Campo and with a flexible goal of interstate 10 (210 miles). I have a feeling that I will surpass that and make it possibly further if the hiking is realistically easier then the AT overall. To me, 2020 seems like a long way off but I am also a planner and a researcher...I cant just "wing it" so I know if I start now then in 2 years I will be as knowledgeable as I can be without setting foot on the trail yet - What I mean by that is that I know first hand experience is best, but just like the AT, I will have a first trip
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Gambit, I'm sorta jealous. Not really, but I've been thinking a lot about hiking out West. We've been on road trips, seen the tourist areas of Rushmore, Yellowstone, the Badlands, the Tetons, and a few others. But there's so much more!

We'll finish the AT in 2020, a year after you do, and there's so much fantastic scenery out there to see that I don't know where to start. No ambition here to hike all of the PCT or CDT, just pick and choose among the best parts. At half my age, you've got a lot more years to explore. I wish you all the best.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Social/people: We, too, LIKE seeing people along the trail, but it can sometimes be a bit too crowded, but since you can cherry pick your times/sections, this can be easily managed. For example, we plan on doing the southern part Campo-north earlier than most, maybe starting mid-late march if the southern snow year isn't too heavy. The thru-hikers cannot start that early generally because they would arrive at the Sierra too early for easier passage. You do cross a couple high places early that would have some snow, but micro-spikes and other proper gear should make it manageable.
    Regarding the PCT in March, the PCTA long distance permit is currently booked solid from March 9 to May 25. It's amazing. They open up an additional 15/day in January and I'm sure those will fill up immediately as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Regarding the PCT in March, the PCTA long distance permit is currently booked solid from March 9 to May 25. It's amazing. They open up an additional 15/day in January and I'm sure those will fill up immediately as well.
    Coffee can you explain how this translates to a section hiker in lamen terms? When it comes to permits I have no knowledge outside of the smokies.
    What areas of the PCT require permits?
    How does this impact thru hikers?
    How does it impact section hikers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Coffee can you explain how this translates to a section hiker in lamen terms? When it comes to permits I have no knowledge outside of the smokies. What areas of the PCT require permits?How does this impact thru hikers? How does it impact section hikers?
    The PCTA has a good page that explains much of this: https://www.pcta.org/discover-the-trail/permits/

My knowledge of the permit process is a couple of years old and some things have probably changed. For thru hikers and for 500+ mile section hikers starting at the border, they limit total permits per day to 50 with 35 of these permits released on November 1 and the rest released in January (they will all be gone quickly). Section hikers doing 500+ miles who are starting elsewhere do not have to complete with thru hikers for the 50/day permits but this year the PCTA will start restricting the number of 500+ mile section permits that involve overlap with the John Muir trail. This is covered on the website.

For section hikers planning trips under 500 miles, you have to study the jurisdictions you will pass through and obtain any necessary permits directly from those jurisdictions. PCTA has information on that as well in the link above. My understanding of the southern section is that the Cleveland National Forest controls permits for the first section requiring permits near the border (it is a small section). If I was planning a <500 mile section starting near the border, I would call the Cleveland NF to ask them about permits and to see if they could issue a permit that is good for your entire trip. This is how it works in the Sierra Nevada for <500 mile section permits. You go to the jurisdiction where your trip starts (normally Inyo National Forest if you are overlapping the JMT going NOBO) and they issue a permit good for your entire trip.

This is all definitely more complicated than the AT and I spent a lot of time in 2015 researching the process. PCTA is pretty helpful with the info on the site and I was able to speak to someone there as well. This year, I plan to secure a PCTA 500+ mile section hike permit starting from Tuolumne and ending at Ashland that I don't believe is subject to any quotas. Good luck with your planning.

^^^^ Very Helpful thankyou!

Images

You should have no trouble getting a <500 mile permit for March. I did not two years ago, something like 6 weeks in advance, even with PCT permits completely full (alas, something came up and I cancelled the permit). Pretty sure Coffee's explanation is what I remember with Cleveland NF, and not needing another NF permit later on.

The beauty (I think) of the full PCT permit (if you can snag one in January) though is that you can use it all year, hopping on/off. But this takes one permit away from a thru hiker, so I suppose this is not a good thing to do.

For permits starting at the border, this is helpful:
    https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/cleve...d=FSEPRD488307

The beauty (I think) of the full PCT permit (if you can snag one in January) though is that you can use it all year, hopping on/off. But this takes one permit away from a thru hiker, so I suppose this is not a good thing to do.
    They've done something this year to restrict total time on the section overlapping the JMT to 30 days. I am not sure exactly how this is enforced but I assume that the first ranger in these jurisdictions would do something to date stamp the permit and 30 days after that initial date, the PCTA permit would no longer be valid along the JMT section.

Unfortunately, it seems like the rules and regulations are getting more complicated every year. This particular change is going to make it hard for people to do non traditional thru hikes, like skipping part of the Sierra due to snow and coming back later, etc. I'm glad that I've covered the section up to Tuolumne now so my permit access will be relatively uncomplicated for my Tuolumne to Ashland hike next year. I'd love to eventually thru hike the entire PCT but if I do so, I'll go southbound for sure. First, I'm going to complete it NOBO in 2018 and 2019 sections.

Images

I have the full set of Wilderness Press guide books for the PCT and read them cover to cover twice even though I've never set foot on the PCT. Would love to attempt a thru-hike someday, but realistically that won't happen until after 2030. Anyway, the books are yours for free if you want them.
    It's all good in the woods.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    They've done something this year to restrict total time on the section overlapping the JMT to 30 days. I am not sure exactly how this is enforced but I assume that the first ranger in these jurisdictions would do something to date stamp the permit and 30 days after that initial date, the PCTA permit would no longer be valid along the JMT section.

Unfortunately, it seems like the rules and regulations are getting more complicated every year. This particular change is going to make it hard for people to do non traditional thru hikes, like skipping part of the Sierra due to snow and coming back later, etc. I'm glad that I've covered the section up to Tuolumne now so my permit access will be relatively uncomplicated for my Tuolumne to Ashland hike next year. I'd love to eventually thru hike the entire PCT but if I do so, I'll go southbound for sure. First, I'm going to complete it NOBO in 2018 and 2019 sections.
    Interesting and borderline weird, but I guess because of the massive amounts of JMT hikers these days, something has to be done.

FWIW, in all my (four) trips to the Sierra, hiking through it three times, I've only had my permit checked twice, both times in Yosemite near the uber-crowded areas (Half dome cutoff and just north of Donahue pass). So getting your PCT permit "time stamped" at the south end of the JMT heading NOBO seems unlikely. More likely from the north (in Yosemite) going SOBO, I can see this happening there.

FWIW, in all my (four) trips to the Sierra, hiking through it three times, I've only had my permit checked twice, both times in Yosemite near the uber-crowded areas (Half dome cutoff and just north of Donahue pass). So getting your PCT permit "time stamped" at the south end of the JMT heading NOBO seems unlikely. More likely from the north (in Yosemite) going SOBO, I can see this happening there.
    I've had similar experiences in 2013, 2015, 2016, and this summer. It was kind of weird this year - I was NOBO near the south end of Lyell Canyon just north of Donohue Pass in Yosemite and there was a ranger checking a line of about a dozen Southbound hikers. He just said hello and waved me through as I came through northbound. It all seems very haphazard and random to me. Happy to not have to deal with all that in 2018.

One more thing about sun protection: if you find yourself hiking over lots of snow, like say in the Sierra or up in the Cascades, you need sunblock under your chin, the underside of your nose and even up the nostrils. Reflected radiation can be brutal.

1. The tread on the PCT is much better than the AT. This makes for easier hiking and more conducive to bigger mileage.
    2. You will be able to average much higher mileage than you did on the AT especially from Mexico to Kennedy Meadows and then again from Echo Lake north to Washington border. Can't speak to Washington as that is my 2018 section.
    3. Each year is a bit different but of the four years I have section hiked the PCT (Mexico to Cascade Locks), I have actually only had to hike in precipitation 5 times. Three of which were this year starting at Ashland, OR. The point here is that the weather is superb as long as you are able to handle warm to hot conditions with a LOT of sun.
    4. Re-supply is easy although the resupply points are a bit further apart. This probably allows for a higher MPD average.
    5. Water management isn't too tough just have a current copy of water report. Take appropriate water carrying capacity (I was able to carry 6 quarts when needed).
    6. Won't comment about the High Sierra as that area changes so much based upon snowfall etc. I went through during a drought year and really enjoyed that area. Those I talked to that hiked it the last couple of years had a much different experience.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    1. The tread on the PCT is much better than the AT. This makes for easier hiking and more conducive to bigger mileage.
    2. You will be able to average much higher mileage than you did on the AT especially from Mexico to Kennedy Meadows and then again from Echo Lake north to Washington border. Can't speak to Washington as that is my 2018 section.
    3. Each year is a bit different but of the four years I have section hiked the PCT (Mexico to Cascade Locks), I have actually only had to hike in precipitation 5 times. Three of which were this year starting at Ashland, OR. The point here is that the weather is superb as long as you are able to handle warm to hot conditions with a LOT of sun.
    4. Re-supply is easy although the resupply points are a bit further apart. This probably allows for a higher MPD average.
    5. Water management isn't too tough just have a current copy of water report. Take appropriate water carrying capacity (I was able to carry 6 quarts when needed).
    6. Won't comment about the High Sierra as that area changes so much based upon snowfall etc. I went through during a drought year and really enjoyed that area. Those I talked to that hiked it the last couple of years had a much different experience.
    1-Interested to see what my daily mileage/ MPD average over a 2 week period will be...I average about 16-22 miles a day on the AT, and am not always dead exhausted at the end of the day...Factoring in the heat, new trail psychology(that kinda stuff gets in my head sometimes on big trips), I am shooting for my first trip to be from Campo to MM209-MM260 depending on how it goes. If I can do 22-23 miles a day with 2 zeros that is 300 miles so I am still looking at this, I have a good long time to figure that out.

On my last 2 week hike on the AT my shuttle driver was flexible enough to let me let him know where to pick us up the morning of our last day. Which let us walk 35 miles further then we expected to finish at. This allowed us to get to our end point 2 days early, and just keep walkin.

Got this in the mail today! Its like when my First thru hiker companion came in the mail many years ago. Get to dream and research for a few years and then start living the dream! Just like I have with the AT
    C73B1EC9-1F82-4AD2-8C14-D93F1515148F.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++