WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Shuttle Etiquette

I'm going to be hiking SOBO from Neels Gap to Amicalola. I have a shuttle picking me up at the park and taking me back to my car when done. Is it considered bad form to ask the shuttle driver to stop at an ATM on the trip back to my car? I don't feel comfortable carrying a lot of cash with me on trail...

or perhaps, more importantly--does anyone know if there are any gas stations with ATMs between Amicalola and Neels??

Thanks for all the help, this is my first hike trying a shuttle.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

I don't think it's bad form. Odds are your shuttler is going to route back through Dahlonega to get you back to your car. BTW, get to Neels early. You have to park about 1/4mi down from the gap at the Byron Reese Tailhead and it fills up quick. I came though this past Saturday and people were lined up and down the road. You would be better off parking at the park, getting a shuttle to Neels and hiking back to your car.

I would just call the shuttle driver you are using and ask them ahead of time.
    some shuttle drivers ask for the $$$ once inside their vehicle.

Journal Entries

We carry cash with us on every trip, and not all in the same place. Not lots, but enough for the shuttle and enough for unforeseen events, like a bail-out shuttle, a lost wallet, a tow truck, etc.

If the shuttle is taking you back to your car at the end, you could hide some cash in your car if you don't want to carry it.

Generally better to hike back to your car and pay the driver at the start. Ask the driver if your plan is ok. ATMs can be thin up there.

Images

I've had numerous shuttles over the years. Never had a driver balk at making a quick stop. I do usually tip them a little extra at the end if the service was good.

Images

I would just mention it in the phone call when setting up the shuttle. They need to plan for extra time and/or distance.

If you spring it on them after they pick you up, you come across kind of pushy and presumptuous.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    I don't think it's bad form. Odds are your shuttler is going to route back through Dahlonega to get you back to your car. BTW, get to Neels early. You have to park about 1/4mi down from the gap at the Byron Reese Tailhead and it fills up quick. I came though this past Saturday and people were lined up and down the road. You would be better off parking at the park, getting a shuttle to Neels and hiking back to your car.

I'll be arriving on a Tuesday afternoon so I'm hoping this won't be an issue. The back up is to drive up to Vogel and pay for parking there.
    "I am learning nothing in this trivial world of [humans]. I must break away and get out into the mountains to learn the news." --John Muir

I believe the shuttle from Amicalola to Neels is about 80 bucks. I would just carry it with me and not worry about it. I was gone on a 16 day trip last month and carried about $400 on me the whole trip. If someone is going to rob me, they wont know where my money is or how much I have until I'm dead and if I'm dead, why does it matter how much I had? That's just my logic though.

As well, historically, a pre hike shuttle has been the way to go. However, it can be quite expensive when your trip goes south and now you have to get a second shuttle back to the car. I have done post hike shuttles for about 2 years now without a flaw. Biggest issue I have had actually is getting the endpoint on a trip an hour or so early and having to wait. I would rather wait an hour, then spend an extra chunk of cash to get back to my car.
    Last edited by Gambit McCrae; 11-06-2017 at 11:54.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I would suggest one of two things if you are starting at Neel Gap:

- Park your car at Amicalola Falls State Park and get a shuttle from there to Neel Gap to begin your trip. Most shuttle drivers prefer this as it is easier to schedule a time in advance. You won't have to worry about having cash for the whole trip either. It does cost to park at Amicalola, but it is the safest spot on the trail in GA to park.

- If you want to park at Neel Gap, you MUST park down the road at Byron Herbert Reese trailhead. It has limited parking available, and fills up very early on weekends. If you do not park in a designated spot, expect to have a ticket when you get back. You should plan to arrive well before noon on a Friday to be guaranteed a spot to park. Saturday mornings are a toss up. I have seen it completely filled by 9 am before. You have the choice of walking back up the road to Neel Gap (3/10 mile or so) to get on the AT itself, or you can take the Byron H Reese Trail from the parking lot to Flatrock Gap on the AT, which is 1.1 miles from Neel Gap. If the parking lot is full, you would probably have to go north on 129 to Vogel State Park to get to the next parking lot and hitch back up the mountain.

There are several ATMs in Dahlonega on the route a shuttle driver would have to take between those 2 spots. It should cost you roughly $80 for that shuttle based on my past experience. I recommend Ron Brown. I would let the shuttle driver know ahead of time that you need to stop at an ATM on the ride. Most will have no problem with this at all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    As well, historically, a pre hike shuttle has been the way to go. However, it can be quite expensive when your trip goes south and now you have to get a second shuttle back to the car. I have done post hike shuttles for about 2 years now without a flaw. Biggest issue I have had actually is getting the endpoint on a trip an hour or so early and having to wait. I would rather wait an hour, then spend an extra chunk of cash to get back to my car.
    Agreed--I'm on a budget so I'd rather tell the shuttler to pick me up somewhere else than have to slog back to my car if the plans change. Also, I'm driving up from Jacksonville, FL early Tuesday morning and I'd like to get a few miles in before it gets dark once I get up there so that's why I'm going with the post-hike shuttle. If I went the other route, by the time I got to AFSP, parked, met up with shuttler, and made it up to Neels, it would be well past dark.

++ New Posts ++