WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Why are you a solo hiker

Just wondering why you solo hiker

Because I love walking on my own. I'm around so many people day to day and hiking solo is a wonderful antidote to human overdose.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

I like going at my pace, stopping/starting/eating/sleeping/waking/etc., when I want to, without worrying about anyone else's aches, pains, abilities, mood, etc.

I do enjoy meeting people on the trail, and usually camp at or near a shelter and chat with everyone, but I'd just as soon do the hiking by myself. And if I find someone who has similar likes, like my brother or my kids, I hike with them whenever I can.

I love hiking far and fast, and no one else I know is in the same boat.

I like to hike alone and camp with others. I actually like to hike with others too...but that is really dependent on who they are.

It’s logistically easier

Images

Because there are very few people that do the style of hiking that I do.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

I'm a fast hiker. I found someone in Ct that was on pace with me and we ended up finishing the trail together. But, we kept out of each others space for the most part and when we needed a little encouragement, we were there to rag on each a bit.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Among my circle of friends I seem to be the only one not on some medical prescription. I'd like to stay healthy, and I'll hike even though my friends can't join me.

Ooops, I wasn't finished with the last post. haha. Anyway, I like to be alone for the most part and just "get away" from everything and free the mind if you will. Don't get me wrong, I like meeting people and hiking as 2 people but any more than that is too much and takes the fun out of it for me.
    - Trail name: Thumper

Solitude

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People mostly suck.

I do lead day and multi day walks here, and sometimes get very frustrated having to pander to other people's desires/wants/problems etc. Plus organising these walks usually requires a pretty strict schedule. I love to solo so I can do what I want when I want. Stop for an hour and take in a view, start walking at 3am instead of waiting for daylight, eat when I want and if I don't make a planned night loc well there is always tomorrow.
    "He was a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Default Why are you a solo hiker

Everybody I hike with has kids, job, all the things that make plans iffy at best. I plan all my hikes and invite people to come. Most of the time they bail for one reason or another so I take advantage of the time walking in the woods, thinking about everything or nothing.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Images

1. Too slow for most other hikers.

2. Can't smell odors too well, so I'm worried about offending other people with mine.

3. Can't remember names too well.

4. I like the "Hi" and "Bye" of most of my encounters on the Trail. Plus: "How's the water up ahead".

5. A lot of foul language that offends me, so I try not to hang around other people.

6 Solitude - I can sit/hike and listen.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Freedom from responsibility! I've spent most of my life catering to other, family, business and community! When I hike the only partner I want is day Dreams!

The short answer is hiking solo allows you to HYOH. You don't need to consult with another to make decisions, which always has to be done when hiking with a personal friend or significant other. Especially when with the significant other.

I'll do day hikes and weekend trips with friends, but not long distance. For a LASH hike, I go solo.

The actual degree to which your hiking "solo" can vary with the length of the hike. The longer the hike, the greater the chance you will "partner up" with someone or become part of a small group along the way.

Unless your going SOBO or a have a pace outside the bell curve, be it real slow or real fast. You'll probably meet more people in the long run that way, but you won't ever really have a trail family to hike with.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'd love to hike with company but very few of my friends hike.

Journal Entries
    Images

Question Why not?

I find no logic in expending the time & energy to find another hiker who will walk where I want to walk, when I want to walk, at the speed I want to walk, and in the style I want to walk. Besides, I find all parts of my hike to be more pleasant when I am completely alone. I honestly can not come up with one reason to put out the effort to find a partner for my hikes.
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 11-19-2017 at 20:52.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++