Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Registered User methodman's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-23-2015
    Location
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Age
    71
    Posts
    138

    Default Guthooks Vs. Gaia

    What is the difference between Guthooks and Gaia when it comes to using it on an the A. T. I need help making the choice.

  2. #2
    Registered User eabyrd1506's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-12-2016
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    What is the difference between Guthooks and Gaia when it comes to using it on an the A. T. I need help making the choice.
    Never used Gaia but I can tell you Guthooks works well even when running in airplane mode to save battery. Waypoint files are updated and updatable by the community which can be helpful for water searches


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3

    Default

    Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

    GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

    If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.
    Trail Miles: 3,715.9
    AT Trips: 67
    AT Map 1 Completion: 1818.9 Springer, GA - Franconia Notch, NH
    AT Map 2 Completion: 263.8 Gaps From GA - PA

  4. #4
    Registered User KDogg's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-30-2015
    Location
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Posts
    267

    Default

    These two apps are not even comparable.

    Gaia is a GPS replacement. The goal is to be everything that, say, a Garmin device is.

    Guthook's is a trail guide that has GPS capabilities. Guthook's contains information such as shelters, water sources, town and facility information. Guthook's allows users to comment on all waypoints to give status on them that is available to all users. Great for finding out if a water source is running or if shelters have pest problems. It also has pictures of every waypoint so that you know what to look for. Guthook's is much more than a standard GPS and is available for many more trails than just the AT. Yes, pricey but it is not just a GPS app. The app may not be relevant to you once you have completed a thru hike but it is awesome if that is what you are doing. I used it last year and swear by it. I wouldn't do any long trail without Guthook's maps if they were available.

  5. #5

    Default

    You need both (really). If you run on Android, Backcountry Navigator Pro is better than Gaia (much better). Apple fanboys need not apply.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

    GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

    If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.
    What he said.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    You need both (really). If you run on Android, Backcountry Navigator Pro is better than Gaia (much better). Apple fanboys need not apply.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    I use Gaia (for Android) and really like it. Never tried BNP. What makes BNP a better app? (Don't doubt you, just curious. Thanks.)

  8. #8
    Registered User eabyrd1506's Avatar
    Join Date
    07-12-2016
    Location
    Coatesville, PA
    Age
    55
    Posts
    73

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

    GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

    If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.
    The latest version of Guthooks allows you to record you travels if you wish. I never saw the need, I know where I have been, it is where I am gong that excites me


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnspenn View Post
    I use Gaia (for Android) and really like it. Never tried BNP. What makes BNP a better app? (Don't doubt you, just curious. Thanks.)
    A couple of things. The map engine is much better in BCN, they render quicker, run smoother and, overall, look better, even using the same map data. BCN is less buggy than Gaia. Funny, I also have an iPhone and the Gaia app works much better in IOS, telling me the developer is putting more resources into that platform. I prefer the BCN interface to Gaia, but that's a personal preference. Another big deal, for me, it that you can change the waypoint symbols in BCN so you can, at a glance, know that the waypoint your approaching is, say, a campsite or a parking area. On the other hand, I really like that with Gaia, you can download a map along a track while in BCN, you have to do manually. Finally, Gaia is moving toward a subscription model where you pay every year. Not yet on Android (I don't think) but it's coming. With BCN, you pay for the app only once.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-28-2010
    Location
    Montgomery, AL
    Posts
    130

    Default

    Guthook = Waze for hiking. Somewhat real time updates regarding water source availability, distance to next water, road, town, shelter. Really good elevation profile data as well.

    Gaia is a great iPhone GPS app, but the AT is just another trail.



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    A couple of things. The map engine is much better in BCN, they render quicker, run smoother and, overall, look better, even using the same map data. BCN is less buggy than Gaia. Funny, I also have an iPhone and the Gaia app works much better in IOS, telling me the developer is putting more resources into that platform. I prefer the BCN interface to Gaia, but that's a personal preference. Another big deal, for me, it that you can change the waypoint symbols in BCN so you can, at a glance, know that the waypoint your approaching is, say, a campsite or a parking area. On the other hand, I really like that with Gaia, you can download a map along a track while in BCN, you have to do manually. Finally, Gaia is moving toward a subscription model where you pay every year. Not yet on Android (I don't think) but it's coming. With BCN, you pay for the app only once.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
    Being able to use different waypoint symbols would be a big plus. Does BCN have a web interface like Gaia does?

  12. #12

    Default

    Not sure, never used. I do all my work in Garmin Basecamp then download to the app. Since I also have an Oregon 600, I kill two birds with one stone.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

  13. #13

    Default

    I find them both useful. I use both when I'm on a trail that Guthook has an app for, and just Gaia when not.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

    The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet



  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    02-28-2017
    Location
    Lake Meauwataka, MI
    Age
    61
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Guthooks: An app dedicated to AT logistics(along with other trails if you purchase the respective apps). It is strictly a guide, no logging your personal travel however you can create trips within the app, you can not record your trip as you complete.

    GAIA: A real time GPS app that is outstanding. You can upload layers for different trails you would like to hike, track your route, speed, elevation gain/ loss. Very useful tool however it takes some playing with to learn.

    If you are looking for use on the AT only, I would choose the guthooks app. If I am venturing off into an area that is not blazed, or a place without adequate signage, I turn on GAIA.
    Yes Guthooks does record your trip as you go. Used it several times this summer.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  15. #15

    Default

    They are both useful apps. On a trail like the AT, you will likely find Guthooks more useful as it contains data specifically tailored for that trail and users notes about what's ahead of you.

    If you plan side trips to explore off the trail, Gaia would be a better tool. It's more like your typical GPS.
    My book I Had a Dream, I Lived It is now available on Amazon. 1% of all 2018 sales will go to Pacific Crest Trail Association. http://goo.gl/pLfXMO Happy Trails!

  16. #16

    Default

    Thank for the tip on BCN. Does it offer geo referenced photos when marking waypoints?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Clifton View Post
    Not sure, never used. I do all my work in Garmin Basecamp then download to the app. Since I also have an Oregon 600, I kill two birds with one stone.

    Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

  17. #17
    Registered User Elaikases's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-26-2016
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Age
    63
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDogg View Post
    These two apps are not even comparable.

    Gaia is a GPS replacement. The goal is to be everything that, say, a Garmin device is.

    Guthook's is a trail guide that has GPS capabilities. Guthook's contains information such as shelters, water sources, town and facility information. Guthook's allows users to comment on all waypoints to give status on them that is available to all users. Great for finding out if a water source is running or if shelters have pest problems. It also has pictures of every waypoint so that you know what to look for. Guthook's is much more than a standard GPS and is available for many more trails than just the AT. Yes, pricey but it is not just a GPS app. The app may not be relevant to you once you have completed a thru hike but it is awesome if that is what you are doing. I used it last year and swear by it. I wouldn't do any long trail without Guthook's maps if they were available.

    For what you get it is pretty cheap.

    And it keeps getting better.

++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •