Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Section Hiking the PCT

As I am approaching the end of my AT section hike completion...65% done and projected to complete it in 2019 I am starting to dream of whats next. Naturally one would choose another long trail...Florida Trail I thought about as I spent the Holidays in Cape Coral, FL and saw the wide open and flat areas but after watching several YouTube channels on the FT I don't have a big desire in wading thru tea colored waist deep water for any period of time. Prior to last week I was thinking the PCT after it has been suggested to save the CDT for last as logistically it is the hardest to follow. So now I am pretty much set on committing to the PCT in the same mentality as I have completing the AT. I am a person that has to set goals and look forward to completing them instead of just starting something like hiking ta long trail over sections and always saying "it'll get done when it gets done".

First time posting in the PCT forum, never been on the PCT or even hiked out west so I am excited about that but I am sure it is a whole different animal than the AT.
    Things that I think will be different are the following:
    • Sun protection
    • Water
    • Terrain
    • Logistics
    • Resupply will not be as easy
    • Social Aspect - less people
    • Weather - Hot Days Cold Nights?

These are just some thoughts I have ahead (listed above). I looked over the guthooks sample app of the PCT and the first 80 miles look flat as a tabletop. I am sure that the entire trail is not this way but was intrigued by my observation. My other observation was when there is water buddy you better get it.

So its an open forum, any and all suggestions are welcome. My current strategy of completing the trail learning from my AT completions is that I will start at the southern terminus and every trip will be in order north bound. If I change this and and go SOBO, they will still be completed where I left off the year before. My available trip lengths will be a minimum of 2 weeks(16 days), max of 3 weeks(23 days) if work will allow me to take all my vaca at one time for the year.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

https://pctwater.com

PCT Water Report. Updated by sections by hikers passing through those sections.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/trai...r-survey-2017/

https://www.pctmap.net/maps/

https://www.pctmap.net/trail-notes/

I'm up to Tuolumne on the PCT currently and will be continuing north to Ashland next year. I would say that with 2-3 week section hikes, starting from the south is fine but take advantage of your flexibility to schedule non traditional times to be on the trail in Southern CA. For example, don't hike during the mid March to mid May crush of thru hikers but perhaps in the fall. I wouldn't say that the southern 80 miles are flat as a tabletop because you do climb up to Mt Laguna. The nice thing about the PCT in SoCal is the variety of terrain. You basically alternate between desert and mountains repeatedly. I enjoyed the southern 700 miles much more than I thought I would.

Sun protection - a must. I wore long sleeve shirts and pants throughout and a hat with protection for my neck. Water can be difficult in spots but nothing unmanageable for me hiking in April and May in 2015. Logistics in SoCal are very easy (more difficult when you get to the Sierra Nevada). Social Aspects - tons of people if you go during peak thru hiker season and permit might be an issue as well.

http://www.yogisbooks.com/pacific-cr...trail-handbook

https://www.postholer.com/maps/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1

Why do you assume PCT resupplying will be more difficult than on the AT?

Much of what you're asking is seasonally dependent which you give no details.

That's a very good comprehensive run down of PCT resources Tflaris offered. For pre hike prep perhaps Yogi's PCT guide is overall the best.

While they are no longer hip the Wilderness Press guidebooks are still of immense value. Particularly when it comes to water sources and the best times of year to hike each section. There are water sources that are off trail that don't show up on the apps. Don't restrict yourself to a 2 foot wide zone.

What everyone refers to as the "desert" is not desert. You spend very little time in real desert, mostly you are in mountain chapparal country.

If you are around during Herd season, there'll be plenty of people around. Too many if you ask me! As for the social aspect, please note that the campfires you are used to having every night on the AT are illegal on the PCT. There's a few places fires are legal, but not many. You'll understand why when you find yourself hiking through mile after mile of burns.

There are no privies. You need to learn to **** in the woods properly.

LNT is very important on the PCT. You need to be careful in selecting campsites. Only set up on durable surfaces, don't set up nest to a stream, or on grasses. On ly set up on dirt and mineral soil. Pack out your TP. And cigarette butts. And beer cans.

Be prepared for weather extremes. I've seen people show up in the "desert" without rain gear because after all, it never rains in the "desert". It can be a rude awakening. Like that year it snowed at Lake Morena during the kickoff.

Unlike the AT, the PCT has incredible views, so pack extra socks. The views will keep knocking them off!

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Why do you assume PCT resupplying will be more difficult than on the AT?

Much of what you're asking is seasonally dependent which you give no details.

That's a very good comprehensive run down of PCT resources Tflaris offered. For pre hike prep perhaps Yogi's PCT guide is overall the best.
    I have heard resupply is not as easy as on the AT - only source of info on that that I have personally.

I would be able to choose which weeks I want to hike every year. Big crouds like the spring AT bubble don't bother me in the least. I enjoy people watching.

Okay so I’m sitting here in Boone wishing I was backpacking somewhere and your thread pops up.
    I agree 148% with your perception of Florida.
    Then I read the standard internet B.S. about the CDT. Save it for last. It’s too hard.
    Okay, if it’s so hard what’s going to make it any easier if you save it for last? Hey?
    The PCT is already ruined by over crowding. It will be more worser by the time you knock out a couple sections.
    If you save the CDT for last it might be ruined by the time you get there.
    I say go for the CDT NOW! Wyoming would be a good place to start. Before the hordes wreck it. August and September are perfect months in Wyoming. West Yellowstone, Jackson, Riverton and Steamboat Springs offer airports along the trail. Resupply plans abound. Water is abundant or manageable even in the Great Divide Basin. If Wyoming is all you ever see of the CDT, you won’t regret it.
    If it were easy, everyone would already be there.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by gwschenk View Post
    While they are no longer hip the Wilderness Press guidebooks are still of immense value. Particularly when it comes to water sources and the best times of year to hike each section. There are water sources that are off trail that don't show up on the apps. Don't restrict yourself to a 2 foot wide zone.

What everyone refers to as the "desert" is not desert. You spend very little time in real desert, mostly you are in mountain chapparal country.

If you are around during Herd season, there'll be plenty of people around. Too many if you ask me! As for the social aspect, please note that the campfires you are used to having every night on the AT are illegal on the PCT. There's a few places fires are legal, but not many. You'll understand why when you find yourself hiking through mile after mile of burns.

There are no privies. You need to learn to **** in the woods properly.

LNT is very important on the PCT. You need to be careful in selecting campsites. Only set up on durable surfaces, don't set up nest to a stream, or on grasses. On ly set up on dirt and mineral soil. Pack out your TP. And cigarette butts. And beer cans.

Be prepared for weather extremes. I've seen people show up in the "desert" without rain gear because after all, it never rains in the "desert". It can be a rude awakening. Like that year it snowed at Lake Morena during the kickoff.

Unlike the AT, the PCT has incredible views, so pack extra socks. The views will keep knocking them off!
    Strongly agree on all points especially about the WP books. I have multiple used copies so if in need for the borrowing I'll lend you them Gambit. PM me if interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I would be able to choose which weeks I want to hike every year. Big crouds like the spring AT bubble don't bother me in the least. I enjoy people watching.
    You might want to check with the Cleveland National Forest regarding permits for your hike if you're starting near the border during peak season. With a 2-3 week hike, you would likely not qualify for the 500+ mile PCTA permit and those permits starting at the border are very hard to get anyway. The first area requiring permits is under the Cleveland National Forest jurisdiction. If permits in SoCal work like in the Sierra, you just might be able to get the Cleveland National Forest to write a permit good for your entire section which probably would take you into the San Jacinto area where I believe permits are again required.

I have heard resupply is not as easy as on the AT - only source of info on that that I have personally.

If you have a one hitch(one ride) duration of 2-12 miles(the AT) or 2-30 miles(the PCT) it's the same other than for time off the trail Gambit. It's really no harder other than in that regard IMO. PCT resupply is as well anal-yzed and over documented as AT resupply. Remember, just as on the AT, resupply options can be more limited during off season on the PCT particularly through the Sierras and northern WA and maybe a few places in SoCal.

Since you're able to cherry pick hiking times and direction peruse various SOBO and NOBO trail journals as well as those completing the PCT in sections not in the bubbles(off season) to see the pros and cons of the various itineraries. You have the most play in designing your own section completions. Don't ignore flip flopping sections if that's acceptable. TIP: strongly consider not doing SoCal during the midst of summer. TIP: strongly consider not starting a SOBO section hike too early from WA in N. Cascades NP or attempting to finish a section to the northern terminus too late. it can be as difficult as hitting the Sierras too early in a high or even reg snowfall/snowpack level yr or hitting the Sierras too late going SOBO on a section hike. TIP: try to organize your PCT sectional trip lengths to at least 500 miles so you'll qualify for PCT thru-hiker permits.

I totally agree with Mag's(Paul's) POV that the CDT is perhaps best considered approached for many more than currently do to section hike it. It sounds like a sectional approach for the CDT is an ideal fit for you so don't immediately discount the CDT. You are probably best at knowing what's best for your situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    I totally agree with Mag's(Paul's) POV that the CDT is perhaps best considered approached for many more than currently do to section hike it. It sounds like a sectional approach for the CDT is an ideal fit for you so don't immediately discount the CDT. You are probably best at knowing what's best for your situations.

My experience falls short or nill when not speaking of the AT. I would be as confident as could be to grab my pack and set out on any section of the AT and feel like I could do just fine. But for some reason when "PCT/ CDT" are brought up im like "whoa where do I start??!"

Which is why I want to start researching now so that when the AT is complete I can jump right into the next trail the following year/ available vacation time.

Do the same thing you did for the AT. Get the guide book and study it. Personally, I wouldn't worry about doing it in a linear fashion. I'd start with sections which are easy to get to and have some interesting feature, timed for the best weather window. The JMT would be high on the list.

After hiking the AT, you'll probably find the PCT generally easier, but with different challenges, like big stream crossings and high elevation.

I've yet to sample the PCT myself. Maybe one of these days before it all burns down. I've done a reasonable amount of hiking in the Rockies, so that might have to do. The views tend to be a bit more impressive out there then on the AT.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Default Section Hiking the PCT

regarding pct resupply: I stumbled upon an app called pacific crest trail by hiker bot. Very similar to Guthook, but one additional feature that could be great (altho, probably costly):
    you can order resupply items -- food, gear, whatever - right from the app. it has the common pickup points built in. So, if you're sitting in the Lake Morena campground and your air mattress springs a leak, and you're running low on food, you can open the app, order mountain house, plus fruits, nuts, plus the new air mattress, and have it shipped to the mt. Laguna post office. That feature is really cool.

Images

My experience falls short or nill when not speaking of the AT. I would be as confident as could be to grab my pack and set out on any section of the AT and feel like I could do just fine. But for some reason when "PCT/ CDT" are brought up im like "whoa where do I start??!"

Which is why I want to start researching now so that when the AT is complete I can jump right into the next trail the following year/ available vacation time.
    I have done several sections of the CDT and love it. Want to get started, hiked the Colorado Trail taking the Collegiate West route. That will give you 300 or so miles of the CDT and I suspect you will have the confidence to do further sections. THe Wind Ramge is awesome as well though I would do alternatives vs. the CDT is most of that area.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Don't sweat it. It's just hiking on a trail. You'll do fine and enjoy it very much. You just need a little research. People have thruhiked the PCT with nothing but quad sheets.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++