WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
    Journal Entries

Default Mainiac64

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    I know who to feel sorry for.
    Agree, Mainiac64.

Journal Entries

Well said, Suzzz. I hope you get a chance to read the book. I think you'll be happy with it.--Dee www.ddauphinee.com

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Trying to analyze or predict or explain a lost person's behavior is impossible...

S&R analyzes common behavioral patterns of those that get lost in applying their S&R methods. There're commonality traits among those that get found and survive too. Search teams typically create individual profiles for the one being sought. All this info, as well as other data, is cumulatively investigated and applied to search and rescue approaches.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    According to her hiking partner who had left the trail in NH, Gerry had a terrible sense of direction - she was reported to not remember/know which way to go after taking a break, wander off on the wrong trail at intersections, etc. She had waterproof matches, etc., when found and had tried to start a fire, but not succeeded. She also had run out of her depression/anxiety meds at some point. So, yeah, a perfect storm, but part of that storm seems to have been a lack of skills/awareness and perhaps even resignation to her fate. It's a sad tale, but honestly, many if not most people probably would have survived and "got themselves found" in a similar situation.
    Excellent post. Spot on.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Game Warden View Post
    Trying to analyze or predict or explain a lost person's behavior is impossible, beyond the maximum distance a skilled wilderness athlete could have traveled in a certain time in a certain region. Also, SAR is a very "niche" skill; most folks who write about it haven't been involved in many real searches. I've been a military policeman and game warden since 1987, and I can count my SARs on my fingers. I admit I know very little, which is the first step to knowledge.
    Ive read many accounts from national parks.
    In many cases, people dont behave logically, at all.

Many people will attempt shortcuts, with a poor sense of direction. Yep, they wander in circles too often.
    There is an almost irrational determination to continue with a poor choice once its made.
    Reluctance to abandon poor choices due to invested effort , etc until totally lost, or stuck where cannot continue.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-08-2019 at 05:26.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There is an almost irrational determination to continue with a poor choice once its made.
    Reluctance to abandon poor choices due to invested effort , etc until totally lost, or stuck where cannot continue.
    I've been doing the sport of Orienteering for over 10 years now. When you start doing advanced courses, a well designed course usually has two or more "route choices" for each leg. Then there are the less obvious routes for each leg. One tough thing for me was learning to DUMP my route choice when it didn't work. The earlier you toss it in, the less time is wasted on the course/leg. But it is hard to do! "Don't want to give up on this route" mentality. Another thing that hits after you dump the route, is that you have to "relocate". Go back to the last known point you have and you are SURE of on the map.
    It takes a mindset to get this stuff. With her other issues, yep, perfect (sad) storm.
    RIP
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Journal Entries
    Images

Not exactly a perfect storm.

Since she was being ,ET at road crossings, a search was initiated without much delay in a relatively well defined area.

Unlike many lost people she was sufficiently equipped to survive the elements for many days — and did.

The search effort was conducted on a large scale.

Journal Entries

Hi Folks-- Just seeing this now!

The immediate family didn't contribute much, but I communicated with them before starting and said if they objected, I woud not write the book. They didn't.
    I didn't quote from Whiteblaze because I asked a few people but didn't hear back in time, but I thanked WB in the Acknowledgments. There were a few from here: Katherine, Peter, Tom, and others. They were quoted directly and attributed.

Thanks all... hope you like the book.

(Incidentally; I've had nearly 200 emails through my website from hikers saying after they read the book they purchased a compass and took -or are taking- an orienteering class. So happy about that!)

Dee
    www.ddauphinee.com

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8
++ New Posts ++