WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SNP Winter Thru Hike

Hey guys,

I'm looking into doing the SNP section next month and wanted to see if anyone had experience with water sources in the park during the winter and info on parking at each end for setting up a car shuttle.

I have experience camping in alpine situations so I know I have the gear and am planning to do it fast and light (as much as you can with winter gear!). I'm thinking 4 full days which is a fair pace even with the early sunsets for me. If we get another partner we might put a car in the middle as a gear cache and do a lot of miles our first day, but this feels like cheating to me so tbd.

I'm a college student from nearby SNP and have spent many summer, fall, and spring days in the park but not too many during the winter since I'm usually busy with finals or gone for break.

Thanks for any input you can share!

Hey there,
    Also planning a winter thru-hike and would like to hear about the water situation. Are you planning on carrying all your food? I'm planning on hitching a ride on 211 to Sperryville to resupply. Kinda a bummer that the Waysides will be closed for winter.

I'm planning on going in mid-Dec, how about you?

You might want to hitch to Luray rather than Sperryville for more resupply choices. I've been to both towns but never hitched on 211. Luray has more options.

Images

If you want to hike the entire park then you can park at Route 522 just outside of Front Royal. When I hiked this section I hitched to the south end of the park. It was remarkably easy.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    If you want to hike the entire park then you can park at Route 522 just outside of Front Royal. When I hiked this section I hitched to the south end of the park. It was remarkably easy.
    Was at the VA 522 trail head today around 1:30 pm. I was the 4th car there. I've seen up to 10, so you probably won't have any parking issues.

Nice! Sounds like we have similar ideas on the best way to do it. I'm leaning towards 2 nights so will either just cary that food or using a bear canister and cache'ing near the first night's destination.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've used this parking, it is good! I think there is also parking at the nearby 4H off va602 if you coordinate with them. The parking at 601 is only good for 2 cars...I've used it for day hikes only.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

Quote Originally Posted by lal2wx View Post
    Nice! Sounds like we have similar ideas on the best way to do it. I'm leaning towards 2 nights so will either just cary that food or using a bear canister and cache'ing near the first night's destination.
    Wow, 2 nights! I would never dream of hiking that far in 3 days. Best of luck to you!

I’m planning 6 nights to get from Rockfish Gap to Manasas Gap and feel like I’m pushing it haha.

I’m planning on parking at the Rockfish Gap Visitors center and then getting picked up by a family member at Manasas Gap by a family member thatll be heading that direction anyway. Any advice would be much appreciated.

I’ve done some cold weather hiking before (Smokys last Thanksgiving) and learned a lot. I actually hike better in the cold I think because I tend to overheat, so I’m looking forward to it!

SNP is great when the leaves are off the trees... Less of a green tunnel and lots of views. The second coldest night I've ever spent on trail was SNP in late March a few years ago. It can be brutally cold and windy but great for anyone who likes the cold or can at least handle it.

++ New Posts ++