WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Poll: Do you prefer single or double walled tents?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

If your poll had one more option: BOTH!
    I could have voted accurately. I have owned 4 double wall tents and still have and use the two newest tents. I sold one of the earlier double wall tents to a friend and he likes it! I also own a solo single wall bombproof 4 season tent. With two solo and one 2 person tents I'm covered for whatever comes along. The double wall solo tent converts to a fitted tarp single wall shelter in about half a nano second.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post
    Ok, next question. Does anyone know of a double walled tent that uses cuban fiber... or i guess it is called dyneema now. I know the point have using dyneema is so that you don't need to have a second wall because it is, for all inTENTsive purposes, totally water proof but I would still be interested to know if one exists. Or at least one that had a dyneema tarp/outer wall.
    Add a Sea To Summit (or similar) bug net under a Cuban tarp and you have a double wall tent as currently produced by the industry.
    My first two double wall tents had Two walls. A solid fabric with screened windows & doors and a solid over fly. Somewhere along the way, the solid inner tent became 95% mesh. Effectively a 1.25 wall tent.
    When I bought new tents in the last 18 months, I selected a 2 person 3/4 solid wall inner tent and a solo solid wall inner tent. Getting back to the real double wall design. So far I am pleased with both tents.
    Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

Since I have a "free day" today, wife gone, errands run, I went ahead and did my little water absorption test I mentioned below. I share this in a separate thread titled "Cuben Fiber vs. Sil Nylon water absorption Test Results" in the general gear section. I was surprised at how much water cuben fiber DOES retain, but still, it is significantly better than sil-nylon.

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Since I have a "free day" today, wife gone, errands run, I went ahead and did my little water absorption test I mentioned below. I share this in a separate thread titled "Cuben Fiber vs. Sil Nylon water absorption Test Results" in the general gear section. I was surprised at how much water cuben fiber DOES retain, but still, it is significantly better than sil-nylon.

Looking forward to this one!

It's a moot point for me. I have discovered that at my age, I hate sleeping on the ground and am switching to a hammock setup. It may be another half pound penalty, but worth it for the comfort, IMO.
    zig-zag man

There is no such thing as free.

Quote Originally Posted by zig-zag man View Post
    It's a moot point for me. I have discovered that at my age, I hate sleeping on the ground and am switching to a hammock setup. It may be another half pound penalty, but worth it for the comfort, IMO.
    Interesting timing because I too am going to give hammocking a try after years of intense pressure from some of my rabidly hammock-loving friends. One of them even sent me THREE full hammock setups of different lengths to try, along with 2 underquilts and a winter tarp! These guys are relentless, LOL!!

I went to my local park yesterday and spent 3 hours setting up and 'test-driving' them and I must admit they are damn comfortable and far less fussy and complicated than I had imagined. And the total system weights are starting to rival the weights (and prices!) of similar ground combos.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Interesting timing because I too am going to give hammocking a try after years of intense pressure from some of my rabidly hammock-loving friends. One of them even sent me THREE full hammock setups of different lengths to try, along with 2 underquilts and a winter tarp! These guys are relentless, LOL!!

I went to my local park yesterday and spent 3 hours setting up and 'test-driving' them and I must admit they are damn comfortable and far less fussy and complicated than I had imagined. And the total system weights are starting to rival the weights (and prices!) of similar ground combos.
    When I am going solo I always use a hammock. Unless I know I will be in a geographical location that doesn't support hammock setup (ie: alpine hikes above treeline, it can sometimes be hard to find a place in the desserts of central Oregon, etc.) Way easier to set up and more comfortable.I prefer using a sleeping pad over an under-quilt because it helps keep the underside a little more ridged and flat. Definitely the way to go for a solo hike. However my wife much prefers sleeping in a tent so we go that route when I am hiking with her. I also share a tent when hiking with a buddy because it is might lighter to split a tent and share than bring a hammock setup.

[QUOTE=cmoulder;2178498]Interesting timing because I too am going to give hammocking a try after years of intense pressure from some of my rabidly hammock-loving friends. One of them even sent me THREE full hammock setups of different lengths to try, along with 2 underquilts and a winter tarp! These guys are relentless, LOL!!

neil-innes-writer-quote-ladies-and-gentleman-ive-suffered-for-my.jpg

I love that one!

No shortage of enablers, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVogel View Post
    Ok, next question. Does anyone know of a double walled tent that uses cuban fiber... or i guess it is called dyneema now. I know the point have using dyneema is so that you don't need to have a second wall because it is, for all inTENTsive purposes, totally water proof but I would still be interested to know if one exists. Or at least one that had a dyneema tarp/outer wall.
    The saying goes “for all intents and ​purposes”

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    irregardless

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    irregardless
    *Triggered*

So. Are these hammock thingies double or single wall? Or did Y’all just hijack and drift this thread?
    👍😄😎
    Wayne

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ggreaves View Post
    irregardless
    That's a myriad of good advice...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    So. Are these hammock thingies double or single wall? Or did Y’all just hijack and drift this thread?
    some might see it that way. However, when you hammock, you're in a single wall tarp shelter... with an asterisk. You sleep high and dry and level no matter the weather, without condensation, which is different than a single wall shelter on the ground.

that makes a lot more sense.

purposes live in the water, why would they need a tent ?

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Well, actually, if you have it pitched too close to your hammock or you have a tarp with closed ends, you can get condensation, but now we're picking nits and since a tarp's drip-line is not down onto a bathtub floor, a little condensation dripping down the tarp never heart anyone.

I don't understand this waterproof pack desire people seem to have. If it's raining enough to soak a bunch of your gear, then your gear still needs to be carried, and most of us can't carry 100% of our wet and damp gear on the outside of our pack so we gotta carry wet gear inside our pack along with our dry stuff, so we still need to separate out our dry stuff inside our pack, so what's the advantage of a waterproof pack? . . . yeah, thread drift. Maybe I'll start another thread.
    Good point.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    
    Wayne
    Hijacked.

I use a single wall(ish) tent..? sort of. Hexamid solo plus. Location and pitch set up is important to keep condensation from happening- it's easy once ya get the hang of it. I like it, although it's not perfect but I haven't seen anything that will work better for my purposes.

Oh, for the record; I also have a bombproof 4-season double wall 3 person tent, an inexspensive double wall solo tent, and a double wall base camp tent/mansion.

I do wish that hammocks were lighter. I'd much more consider them if I could share a hammock for two with my wife and get less weight to carry too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++