Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
Maine Ranger Deb Palman said, "This is some of the worst country in Maine. It's hard to understand how logistically difficult this area was on any given day, by the time a searcher would get close to where Largay was found, they'd have to turn around to make it back to their vehicles by nightfall."

This I find perplexing. I would assume searchers could backpack in and spend the night and continue the search---so they won't have to turn around and "make it back to their vehicles by nightfall."

About 20 years ago I went on a backpacking trip in Pisgah NF with a friend and he had the worst balance of anyone I've ever known. Each step on the trail, some of it rugged, was like watching someone soaked in molasses moving in slow motion. It was mind blowing and infuriating but I kept my mouth shut.

I imagine Geraldine had the same sort of impediment---not lack of balance but maybe terrible spatial awareness.
Excelent point on the “stay out over night” makes sense. Spatially speaking I’m blessed, but I can’t schpell for shyte, maybe she was a good schpeller.