I don't quite understand it, but twice now, I've hiked the Hannah Mountain Trail during Veteran's Day weekend, and both times, I basically had that corner of the park to myself. Campsites #14, #15, and #16 just don't have ANYONE staying at them this time of year.

Yet I've found it a great time to hike this section of the woods. You get a combination of beautiful leaf-covered trails and a touch of fall color still in some of the trees. The trail isn't particularly difficult, and the distances are quite reasonable for most hikers. Temperatures can be on the chilly side, but it can also be great weather for building a camp fire (something I now usually do without in GSMNP).

Basically, you park at the Gregory Ridge Trail head and walk the 3 miles up Parson's Branch Road to get to Hannah Mountain Trail. You exit the back country at Abrams Fall trail head where it's a 3 mile road walk back to your car (and less if you can score a hitch-hike). You can either complete the loop using Rabbit Creek Trail, or you can ford Abrams Creek and return via Abrams Falls Trail.

The 1st year I did this loop, one car passed us driving Parson's Branch Road. Once we got to the trail, the only person we saw all day was that same motorist who had done an out-and-back day hike on parts of Hannah Mountain Trail. Weather was warm enough that a 32º sleeping bag was all I needed.

This year, Parson's Branch Road was closed (and from the rumors I've heard, that might become permanent). The only person we saw that 1st day was a bicyclist resting at the Hannah Mountain Trail head spending the day taking advantage of bicycling Parson's Branch Road now devoid of vehicle traffic. We didn't see another person until we reached the Abrams Creek Ford the following day. Weather the 1st night was pretty cold (forecast was for temperatures to kiss the freezing point), but the 2nd night was very comfortable. Cold enough to enjoy a warm fire after sunset, yet plenty warm enough tucked away in your sleeping bag.

About the only negative to these trips has been having to deal with all the other motorists circling Cades Cove. This past Friday late morning, we averaged around 5-8 mph between the start of Cades Cove Loop and the trail head.