Default Van (tiny home) parking along the PCT

I am planning to hike the PCT in 2018 and currently live in a van style tiny home. Is there any roccomended long sections of the PCT where I can park the van, grab a ride south, and hike north back to it?

If possible,I would like to try and park it where a normal gear change might be needed. Things like ice axes and snow shoes can be left in it, or picked up from.

Thanks!

It's totally possible. In 2009 The Boys from Maine were dong that with a pick up truck. They'd drive it ahead, then hitch back and hike to the truck. At least one of the Boys made it as far as Tuolumne.

Might be good to coordinate with known trail angels in each area. They can at least point you to legit parking areas.

Find a like minded soul with a vehicle. Two vehicles eliminate hitching and paying for a shuttle.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Might be good to coordinate with known trail angels in each area. They can at least point you to legit parking areas.
    How do I find out the trail angels ahead of time?

I want more info and pics of you van, tiny home.

At least in Southern California and into the Sierra I think it is very possible and if planned well, public transportation could even be a possibility. I'm thinking in particular of:

Border to Big Bear: Park in Big Bear, public transit to LA, the onward to San Diego, bus to trail, hike north to van.
    Big Bear to Acton KOA: Look into whether KOA will allow parking, or legit parking in town, public transit (train) to LA, then bus to Big Bear, hike north to van.
    Acton to Walker Pass: Park at Walker Pass, bus to Lake Isabella, I believe there is connecting service to Bakersfield and LA, train to Acton, hike north to van.
    Walker Pass to Lone Pine or Whitney Portal. ESTA from Lone Pine to Inyokern, bus to Walker Pass, hike north to van.
    Lone Pine to Tuolumne: YARTS from Tuolumne to Mammoth, ESTA from Mammoth to Lone Pine, hitch to Whitney Portal, hike north to van.

There are probably other variations possible but I think this is totally doable, probably further north as well but I'm not familiar enough to comment north of Tuolumne. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    At least in Southern California and into the Sierra I think it is very possible and if planned well, public transportation could even be a possibility. I'm thinking in particular of:

Border to Big Bear: Park in Big Bear, public transit to LA, the onward to San Diego, bus to trail, hike north to van.
    Big Bear to Acton KOA: Look into whether KOA will allow parking, or legit parking in town, public transit (train) to LA, then bus to Big Bear, hike north to van.
    Acton to Walker Pass: Park at Walker Pass, bus to Lake Isabella, I believe there is connecting service to Bakersfield and LA, train to Acton, hike north to van.
    Walker Pass to Lone Pine or Whitney Portal. ESTA from Lone Pine to Inyokern, bus to Walker Pass, hike north to van.
    Lone Pine to Tuolumne: YARTS from Tuolumne to Mammoth, ESTA from Mammoth to Lone Pine, hitch to Whitney Portal, hike north to van.

There are probably other variations possible but I think this is totally doable, probably further north as well but I'm not familiar enough to comment north of Tuolumne. Good luck.
    Perfect! That's great info!!

++ New Posts ++