WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ozark Highlands December

I'm starting my OHT thru on December 17 and am narrowing down my gear list. I am unsure of the low temps and playing it safe, input from anyone who is more familiar would be appreciated.

Pack-mld exodus
    Shelter-mld solomid xl and 4 stakes
    Sleep system-EE Enigma 20 degree and a ridgerest solar cut in half to double up
    Rain gear-frogg toggs ultralight top and bottom
    Clothing carried-100 wt fleece zip, mytrailco down hooded jacket (new version), long johns, fleece cap, mld gloves, wool sock pair
    Light-black diamond icon and petzl elite
    Ditty bag-razor blade, anti chafe balm, mini bic, spare batterys for spot (one set), mini toothbrush, Sawyer squeeze

Two food drops (lick branch and Fairview trailheads)

December weather in this area is really unpredictable. You could have 50s and 60s during the day and 30s and 40s at night, or it could be full on winter with snow and freezing temperatures. You won't know until you get closer to your departure date.

Fair chance you won't then either!

Images

Sounds delightful! I was looking for something like that to do this winter, I'm going to take a closer look myself....

It goes without saying that the weather could be just about anything, like Bronk says... but being fairly conservative myself, I do wonder if your sleep kit is adequate for best comfort. It is certainly safe enough, but I've found that EE quilts are a bit on the optimistic side on temp ratings. I'd feel good about, say, a western mountaineering 20 degree bag, but a EE quilt might be more like high-20's for real comfort. Couple this with you being in a single walled tent (I think?) and you might have a chilly night or two. You could always do the hot water bottle thing...

Anyway, good luck and report in! Anxious to learn more about this trail.

I added in a one pound 45degree synthetic quilt as an overbag and m65pant liners. Base weight is at 10 even with that added so I might as well.

I live in NE Texas about 100 miles east of Dallas. In simple terms, quite a ways south of the OHT.
    It’s not unusual for us to get 2-3 mornings in a row in the 25-15 degree range. Typically the first morning will be 25-20, next morning 20-15 and once in awhile the third morning will be cold, 12-15. If a front like that hits you, subtract 5-10 degrees and expect wind as the front comes through. The coldest nights will be calm.
    Adding the quilt might make up for the lack of a real sleeping bag.
    Looking forward to a trip report. The OHT is on my winter list.
    Have fun.
    Wayne

Yes it does appear that every year it suddenly goes from 25-30 at night to single digits. Since I can easily cache food I will stick with taking the gear to be comfortable and finish the hike if it turns out to be that cold.

No guarantee that we will get a really cold front during your hike. The warm up after the front is fairly quick. I think you have a good plan.
    Prepare for the worst and hope for the best.
    Wayne

The nice thing about this part of the country is that you are not very likely to get snowed in anywhere. You might get as much as a foot of snow (rarely, maybe once a year...maybe), but more often you'll get a dusting of snow that will melt within 24 hours. Snow rarely lasts more than a day or two. It doesn't stay freezing for long periods of time. It might freeze overnight, but more often than not its going to warm up in the day time. Which makes for perfect hiking weather in my opinion. To me 40 to 50 is a great temperature range to hike in. And that is what you will find most often in the Ozarks from December to March.

A couple of hard freezes get rid of the vegetation on the trail and nasty insects like ticks.
    Wayne

Images

Hey OP (or anyone, for that matter), looks like my wife and I have a free week or so, so we want to come do a ~120 mile section of the OHT, probably not quite enough time to do the whole thing.

My question: What would be the best continuous 120 or so miles of the OHT?

And is there any preference of east-bound vs. west bound?

We're excited about doing this trail, thanks for your original post, it got me thinking about it.

I'm curious to hear what your resupply plan is? From what I can gather there's nothing too close to the trail and the best options are mail drops at Ozone & Pelsor (Fairview TH). I'm thinking of doing this trail or the Ouachita in Jan. Ouachita has a lot of miles that allows for mountain bikes though :-( sooooo.....

I am only about an hour away from some of the trailheads so I can just drop off resupply bags.

Quote Originally Posted by LAF View Post
    I'm curious to hear what your resupply plan is? From what I can gather there's nothing too close to the trail and the best options are mail drops at Ozone & Pelsor (Fairview TH). I'm thinking of doing this trail or the Ouachita in Jan. Ouachita has a lot of miles that allows for mountain bikes though :-( sooooo.....
    When I hiked the Ouachita trail I didn't see a soul 14 of the 17 days I was on the trail and not a single mountain biker... Perhaps the most isolated I have ever felt on a hike. Was fantastic.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

++ New Posts ++