WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Tattoos scream poor judgement....unless it's a military insignia.

People who own pit bulls seem to love them.....

ALSO

people who own pit bulls have poor judgement.
    Your specious reasoning is quite amusing, thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Your specious reasoning is quite amusing, thanks for the laugh.

Perception is 99% of reality.

Glad you were amused.

Don't let the AT tattoo Nazis rule over you. Be free.

Why are some thru hikers so intolerant and regimented? Sorry, Bud, we don't have to conform to your ideas about how things should be done. There's as many ways as there are people.

As for me, there is much more motivation in completing the hike after getting a tattoo. Getting which is somewhat painful, BTW.

People tattoo themselves, and there is nothing terrible about it.

Moreover, that's not the type of tattoo she has to deserve to get (like prison tattoos), so why can't she get a tattoo before she finishes the hike?

I had the following conversation about tattoos while on the AT with my older hiking buddy. Paraphrased because I have a bad memory.

Him: I just don't understand why people get tattoos. They look trashy, don't add anything, and just bother me.

Me: It's kind of like why people drive convertibles, they don't really add anything, they're just a style statement that makes the driver happy.

Him: I drive a convertible... (I had no idea he drove a convertible!)

Him: Yeah, that I can see what you're saying.

Also...
    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    its her skin----its her tattoo.......
    +1

Also... I can't think of any piece of art I'd want to see every single day, not even my kid's names (I'd get sick of the font,) but that's me, so no tats for me. I've seen neat tattoos, and ugly tattoos on other people, but... they aren't getting them to please me. As I've gotten uglier myself, I judge people a whole lot less on appearance. Wish I'd learned this earlier in life.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post
    Don't let the AT tattoo Nazis rule over you. Be free.

Why are some thru hikers so intolerant and regimented? Sorry, Bud, we don't have to conform to your ideas about how things should be done. There's as many ways as there are people.
    Seems kinda snarky depending on what you are calling "nazi".... The OP asked our opinion on when getting a tattoo is appropriate, some of us said only after completing the AT as a kind of reward/souvenir. That's not being Nazi, just saying what our own preferences are. I also see the logic on getting one first as a motivation for completing the trail! Makes sense. But I'd only get one pre-trail if I really thought I had the stuff to complete a long trail. A first time or beginning hiker wouldn't know this.

It goes without saying, yet everyone always says, of course it's one's own call for him/herself.

If you are referring to all the anti-tat remarks, I kind of agree that some of the anti-tat wordings are kind of extreme...

Anyway, I have zero tats, but fully intend on eventually populating my legs with completed major hike tattoos, probably just the simple trail logos, and modestly small. AT (done!), LT (done!), CT, PCT both TBD, probably that would be enough tats.

I have a small tat on my right ankle, sometimes I forget it's even there as it's hardly ever visible. It's something that has always and will always have meaning for me. Once I've completed the AT I plan on getting a small memorial tat on my left ankle. Here again it will hardly ever be seen by anyone, but will always be there to remind me of my time on the trail and the accomplishment.

Late response, and a fun read. Like others have said, it's up to each person to decide, if, when, where they might get a tattoo. I respect those who do and those who don't agree with tattoos of any kind, for any reason. I'm 65, never had one, never considered one, but I decided to do the AT symbol on my right calf upon completion of my hike in August '17. I waited about two weeks, got the tattoo and am glad I did. It's just the right amount of subtle, invites a comment now and again, and makes me feel good about my accomplishment.

Gotta love our AT community!

Ragnar GA-ME 16'/'17
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I got mine after my thru hike but had done plenty of section hiking before (and after) that. Thru hiking is WAY overrated. If you love the trail and it means something to you, get the tattoo. It will help you find like minded people and be a constant reminder of one of the most wonderful places on earth. Much more meaningful than barbwire or some other nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    To all the wise hikers out ther ... here is the Dilemma

my wife (Dandelion) got the AT symbol tattooed on her calf as inspiration for her to finish the thru hike. I say she is wrong

i say you you can only get the tattoo when you have completed the hike. You don’t wear the T-shirt unless it is earned.

please help
    Whenever I complete my NOBO and SOBO i'm getting one of these for each arm.

0f2baa13cd52582aa4151c58cfe8c1a8.jpg

Not.

Journal Entries
    Images

Getting a AT tattoo is you have not thru-hiked is like getting , USN with a anchor and never been in the navy.
    Grampie-N->2001

Silly debate. Everyone knows tattoos make a statement, so make a good one! A tattoo with the apex of the A at the top of the nose bridge, the top bar of the T across the eyebrows and the bottom bar of the A across the upper lip. Be sure the AT insignia is at least a half inch wide.

Perfection.

Images

so someone cannot get the a.t. symbol tattooed because they have not finished the trail ??? i'm lost on this one ..

Images

people usually get tattoos for things that are special to them and bring meaning and happiness to them when they see them. (of course some get dumb ones during a night of partying but those are the regrettable ones). you don't need to have completed something, like a thru for instance to have an A.T. tattoo. Rediscovering the trail years ago, and having hiked hundreds of miles each season and several states since, including +/-100 hrs each year volunteering with my local A.T. maintenance club on the same section in southern new england, I added a small A.T. logo on my arm above a compass i already had there. It makes me smile, is a great conversation starter that also helps me get others interested in exploring the trail and maybe even volunteering, and is a special momento to something very special to me, and all of us. The trail isn't only there for thru hikers, and they are not the only ones who should be worthy of a tattoo, if they completed it. I one day plan to complete it, but i have a full time job and kids to raise as do most of us section hikers. I give back to the trail as much as humanly possible in the meantime close to home as its manageable. Millions enjoy the trail each year as day, section and thru hikers. Why the competition and elitism? The trail wasn't ever designed exclusively for thru hikers. That attititude really irks me, as does FKT records. Maybe read some of the history on Avery and McKaye, and their original intents for the trail. Just because Shaffer and Granny Gatewood thru'd and it became a bit of a craze in the last 20 years. doesn't mean that's what the trail is specifically for. I admire those that have the time and the perserverence to do it. But I don't feel it makes them better than anyone else out there enjoying it. And unfortunately you find that attitude out there amongst thrus, many of whom never hike again, let alone volunteer to preserve the trail.
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by linus72 View Post
    people usually get tattoos for things that are special to them and bring meaning and happiness to them when they see them. (of course some get dumb ones during a night of partying but those are the regrettable ones). you don't need to have completed something, like a thru for instance to have an A.T. tattoo. Rediscovering the trail years ago, and having hiked hundreds of miles each season and several states since, including +/-100 hrs each year volunteering with my local A.T. maintenance club on the same section in southern new england, I added a small A.T. logo on my arm above a compass i already had there. It makes me smile, is a great conversation starter that also helps me get others interested in exploring the trail and maybe even volunteering, and is a special momento to something very special to me, and all of us. The trail isn't only there for thru hikers, and they are not the only ones who should be worthy of a tattoo, if they completed it. I one day plan to complete it, but i have a full time job and kids to raise as do most of us section hikers. I give back to the trail as much as humanly possible in the meantime close to home as its manageable. Millions enjoy the trail each year as day, section and thru hikers. Why the competition and elitism? The trail wasn't ever designed exclusively for thru hikers. That attititude really irks me, as does FKT records. Maybe read some of the history on Avery and McKaye, and their original intents for the trail. Just because Shaffer and Granny Gatewood thru'd and it became a bit of a craze in the last 20 years. doesn't mean that's what the trail is specifically for. I admire those that have the time and the perserverence to do it. But I don't feel it makes them better than anyone else out there enjoying it. And unfortunately you find that attitude out there amongst thrus, many of whom never hike again, let alone volunteer to preserve the trail.
    Well said, and thanks for giving back.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

It is a pleasure and a privilege! Heck I’ve even gotten some ‘official’ responsibilities as of late, furthering my ability to give back and help others to enjoy it at whatever capacity they can and meaning I can devote even more time to it. I started out a quite bit naïve myself as a newbie and through the process have learned a lot of useful advice I can give back in my adventures to other hikers. This magical trail has changed my life for the better and I enjoy every moment of it, rain or shine! I have also learned a lot of useful information on this site through you all. So thanks for that!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

OP strikes me as someone who would rather be "right" than happy.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++