WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cook Kit Storage Question

I'm fairly new at formal hiking and overnight stays. Most of the commercially sold cook kits using iso and the ones people put together show storing the iso canisters inside the cook pot. Does that pose any health risks (iso leaking and contaminating the cook pot)? Probably obsessive/compulsive on my part, but I've always carried the fuel canister in an external separate pouch. What are your thoughts?

I highly doubt it would affect anything. It is a gas so if it did leak, it should evaporate, right? I don't think it is anything to worry about.

I agree. No problem carrying it inside the cook pot.

One important thing, however, is to ALWAYS use the little plastic cap that covers the canister's threads and Lindal valve. A tiny bit of dirt or debris in there can really mess up your stove.

Other than that, store it where you want.

I use a bandanna laid flat, then bit lighter, then fuel canister set into bottom of pot. Fold two wings of bandanna in and set the microrocket folding the other two wings to cover it. Lid on. Collapsible S2S. Cup over it and everything 8nto the toaks orange bag. I have a spare bandanna to swap on laundry or last day of trip. I do this because of moisture in the pot that rusted the canister between trips and I hate the “clanking” of metal when hiking. Now that is an obsessive/compulsive post!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I agree. No problem carrying it inside the cook pot.

One important thing, however, is to ALWAYS use the little plastic cap that covers the canister's threads and Lindal valve. A tiny bit of dirt or debris in there can really mess up your stove.

I would add to store it upside down with the cap on the bottom of your pot. I have had the canister get damp & rust a bit & stain the bottom of my pot. Other than that, store it where you want.
    WhiteBlaze wants me to make this at least 10 characters but it is already longer than that so what's up?

Now I see, it included my comment in the quote. I learn something new every day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillbillyhanger View Post
    I'm fairly new at formal hiking and overnight stays. Most of the commercially sold cook kits using iso and the ones people put together show storing the iso canisters inside the cook pot. Does that pose any health risks (iso leaking and contaminating the cook pot)? Probably obsessive/compulsive on my part, but I've always carried the fuel canister in an external separate pouch. What are your thoughts?
    The butane/propane blend is a gas at atmospheric pressure and normal temperatures. It would just dissipate. No health risks. I carry my fuel canisters in the pot and carried the pot in the main compartment of my backpack.
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

Thanks for the feedback. Didn't know what the gas would do to the surface finish of the pot or the surface finish of my innards..

The chance of gas itself marring the pot is somewhere between zero and none.

Although, as gbolt noted, the canister can leave rust stains if there is moisture on the canister or pot, and it can cause scratch marks as well if there's no buffer around the canister.

However, IMO even this is not a problem unless you're using a pot that has some sort of non-stick coating.

If leakage is a worry to some with a canister they would freak hearing I've stored my whitegas stoves in my cook sets lol. Namely an old Coleman and my favorite svea even store my trangia in the pot never had an leak issues. Highly doubtful with a canister
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

++ New Posts ++