WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Truth be told I could care less what someone does with their body, just posing an alternative point of view.

Journal Entries
    Images

You go get a tattoo. "THE OTHER HUSBAND". Lol

Images

Myself and every mountaineer I know would never ever get souvenir, t-shirt, cap, whatever, before making summit, it's just not done. AT is different, but I treated it the same, bought an AT necklace at cool hostel in Maine, but didn't wear it until katahdin summit.

Still working on getting AT tat.. Really want one, but I always feel special at gym being only person there not covered in ink...

If Jurek would’ve drank the champagne before the summit, he’d likely not have the troubles that followed...but that’d have been wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    great way to get an infection and send ya packin’
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by map man View Post
    I don't believe there's anything inherent in the AT symbol that requires the whole trail to be hiked. When I see an AT tattoo I simply conclude that the Appalachian Trail is important to the person with the tattoo. So I am siding with your wife.
    As a section hiker with close to 1000 miles completed, I agree!

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Then again, Baltimore Jack used to say to never buy all your maildrop food ahead of time because if you get injured in Georgia, the last thing you want is to get home and have 3,000 Poptarts sitting in the corner laughing at you. That advice might be applicable to this situation as well.
    Thank you for that. I needed it this evening.

Journal Entries
    Images

I wouldn't say she's "wrong" because you don't ever tell a woman that if you hope to live to a ripe old age. Know what I mean?

However, I have the same urge and I'll tell you how I'm going to handle it. My tat, which I'll be getting soon on my right calf, is of a boot print. The middle of the boot print has room for a logo or a symbol.

AFTER I thru, the AT symbol will be added in.

Then a second boot print will be added, and if I finish the PCT, that symbol will go inside the second boot. Same for the CDT.

Quote Originally Posted by Mulungu View Post
    To all the wise hikers out ther ... here is the Dilemma

my wife (Dandelion) got the AT symbol tattooed on her calf as inspiration for her to finish the thru hike. I say she is wrong

i say you you can only get the tattoo when you have completed the hike. You don’t wear the T-shirt unless it is earned.

please help

I don't see why a completion is required. I have spent the greater portion of all my spare time for the past 4 years completing the trail. If the west side boys came along and cut my leg off tomorrow....I feel I have walked enough of it to earn a tattoo. Likewise people get POW tattoos that were not personally prisoners of war, Pink ribbon tattoos to pay respects to those who have suffered cancer..not actually having cancer themselves.

So go for it...get the tattoo whenever you would like.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

It's like wearing a Harley-Davidson tee shirt when you can't tell the difference between a knucklehead and a shovel head .

To use a sports analogy; You don't get a ring if you lose in the playoffs.

Registered User middle to middle's Avatar

Whatever floats your boat !

Journal Entries
    Images

In my estimation, getting a AT tattoo is like a reward for successfully hiking the trail. If you don’t finish, you don’t get the prize.
    Grampie-N->2001

Wait, so all those people with AT license plates and bumper stickers are fraudsters or doing it for motivation to thru hike?

People can put whatever they want on their skin, car etc for whatever (stupid) reason they want. I’ve learned it’s best not to ask.

When I was halfway done with the AT and got to the ATC center in Harpers Ferry, the lady behind the counter was perfectly willing to sell me a 2000 Miler rocker patch. It was only two dollars or so, but couldn’t buy it because it was too sacred. That had to wait until I had completed the trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know a girl who plans to thru hike, has not yet stepped on the trail, but already has a tattoo.
    I've now completed 25% of it, and I wait.
    To each their own. Shrug

Also, years ago in the military, my instructor gave tattoo advicecondensed)
    Get pic or drawing of tat you want. Look at pic or drawing daily for 1 year. Get it if you still want it after that year.
    I still don't have a tat... But have been working on an AT design for a while now.

How about suggesting that she get a white, blue or yellow blaze above her butt crack!!
    Let me know how that works out for you dawg! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Then again, Baltimore Jack used to say to never buy all your maildrop food ahead of time because if you get injured in Georgia, the last thing you want is to get home and have 3,000 Poptarts sitting in the corner laughing at you. That advice might be applicable to this situation as well.
    Well, if you're buying 3000 poop tarts, an easy enough junk food to readily locate, to mail ahead for an AT thru that says something in itself.

If the tat inspires her that's what inspires her. It's her hike perhaps just as so perhaps even more so if you or someone else she initially anticipates completing quits.

Tattoos scream poor judgement....unless it's a military insignia.

People who own pit bulls seem to love them.....

ALSO

people who own pit bulls have poor judgement.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++