WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ultralight (.23 oz.) knife

While this seems to be a bright idea per se, I can't see much use for such a knife when hiking.
    It would fail miserabely in such simple tasks like cutting an apple or smear some butter on the bread.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo L. View Post
    While this seems to be a bright idea per se, I can't see much use for such a knife when hiking.
    It would fail miserabely in such simple tasks like cutting an apple or smear some butter on the bread.
    2x as above

thom

Some hikers carry a single-edged razor blade with a bit of tape to keep it "safe" when not in use; this gizmo seems like a slight improvement. I figure if a knife is worth carrying, you might as well accept the extra ounce and get something that can whittle a replacement tent stake or two in case of high winds.

Here's my AT knife, weighing 1.3 ounces after removing the pocket clip (visible through the skeletonized handle in this "before" picture):

GerberParaframeMini.jpg

Awesome idea. Thanks for the heads up.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Might be OK for opening boxes

I have an older version in my first aid kit. Otherwise I use a small Opinel...

I have a SAK Ambassador for the scissors. It also has a sharp knife in case I get an irresistible urge to whittle. I have a generic fast-food plastic knife in the food bag for spreading PB.

I have the SAK Classic, which only weighs about 0.8 oz, but offers more flexibility. For the past 5 years, I've mostly carried one of my Opinel knives, which are also pretty light, but have only a single blade. In the end, the decision for me is whether I expect to need to cut a block of cheese or a salami. The SAK's blade is a bit too short for that, but the Opinel is well suited. If I don't plan to cut food, I like the SAK's versatility.

The SAK Ambassador is identical to the Classic but just slightly larger, so the blade and scissors are a bit more useful. The scissors on the Classic are too small for my fat fingers.

I've been using the Dermasafe knives for the last 3-4 years. Surprisingly strong and sturdy. I haven't broken one yet (with reasonably cautious use). $15 for a 10 pack.
    https://www.amazon.com/Derma-Safe-Fo.../dp/B00YAORKSM

Or $8 for a 5 pack:
    https://www.amazon.com/First-Folding.../dp/B005EADU8K
    Last edited by CalebJ; 11-28-2017 at 11:18.

Images

Just my own experience with about 50 years of backpacking... I just hardly ever need a knife for anything, every once in a while I'll cut a cord or something (but a lighter would have worked too to burn through the nylon cord).

That being said, I carry a 0.7 ounce swiss army knife thing for the other devices, the tooth pick, tweezers and scissors, and again, every once in a while the little knife blade.

So basically I'm saying for 0.5 ounces more, get the swiss army knife rather than a relatively useless razor blade and you'll have those other much-more-useful tools.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just my own experience with about 50 years of backpacking... I just hardly ever need a knife for anything, every once in a while I'll cut a cord or something (but a lighter would have worked too to burn through the nylon cord).
    That being said, I carry a 0.7 ounce swiss army knife thing for the other devices, the tooth pick, tweezers and scissors, and again, every once in a while the little knife blade.
    So basically I'm saying for 0.5 ounces more, get the swiss army knife rather than a relatively useless razor blade and you'll have those other much-more-useful tools.

X2 on this, i use the small swiss army knife too; I find the scissors quite handy for cutting mole skin, tweezers are pretty nice to have when ya need em, blade works for intended purposes, nail file is very useful too.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post

The SAK Classic is one of the most perfect pieces of gear in existence. Usefulness/weight can't be beat.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Garlic
    Images

This is kind of similar and can be found at many stores.

One nice thing about disposable blades is the ease of carrying a smaller pack on an airplane.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I've actually had the dermasafe knife in my first aid kit in my carry on bag and had no trouble going through airport security.

Quote Originally Posted by poolskaterx View Post
    X2 on this, i use the small swiss army knife too; I find the scissors quite handy for cutting mole skin, tweezers are pretty nice to have when ya need em, blade works for intended purposes, nail file is very useful too.
    $10-12 bucks, This is the one I like:
    swiss army knife.jpg

Apparently I was the only one to be amused by the way the heading on the BPL review was written :
    "Micro-utility knife "

It says buy one now! I can give them my money now and MAYBE get one in February. No thanks. I'll just wait till it's in stock. That way I don't lose my money if they don't deliver on a product

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++