Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by AllDownhillFromHere View Post
    Why is not about the trail anymore, simply because there's a herd? They're not exclusive.
    Very true, of course.

As another data point, this year I started May 14, there were some nights I camped alone, and others where I camped with a half-dozen others, most of whom were Trail Family anyway. Certain places seemed for form herds, like Idy or Wrightwood, but then those quickly dispersed.

Hike the empty miles between decent trail towns and you will see a very different crowd as you go.
    Yes, indeed. It's easy to avoid the Herd season, yet the trail is still impacted. Trash from "trail magic" and water caches lingers after the Herd has passed. The Anderson's are fine people I'm sure, I just wish they'd clean up their caches once in a while. While out hiking on the PCT our dog will run up with a happy "look what I found" expression on her face carrying a hunk of TP with a turd attached. Nice.

It's still a great and beautiful trail. There are really nice folks hiking it. That's a good thing. John Muir wanted us out there getting the good tidings.

And for those who want solitude California and the west offers trails and mountains galore.

It takes a long time to hike the PCT. For new boys like me I really don't know what to expect. I am going with an open mind and will adapt and learn as I go. I expect over the weeks I figure how it works. I am going to try and do the least amount of pre-organising as I can and react according to the conditions.

Who knows. I may hate it and be back on the flight to blighty withing 2 weeks.

Streety, yuo have a good attitude. It's an attitude that will get you a long way.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++