WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tours along the coast?

Hello Community!
    I am planing to go on the Appalachian trail for the first time and was wondering if there could also be some interesting boat trips alongside the coast I could attend. Maybe similar ones as you could have in Phuket from the Club Champagne Phuket?
    I am very open for suggestions of each kind.

Mathias

Images

the AT is, for the most part, is over 100 miles away from the coast. it might seem close if youre thinking in terms of a road trip or similar, but when youre out hiking thats a serious detour.

closest to the coast it comes is probably NJ/NY and the very southern part of CT. nothing especially thrilling along the coast near there comes to mind.

some river rafting is more possible.

I suppose once you finish up in Maine, you could head for the coast and take a whale watching cruse. It's likely you'll pass through Portland, ME anyway. You could take a harbor cruse in Boston too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I do not know if you could board at Bear Mountain and tale the trip in reverse, but there is a tour boat (Circle Line) from NYC to Bear Mountain. It is a nice ride up and down the Hudson River. Decades ago I sometimes used it to get to the trail and Harriman St. Park. Give them a call.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Hello!
    Huh, havnt realized that this trail would be that far away from the coast. Have had hoped it would be a trail along the coastline. In that case I would have been very happy if I would have found similar trips like this one who get offered in Thailand by the Club Champagne Phuket.

The east coast is heavily built up, sure there are various public lands but most of the coast is owned by someone who really doesnt want them in their backyard. If you sea kayak the Maine Island Trail is something that you might want to look into.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias33 View Post
    Hello!
    Huh, havnt realized that this trail would be that far away from the coast. Have had hoped it would be a trail along the coastline. In that case I would have been very happy if I would have found similar trips like this one who get offered in Thailand by the Club Champagne Phuket.
    you may want to research the trail a bit more.

and truthfully, theres nothing really like that along the east coast os the US, being near the trail and whether it is publicly accessible or not aside.

Hello
    Sorry I don't know about the boat trips, but I love to hear it. As our friends group is also planning to visit A.T. Please share your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I suppose once you finish up in Maine, you could head for the coast and take a whale watching cruse. It's likely you'll pass through Portland, ME anyway. You could take a harbor cruse in Boston too.
    Perhaps Portland is better, but we had little luck on one from the Bar Harbor area (in seeing the whales). A couple other times over the years (from Rockport and right out of Boston, MA) produced better results.

On the other side, if you want to do your own propulsion, doing a sea kayaking trip out of Bar Harbor is an option (and probably other places along the ME coast) or a deep sea fishing type trip out of southern ME as well (we've done both of those with Scout groups).

++ New Posts ++