WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Taboo- Osprey Atmos 65L/Aura 50L

My wife and I are thru hiking the AT in 2018. You guys have been great about helping me in our planning phase. I have read a dozen books on hiking the AT, including UL hiking tips, and I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on thru-hiking. So I'm not ignorant on hiking, just inexperienced. I'm almost scared to ask this question with all the UL info out: Is it a mistake to attempt to carry an Osprey Atmos 65L, and my wife carry an Osprey 50L????? I have only been able to try on a few packs. My first pack to try was The Atmos, with 20# in it. The REI that I was in had a second floor with stair access. I walked around in it for about 30 minutes going up and down the stairs and it felt like I didn't have anything on my back! I have been able to try a few other UL packs, but they were uncomfortable and it seemed like they were much heavier, even though they weighed up to 3 pounds less. Could it be that with when I tried on the UL packs I just didn't have them adjusted as well as the Atmos? I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good. Look forward to the input from those more educated and experienced than myself.

As far as I am concerned the most important thing is what does it take to get you on the trail and stay on the trail. The atmos may be a bit on the heavy side but it is a pack used by a lot of people and if you find it that much more comfortable then the lighter packs why wouldn't you use it? Hiking for days on end with a pack that is not comfortable will do bad things to your moral no matter how light it is.

I had Atmos AG 65 and it was comfortable but also suffered from unconquerable squeeking, hip pocket zippers that sucked, and it was heavy. I went to zpacks and like it so much better, maybe not quite as comfortable but still a very easy carry and very light. Mine carries heavier loads, like when I am going in to go fishing, very well too.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

The Atmos 65 is one of the best mainstream packs on market and one of the most popular packs on the trail, including among thru hikers.

Don't worry too much about what the ULers are doing while you're first getting started, it is a gear philosophy that has only become popular in the last 10-15 years and while it has a lot of good ideas which will benefit you, remember that they are just suggestions and not requirements. UL is just one of many gear philosophies and you'll find that it has a much larger presence on the internet than it does among actual hikers on the trail.
    Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-03-2017 at 11:53.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post
    My wife and I are thru hiking the AT in 2018. You guys have been great about helping me in our planning phase. I have read a dozen books on hiking the AT, including UL hiking tips, and I have watched hundreds of hours of videos on thru-hiking. So I'm not ignorant on hiking, just inexperienced. I'm almost scared to ask this question with all the UL info out: Is it a mistake to attempt to carry an Osprey Atmos 65L, and my wife carry an Osprey 50L????? I have only been able to try on a few packs. My first pack to try was The Atmos, with 20# in it. The REI that I was in had a second floor with stair access. I walked around in it for about 30 minutes going up and down the stairs and it felt like I didn't have anything on my back! I have been able to try a few other UL packs, but they were uncomfortable and it seemed like they were much heavier, even though they weighed up to 3 pounds less. Could it be that with when I tried on the UL packs I just didn't have them adjusted as well as the Atmos? I want to be UL, but the Atmos feels so good. Look forward to the input from those more educated and experienced than myself.
    With a large pack like a 65L comfort is key. I actually had the atmos 50L and sold it to buy a 65L. For a smaller pack I use a more UL option, granted I love Osprey, so it's not a black or JUL, I have the exos 50 if I'm not going to pack it tight. Now I could be wrong about all this for long distance as I have yet to do my Thru hike having to postpone mine from 2017 till 2019. But this is what I have come to learn as of thus far.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I would rather carry a 5 pound pack that fit well and carried weight like a charm than a 1 pound UL pack that didn't fit and had horrible weight transfer. Osprey makes a good pack, so if you are comfortable with it, go for it.

That being said, my ZPacks ArcHaul achieves both for me at 1.5 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    The Atmos 65 is one of the best mainstream packs on market and one of the most popular packs on the trail, including among thru hikers.

Don't worry too much about what the ULers are doing while you're first getting started, it is a gear philosophy that has only become popular in the last 10-15 years and while it has a lot of good ideas which will benefit you, remember that they are just suggestions and not requirements. UL is just one of many gear philosophies and you'll find that it has a much larger presence on the internet than it does among actual hikers on the trail.
    Hiking in Georgia this spring there were a good number of thru hikers starting out with Osprey, but it seemed like there were more zpacks arc blast and arc haul users. It might be that I was more apt to notice them, sort of like all of a sudden noticing how many of a certain model car are on the road once you get one yourself.

It would be interesting for Ron Brown and Donald Ballard or other shuttle drivers to do a survey and keep track of pack, tent, and hammock choices of people starting out on a thru.

The Trek did an AT pack survey this year and last year, and I believe both years Osprey was the most represented.

Journal Entries

Comfort is so very important and is why most backpackers and thru hikers do not use frameless packs. When getting ready for my thru I tried on some packs including a REI Flash pack and when that one went on I knew it was my thru-pack. I have since updates to the Exos which is awesome and sheds some weight as well over my well worn REI Flash. Both were/are considered very light 'full' internal frame packs (I put 'full' in there because there are flimsy internal frame ultralight stuff but that frame does not do much, these are full bombproof frames that work).

As for the size, I never understood the saying that if you buy a larger pack you will find things to fill it up with. It jsut does not happen, what does happen is things fit in easier, there is room so things don't have to be so hyper compressed. Also a lot easier when pulling longer sections w/o resupply and carrying extra food.

So if it fits and feels good go for it.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac64 View Post
    Hiking in Georgia this spring there were a good number of thru hikers starting out with Osprey, but it seemed like there were more zpacks arc blast and arc haul users. It might be that I was more apt to notice them, sort of like all of a sudden noticing how many of a certain model car are on the road once you get one yourself.

It would be interesting for Ron Brown and Donald Ballard or other shuttle drivers to do a survey and keep track of pack, tent, and hammock choices of people starting out on a thru.
    Since 2009, most years I spend a full week and a couple of weekends hiking in CT/MA/VT around the 1500-1750 mile markers nobo. Among the folks who have made it that far, Osprey and the Atmo in particular (with the Exos catching up) has been the consistantly most popular pack.

This isn't too surprising given that it is likely that the majority of A.T. thru hikers are fairly new to backpacking and the country's largest outfitter, REI, heavily sells Osprey packs. I actually think it would be fair to argue that asking "what gear is most popular with thru hikers this year?" is akin to asking what gear REI was pushing pushing last fall and spring (and that's certainly not a bad thing.)

Quote Originally Posted by soumodeler View Post
    The Trek did an AT pack survey this year and last year, and I believe both years Osprey was the most represented.
    Here's the link to the article:
    https://thetrek.co/appalachian-trail...-hiker-survey/

And a couple of the more interesting graphs:

Last edited by Sarcasm the elf; 11-03-2017 at 13:00.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

1 or even 2 lbs wont make a difference if the pack doesn't fit you.

I'm gonna be using an Osprey AG 65 for my 2018 thru-hike

I tried on the Atmos 65 AG in Houston. 40+ pounds. Didn't notice the weight at all.
    What I did notice was the semi-rigid pre curved hip belt. What the???? I can imagine it being very cumbersome to load in a car or on a plane.
    What really turned me off were the unusable hip belt pockets. What were they thinking? ULA wins the hip belt pocket race in my limited experience.
    Perhaps you and your wife could us the Osprey Exos packs and save a pound or so each?
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Journal Entries
    Images

If you're young and tough and full of snuff, the Atmos is a great bag. It's comfortable, though heavy. At 55, WW, you're in my age range. If you like the Osprey "ethos" look closer at the Exos. It's a 58 (at least the older model, and there's a Medium for sale right now on WB) and about three pounds lighter than the Atmos.

If you're gonna be carrying some of the shared gear, leaving your wife to tote her food and water and the remainder of the gear, look at an UL pack for her. There's no reason she should have that heavy a pack when you're splitting the load.

Just my thoughts, but you've got a whole winter to go through, and a lot of people on WB will be unloading gear between now and the 2018 season, you're sure to snag some deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Which Way View Post

Don't get an UL pack if you don't have UL gear. From my experience most UL get uncomfortable when you near the upper limit of the recommended top weight. Packs with more weight and suspension to them like the Osprey seem to feel the same even when pushing or just over the recommended max weight. That is my experience.

The Atmos is a darn comfortable pack, period!

Journal Entries
    Images

After a Viet Nam era tubular frame ruck and a large ALICE pack, my Atmos 65 doesn't weigh anything. I do think that it is a comfortable pack.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Thanks to everyone for your input!!! You have confirmed what I was I thinking on some things, and brought some things to my attention that I didn't know. I'm still undecided. I was able to try on the Exos, and it did not fit me as well as the Atmos. I will go with the either the Atmos, or the Zpacks, I am trying to communicate with Zpacks, but you must email them, and they only respond M-F. I emailed them Friday, but they were gone for the day. This got me to thinking about customer service on packs as well; I hear that Osprey has excellent customer service. So if return shipping isn't too much, I may order a Zpacks for each of us to try before pulling the trigger on a pack. I am a little anxious to get one and hit the trail for a few test runs though.

As others have said you should get all your gear before you decide on a pack....bigger the pack more needless crap your likely to fill it with...starting as late as you are I can’t see needing a 60 liter pack....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get a digital kitchen scale and weigh all your gear, plan it out on a spreadsheet. As they say, buy your pack last. UL packs pair best with UL gear (and UL budgets). Consider too your planned pace. The further you hope to get on a daily basis, the more useful going UL will be to you. And don't forget, it's a continuum. It's not UL or heavy. By looking at the weights and volumes of all your gear, you can make informed choices to go lighter when practicable. In my experience, lighter is more comfortable as long as you have good weight transfer. A UL pack that hangs on my shoulders is going to make me sore more quickly, and more sore, than a heavier pack that transfers the weight to my hips and legs. So you have to balance those objectives of lower total weight with where on your body the weight hangs. And there are other considerations as well ... bag design and features, for instance.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++