WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Foot vent in bivy

So for a while I’ve wanted to add a waterproof zipper to my helium bivy. I have the ziper, some bug mesh. Is it worth it? It’s not going to make a huge opening. I have some Cuban clear seam tape and a few different seam sealers. Should I dive in, keep it as is or ship it out the door?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know. The only reason to do that would be to add venting at the feet, but if it's not going to be a very big opening, how well would this work? I'd put a zipper along the side so it would be easier to get in and out of.

I had a self supporting bivy with vented foot, but it was more of a mini-tent due to the use of loops front and back for support. This allowed air to pass through the tent for condensation control. It could be sealed up pretty tight in heavy rain. I really liked that tent, even though I had to slide into it feet first. But with a Gortex top and coated ripstop nylon bottom, it was on the heavy side.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This has a hoop design so there is no way to do a side zipper. It was my first bivy and owes me nothing. The best way to use it seems to be putting your pad inside and sleeping on the top and unless weather gets bad stay out. But the warmest I’ve been in it is ~32*. It might work better above 40 being pertex.

Okay, I see. It's sort of like the OR Advanced Bivy I have, but mine has a different hoop system in the front and none at the foot. I'd leave well enough alone, I really don't see how you'd gain anything with a little netting at the foot.

I typically use the bivy in the fall when I know there is little chance of rain, but like to have some extra warmth. It's also good on tent platforms here in the Whites. I've also used bivys in the snow. Spring and summer I use a tent for more room and better bug protection.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Yea my cousin has the advanced bivy. The helium bivy is the same minus the shell material, foot vent and second hoop. We were up your way in a snow storm one night and I used a sleeping bag liner over my quilt and the inside of the bivy and the liner was a sheet of ice. His advanced had minimal condensation. I guess I just need to work the fabric more to fully understand it’s limitations. I got a Borah gear event bivy I plan on using this winter with a foot vent to hopefully allow me a more comfortable nights rest when the temps are - and the winds a howling.

++ New Posts ++