WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default UL First Aid/Hygiene Kit

Hey all,
    What do you carry in your first aid/hygiene kits?
    Mine still floats around 8oz including carrying case.

That includes the following (from memory)
    1. Tampons
    2. travel size hand sanitizer
    3. meds (advil, allergy, immodium, migraine meds)
    4. Small sewing kit
    5. moleskin
    6. med tape
    7. Antibiotic cream
    8. bug spray (prob can ditch this, not sure how helpful it is anyway, honestly)
    9. cuben fiber tape
    10. couple expandable TP/paper towel tabs
    11. compass
    12. ear plugs
    13. mini toothbrush and toothpaste
    14. travel size sunscreen

Looking for ideas about what to cut... that said, I'm a nurse and tend to be overprepared for emergencies, so I'm having a hard time removing anything from my kit. I know, we pack our fears..

Thanks!
    Last edited by lilbear; 11-02-2017 at 18:39.

Images

I'm around 8 oz. as well with the ibuprofen added in:

Hygiene - Total weight= 7.8
    Toob Toothbrush - 1.4
    Mirror - 1.4 in Sack
    Floss - 0.2
    Hand Sanitizer - 1.6
    Deuce of Spades - 0.6
    AMK .3 First Aid Kit - 2.6
    Kit contains:
    Bandage Materials4 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, 1" x 3"
    2 - Bandage, Adhesive, Fabric, Knuckle
    2 - Bandage, Butterfly Closure
    3 - Dressing, Gauze, Sterile, 2" x 2", Pkg./2
    2 - Safety Pins
    Blister / Burn1 - Moleskin, Pre-Cut & Shaped (11 pieces)
    Instrument 1 - Splinter Picker/Tick Remover Forceps
    Medication2 - After Bite Wipe
    2 - Antihistamine (Diphenhydramine 25 mg)
    2 - Ibuprofen (200 mg), Pkg./2
    Wound Care3 - Antiseptic Wipe
    2 - Alcohol Swab
    2 - Triple Antibiotic Ointment, Single Use

Last edited by Mountain Wildman; 11-02-2017 at 19:42.

You add stuff to your first aid kit that I add to other kits, personal hygiene, or repair. I leave the compass at home unless I plan on hiking above treeline. No case, just use a ziploc baggie

I don’t prescribe to the notion we pack our fears, it sounds so feeble and I couldn’t disagree more. As hikers we should strive to be prepared for whatever emergencies come not only our way but things that may happen to another hiker in need who maybe didn’t have the foresight. I look at it as an obligation to help another in need, though the courts may see it differently...go figure. Illabelle, not being critical of you, just that saying.

lilbear, no soap?

Bar soap
    toothpaste
    toothbrush
    razor
    Neosporin
    duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
    Hey all,
    What do you carry in your first aid/hygiene kits?
    Mine still floats around 8oz including carrying case.

That includes the following (from memory)
    1. Tampons
    2. travel size hand sanitizer
    3. meds (advil, allergy, immodium, migraine meds)
    4. Small sewing kit
    5. moleskin
    6. med tape
    7. Antibiotic cream
    8. bug spray (prob can ditch this, not sure how helpful it is anyway, honestly)
    9. cuben fiber tape
    10. couple expandable TP/paper towel tabs
    11. compass
    12. ear plugs
    13. mini toothbrush and toothpaste
    14. travel size sunscreen

Looking for ideas about what to cut... that said, I'm a nurse and tend to be overprepared for emergencies, so I'm having a hard time removing anything from my kit. I know, we pack our fears..

Thanks!
    You might shave a gram or two ditching the moleskin and medical tape and just carrying Leukotape. Hard to see what else you might cut out.

Thanks all! I think I'm gonna carry less tape and lose the ear plugs and moleskin. Feeling better about my choices after hearing from other folks. Just can't imagine going to a kit of a couple feet of tape, dental floss and needle, and a couple ibuprofen, yikes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its heavier, but look into leukotape - totally awesome for hot spots and does not come off easily.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I don’t prescribe to the notion we pack our fears, it sounds so feeble and I couldn’t disagree more. As hikers we should strive to be prepared for whatever emergencies come not only our way but things that may happen to another hiker in need who maybe didn’t have the foresight. I look at it as an obligation to help another in need, though the courts may see it differently...go figure. Illabelle, not being critical of you, just that saying.
    whoops! Lilbear not illabelle

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    whoops! Lilbear not illabelle
    No offense taken. I've just noticed that in my life, in general, I tend to do a lot of "oh I should bring or keep X because A, B, or C may happen" Some of that is valid, as you say, to help others, etc, but some of it too is just me being a worrier by nature.. that's why the saying seemed fitting. I'll never be someone who doesn't bring an extra layer, even in hot months, or who packs just enough food for the trip, for exactly the reasons you describe.

Consider a diva cup instead of tampons. Not that hard to keep clean and you don't have to deal with used tampons.

I don't carry tampons unless it's hunting season.

Don't know what to cut,but I know what to add:nail clippers. A split nail is very annoying,and hard to fix without a clipper.

No offense taken. I've just noticed that in my life, in general, I tend to do a lot of "oh I should bring or keep X because A, B, or C may happen" Some of that is valid, as you say, to help others, etc, but some of it too is just me being a worrier by nature.. that's why the saying seemed fitting. I'll never be someone who doesn't bring an extra layer, even in hot months, or who packs just enough food for the trip, for exactly the reasons you describe.
    I hear ya!

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Its heavier, but look into leukotape - totally awesome for hot spots and does not come off easily.
    Leucotape is great and sticks better than anything else I have ever found but sometimes I have found that it sticks too well and causes slight skin tears when I remove it if my feet get wet and the skin get soft. Nexcare is gentler but sticks better than moleskin for me.
    Thanks all! I think I'm gonna carry less tape and lose the ear plugs and moleskin..................
    Earplugs can be worth their weight in gold!
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Garlic
    Images

This is something that will change with your experience. If, after a couple of years you find you've never used some pills and you get tired of replacing them after they expire and turn to dust, you might stop stocking them. And you might find something else ails you chronically on the trail and you need to carry something for it.

Don't forget a needle and thread, tweezers and nail clippers. A single-edged razor blade is a good thing to have. For some, it could even replace a pocket knife.

I always carry earplugs. Makes a nice cover for my sewing needle.

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    A single-edged razor blade is a good thing to have. For some, it could even replace a pocket knife.
    Alternatively, a pocket knife kept very sharp can replace a razor blade for removing hair around a wound before you slap a bandage on.

You could lose the hand sanatizer and toothpaste and just bring a small bottle of dr. bronners. I use a 15ml eye dropper and that lasts me about a week for use as toothpaste, soap, shampoo, and dish cleaner when needed. it's also 100% biodegradable and environment friendly. Granted its not the tastiest thing to brush your teeth with but if you get the peppermint kind it is bearable.

I forgo the sewing kit and bring a bit of superglue/liquid stitches to remedy the same.

I typically say you don't need a compass but I always bring this one just in case. It's only 5g so its not a big deal.

I also carry Dr. Bronner's liquid soap, and figure I use roughly 1 ounce a week. I'd much wash off trail dirt than just sterilize the crud with "sanitizer". As for the compass, you might have a magnetic sensor in your phone and get by with a compass app. (Alas for me, no magnetic sensor in a Moto G4.) I've got this zipper pull unit to guard against rookie mistakes like heading backwards in the green tunnel after stepping off the trail, or over-insulating and waking up soaked with sweat.

SilvaForecaster.jpg

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++