WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Because we live in a time, for weal or woe, where everything is associated politically with the identity of some group of people, be it gender, race, religion, or whatever. We can't afford to having wilderness preservation be dismissed as a "rich white men's issue" or the populist segments of both wings of the political spectrum will tear it to shreds. If there is no value to the wilderness beyond its being a playground for rich white men, then the rest of the populace will have no interest in seeing it protected, and it will diminish and fail.
    We also live in a system in which various interest groups form political alliances in order to gain power. The interest groups protecting wilderness are, by and large, allied with other interest groups that collectively pursue their agendas. I have seen wilderness users stereotyped in many ways but "rich white men" isn't what would typically come to mind when observing people either recreating in parks for the day or hiking long distance trails.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I have seen wilderness users stereotyped in many ways but "rich white men" isn't what would typically come to mind when observing people either recreating in parks for the day or hiking long distance trails.
    When it comes to the AT, the number of female thru hikers has reach such numbers that any woman contemplating the challenge can easily find example of others “just like her” that took on and met the challenge.

Same for folks in their 50s.

And 60’s

And older.

Same for prospective hikers who have face significant health issues.

Or were just overweight.

Etc.

Etc.

Knowing, or just knowing of, hikers “like you” that have taken on the challenge is a powerful thing. it opens the door for you to walk on through yourself.

Who has opened the door for you all?

Nobody?

Really?

That said, who among us has ever met a black thru hiker? Or section hiker? Or any black hiker on the AT?

”I did” someone will say. Of course, there have been a few. Not may, though. Out of 18,000 2000 milers how many? Honest question. The answer is very low— of that I am quite certain.

That people with vision want to help nudge the inevitable along with outreach and inclusive policies and programs is all good.

How could it not be?

The AT is a resource that belongs to everyone.

Yikes. I’ve been seeing this thread at the top of the new posts list for awhile.
    I thought it might be about multi-modal self-propelled transportation. Like hike and bike, pack rafting and backpacking, etc.
    Imagine my dismay after skimming the original article and a few replies.
    Oh well. Same stuff. Different day. As for the “journalist”, Never allow facts to interfere with your agenda.
    Wayne

When I hear somebody yearning for "diversity" in all aspects of life and bemoaning the lack thereof it brings to mind frightening images of social engineers culling the herd in order to force that diversity. Be careful what you wish for!

Part of diversity is realizing that perhaps people with different backgrounds and cultural histories might not all want to participate in the same exact activities, and that's OK. I personally think that minority groups (everyone!) would benefit from getting off electronics and into the outdoors as often as possible but the reality is that not all individuals, let alone groups, have that preference and I am skeptical regarding organized attempts to force the issue. The practical barriers to getting on trail for people who live in cities without personal transportation are also significant, although some cities have local parks (like DC as I mentioned) and there are many meet up groups that have car pooling and even organized bus excursions. I've been on a couple of such bus excursions for day hikes and the cost was around $25-30 which to me isn't a great deal for ~150 miles of round trip transportation and hiking with people with similar interests but would be a good chunk of change for someone in poverty regardless of their race.

Default hispanic guy

I don't really care about diversity. Wherever I go I show people respect and they show it back to me. I grew up in a small town in Texas. Yes there was racism but it never came my way. Give respect and get respect. That's how I live my life and it has served me well. Would I like to see minorities on the trail? Sure, why not, but it's not as important as being shown respect and dignity. That transcends color or cultural background.

Quote Originally Posted by csb1985 View Post
    I don't really care about diversity. Wherever I go I show people respect and they show it back to me. I grew up in a small town in Texas. Yes there was racism but it never came my way. Give respect and get respect. That's how I live my life and it has served me well. Would I like to see minorities on the trail? Sure, why not, but it's not as important as being shown respect and dignity. That transcends color or cultural background.
    That's a good attitude. Be nice to people. Be respectful to everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by csb1985 View Post
    Abilene is about as diverse and evenly split among how people live their lives as it gets. Rural towns like it often get overlooked by the big city types who have pre-conceived ideas of how people on these towns treat each other. (I grew up in Albany, so I know Abilene pretty well.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why are the blazes "white". mmm hmm
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Why are the blazes "white". mmm hmm
    Let's see:

• Zinc oxide is cheap and non-harmful to trees.
    • It's a good color contrast to most tree bark (not a huge population of birches on the AT).
    • Tree privilege.

I had never thought about it but trees do have an unfair advantage over other plants such as shrubbery. The trees block out the sunlight which but for their leaves and overly long branches would photosynthesize in the leaves of shrubbery. Shrubbery lives matter! Let's all plant some shrubbery and give shrubbery as gifts for Christmas. They need not be large shrubberys but nice ones.

Once again this seems like a solution looking for a problem to fix. In all of my experiences on the trail, I've NEVER had anyone check me at the trail head to ensure that I meet all the criteria. I doubt anyone else has either. If you want to go. Go.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redbird2 View Post
    Once again this seems like a solution looking for a problem to fix. In all of my experiences on the trail, I've NEVER had anyone check me at the trail head to ensure that I meet all the criteria. I doubt anyone else has either. If you want to go. Go.
    Not a problem, but rather an opportunity.

“In all of my experiences on the Trail”, I have never met a black thruhiker. In fact, I am not sure have met any black backpackers on the trail at all.

Not a one.

Again, not a problem, just a fact. Perhaps I just need to get out more.

But even if you have, an opportunity, no?

An opportunity for organizations like the ATC and AMC among others to reach out to those who may not know just how great and welcoming the Trail and all the people that make it magical can be.

Share the love!

Seems like a fun person on the trail. I like his positive attitude.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I actually passed this guy up near Buena Vista this summer while out day hiking with my Dad and Daughter. We went into that town with the dinosaur to eat, and saw him again there resupplying with another hiker. RickB, I would agree with you on "opportunity" vs "problem". However, the problem is, that so many others see it as a problem, with a specific group of people to blame. I used to love Shelton Johnson, but in the article, apparently so many of "us" come from a position of privilege and superiority and we just perpetuate the problem. Lost alot of respect for Ranger Johnson after reading that article.
    It is what it is.

My take---The trail is there to be used by all. However, it has no opinion on your gender, race, religion , politics etc.

The trail is the great equalizer when it comes to the above.
    I feel no responsibility to worry about diversity on the trail.
    Its there for the taking. If you want to use it then use it.
    If you don't want to use it or its not your cup of tea then stay home and do what floats your boat!!

Just tossing in this bit from earlier today.

I mentioned the AT to my mother a few weeks ago and somehow she misunderstood and thought I was going to Georgia for work. Now word is about to spread about the moronic waste of time and money.

If I find more than three people around here that think being out in the sticks is worth doing, I'll be shocked.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
++ New Posts ++